M & M are just back from the Vet.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

M & M are just back from the Vet.

Post by Judy Fox »

Last week Milly and Mabel had their "Senior dog Screening" examinations - Milly on Tuesday and Mabel on Thursday. Mr. Snelling told us that they are both in very good condition and that their blood, urine, ECG results and everything else was very good. :D

However, he said they both needed a dental check and he suspected that Milly might need some extractions. :(

They both went in this morning and had a full dental treatment, descaling and polishing and sure enough, Milly Ching had 5 teeth pulled out. They are both home now and are a little woosy but they were pleased to see us and they had been good girls and had all the nurses coo-ing over them.

Better than on Thursday when Mabel was a little baggage. She was not naughty or snappy or anything but when the nurse put her back in her pen after her examination, she put a bowl of water in for her to have a drink. Mabel immediately picked up a front leg and "doofed" it over! :roll: So they mopped up the water, put a new blanket down for her and another bowl of water. She did the same thing! :roll: \:D/

They were very amused when they told us.

I shall be glad when tomorrow comes and they are feeling a little better, poor little loves.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: M & M are just back from the Vet.

Post by Sirchow »

Hi Judy, I'm glad to hear they are both well but poor Milly she must be very sore poor girl. :( I'm sure a bowl of ice cream would go down very nicely! Will she be able to eat alright once they have healed? Obviously Mabel had to show her dissaproval of the situation somehow after all they are stars now. :lol: :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you Siriol - Mabel has just staggered out to spend a penny and come back in and is fast asleep again. Milly is still fast asleep and is showing no signs of waking at the moment. She will be fine once she is healed. Mr. Snelling gave her an injection for combat the pain to get her through the night so I do not expect much from her until morning. I just wish they were back to being my sweet girls. The worst is not being able to explain to them why we just "dumped" them at the surgery this morning and did not go back for them until 3.00 p.m. I hate it, I really hate it. :cry:
I will be glad when this night is over and they are a little more like themselves. I expect Mabel will be fine by morning but little Milly will take a little longer I suspect. :(
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Poor things, but it's good to get those things done and out of the way sooner rather than later. I know what you mean about feeling like you're abandoning them. I always cry in the parking lot.

Please M&M to feel better soon so Mum can stop worrying so much.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad M & M got a good report! Better to get those teeth pulled now rather to have more problems later. We have a 4 yr. old horse that had to have an abscessed tooth pulled and so far we've paid @ $4,600 on the whole ordeal. I'll bet both girls will feel quite a lot better tomorrow!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel are certainly looking better this morning and I think they are feeling better.

Little Milly, bless her, woke me up at 4.45a.m. to go out and spend a penny. She slept in our bedroom but Mabel had decided to sleep in the sitting room. As Milly and I walked through, Milly nudged Mabel's nose and grunted at her at which point Mabel got up and they both went out.

Mabel ate some supper last night but Milly has not eaten yet. I hope to tempt her later. She was not a bit interested last night and wasn't this morning either.

At the moment, they are both having a snooze in the front garden. :D
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Glad to hear they have had a good night - probably much better than yours. I am sure Milly will eat soon when she has slept it off a bit. My daughter (vet nurse) helped to take eighteen teeth out of a rottie yesterday which was only three years old! So Milly obviously brushes hers a lot better than some. I hope they are both back to normal soon. Hugs x x
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yoshi here,

Your poor girls. My dad took me for teeth cleaning too but I wouldn't let them extract my tooths. I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Tell mummy and daddy to give you a little ice cream. you deserve a treat. I don't blame you for tipping over water, I would have done much worse.

hope you are feeling better

Yoshi
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Ahh, I feel their pain.. Iam heading to the dentist now to get a cleaning.. can they knock me out too.. I'd much rather be knocked out.. Iam dentist phobic. Iam already creating a headache just thinking about being in that chair and people probing around in my mouth.. Yuck.... One good thing I thought it was Thurs. and the office called last night to tell me its today so I didn't have as much time to think about it.
Thats what happens when you get old. You forget. I hope they don't find anything wrong. I cringe at the thought..
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Ooo, I am glad Millie and Mabel are home and ok. I know it's horrible when they look at you and don't understand why you just left them at the vets. Luckily, after they are home, it seems like they don't remember.
Mia
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Glad to hear the girls passed their senior exam. Hope Milly's teeth aren't bothering her much now?? I cryed every time I had to leave Kearra & Kyra at the Vets. Even when you know its necessary, you don't feel good about it and the time passes soooooo slow until you get to go and pick them up.
Hope they are feelin' good today and lounging in their garden

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh it is so hard to leave them at the vets office. I am glad they are getting back to normal. Hope her teeth or lack of are not bothering her too much.

Hugs to both of them
SweetPea Rocks!!
IdahoMike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IdahoMike »

how old are Millie and Mabel?
Angus (1995-2008) and Wiley (Jan. 17th, 2008- )
Forever my Chow boys

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel will be nine in September.

Milly and Mabel are both feeling a little better today I think. They are supervising Fred mowing the lawns - they love it when the grass has been cut.

The only thing is, we have not seen them drink any water - Mabel ate a light meal on Monday evening but Milly did not. Milly ate her tea last night and also Mabel's as Mabel did not want it. They both wanted my breakfast this morning so I warmed some milk for them and put half a Weetabix in a bowl each - Mabel ate both as Milly did not want hers.

At the moment I have two chicken fillets cooking for them so I will be very surprised if they both don't eat tonight - they love chicken. :D

I wish they would drink though - last night Milly was very interested when Fred had a mug of water just before we went to bed so he poured some from his mug into their water bowl - she thought about it but then decided not to drink. So Fred then 3/4 filled his mug with water and put it down on the floor by their biscuit bowls. :lol: :roll: Milly almost drank some - anyway I picked it up this lunch time - they did not drink any of it. I expect they will drink all in good time - I have tried every which way and how to pursuade them, all to no avail. :?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

You could try making them a chicken broth with some veg and lots of water. I'm sure they will drink soon though. xx
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

So glad to hear they recieved a clean bill of health!! I cannot believe that the gorgeous M&M are already nine years old!!! Gosh, how time flies!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Time does indeed fly Roxana - I look at them myself and wonder where the years have gone.

We have just returned home after taking them back to the vet for him to just check how they are. He was well pleased with them and said Milly's mouth is healing up nicely.

They have started drinking water now and they both ate their dinner last night so I am content. The vet said to keep Milly on soft food for another week so she is going to have all her favourites - they are having tuna and rice tonight.

They did not want to get in the car this afternoon and when we were in the waiting room and the vet called us in, Mabel was happy to bumble in to see him but Milly was not going in - no way! :lol:
chris

Post by chris »

awww... glad they are doing so much better. :-)