Chow Mix Needs Immediate Home...PLEASE HELP!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KodisMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Mix Needs Immediate Home...PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by KodisMom »

We have a Chow & Australian Shepherd mix. He has only ever been around our family and was always very protective of all of us and our home. Whoever gets him would need to work with him since he has to get used to new people before he trusts them. But after that point, he wants to be a lap dog :D He has always been wonderful with all 3 of my children. We do not have any other pets and he does not like cats. Someone would just have to be patient with him.

We adopted him from a rescue shelter almost 10 years ago as a puppy. I recently got divorced and had to move into a duplex. My ex-husband kept Kodi at the house, but, he had to move out. My ex-husband never shared with me that he could not take Kodi with him to the new house that he is moving into :| I am not allowed to have any pet at my duplex that weighs over 25lbs. But, as I type, Kodi is at my duplex right now :? I called the shelter that we adopted him from hoping that they would take him and find him a loving home. They said that they do not take dogs that are as old as he is and her only advice was “take him to your vet and have him euthanized” :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: My mouth was gaping open when she said that to me and I started to cry :cry: All 3 of my children and I love Kodi and it already breaks my heart that I cannot keep him :( I definitely do not want to put him to sleep, that is just out of the question. We live in Manteca California, but, I will be willing to drive anywhere within 4 or 5 hours away if I knew I could take him somewhere he would be able to have a loving home :) PLEASE, if you know of ANY place or anyone that would be willing to take him, I would be ssoooooo grateful. Below is a pic of him with my son :D :D :D I am hoping that someone will see this post and be able to help me out. I would be so very grateful!!!! Thank You :D
Zhuyos mom

Re: Chow Mix Needs Immediate Home...PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Can you talk to your Duplex's manager and see if you can pay extra each month so Kodi can stay with you? Kodi looks like he's errr... 39lbs :shock: ? Well, maybe your vet can write down he's 39lbs or lighter (even if he is heavier). Then maybe you can get letters of recommendation on Kodi's behalf from the vet, groomers, family, friends - whoever he might have had contact with. Then explain how old he is and he may have just 2 or 3 years left and you really want the kids to experience the life cycle of their beloved pet. Sometimes when apt. managers or duplex/home owners who lease or rent their property receive documentation like that, they become flexible to one's situation.

Otherwise, if you are not able to find a forever home for him you can try contacting some local rescues. I've volunteered for Rocket Dog Rescue in San Francisco. Grateful Dogs Rescue in San Francisco is a good rescue. There is also South Bay Pure Breed Rescue in San Jose (they take mix breeds too). Tony LaRusso's ARF in Walnut Creek. Sacramento is about an hour/45 minutes from Manteca. You can try Chow Chow Rescue of the Sierra Foothills or Scooter's Pals.

Good Luck.
KodisMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KodisMom »

Thank you so very much! :D I did actually think about asking my duplex manager again. She herself is a dog lover, so that is in my favor :D I am going to call her today and talk to her about it. I will post how it goes later today. Wish me luck! And thank you very much for the rescue information. I have already called and left messages with them. I will hope for the best with my duplex manager though, being very optimistic :D :D :D Have a wonderful day!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good luck to you!! I hope the duplex manager will see things your way. Please keep us posted as to how it all turns out. Again...GOOD LUCK!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
KodisMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KodisMom »

G-R-E-A-T News!!! I got a phone call from my property manager yesterday and she talked to the owner of my duplex and he said that we can keep Kodi!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D I would be doing cartwheels, if I could, lol :wink: In my favor I think was that she is a dog lover and it turns out she shared with me yesterday that the owner of the duplex is too! I am so ecstatic that we get to keep our Kodi bear :D My kids were sssooooo happy, I can't even tell you how relieved I was :D Thank you for your help with info about rescue's if that had been the route we would have had to go!

God Bless O:)
Have A Wonderful Day!!!
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

KodisMom wrote:G-R-E-A-T News!!! I got a phone call from my property manager yesterday and she talked to the owner of my duplex and he said that we can keep Kodi!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D I would be doing cartwheels, if I could, lol :wink: In my favor I think was that she is a dog lover and it turns out she shared with me yesterday that the owner of the duplex is too! I am so ecstatic that we get to keep our Kodi bear :D My kids were sssooooo happy, I can't even tell you how relieved I was :D Thank you for your help with info about rescue's if that had been the route we would have had to go!

God Bless O:)
Have A Wonderful Day!!!
That's awesome news!!!!!! Makes my heart sing!

Lou, thanks so much for stepping in and offering the options.

Purple kisses from my Kodi to yours.

Good day!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

That is great news. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am so happy for you and your family, especially Kodi! This is great!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Glad to read you and Kodi will stay together! Now, get the okay in writing!!! Should the manager leave, should the owner sell the property to someone else, at least you have it on paper. I think all you need to do is write a line on your lease, have the manager review it and both of you initial the line.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Wonderful news. I was following this story. So often times it happens things don't end on a positive note. Good on everyone who made it happen.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

This is so great for all of you. You have been through a tough time and I am so happy for you that you do not have to loose your Kodi who is beautiful. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
KodisMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KodisMom »

Oh my goodness! Thanks to all of your for your sweet responses!!! :D He seems to be ssooo happy and is adjusting to his new home well. Just a few days ago, my older son who is 5 was lying on the couch and Kodi was next to him on the floor and he was petting him and he said "Mom, Kodi is my best pal" :x It was so adorable!!! I am thankful that I do at least have a small yard out back with a big tree so he has lot's of shade in this hot weather. My mom has also been going over and visiting with him when she feels well during the day while I am at work. She had also been very worried that we were not going to get to keep him. I will be signing the paperwork with the landlord that states he will get to stay. Thank you for the input about adding it to my lease, if that was not already the case, that was some very good advice :) I am posting a pic below of my angels so you can see how much it meant to not break their sweet little heart's. Thanks again for all of your help and the wonderful comments. All of you have a most wonderful day!!! [:D]
Attachments
Portrait1.jpg
Portrait1.jpg (156.37 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

What a beautiful family you have and now you have Kodi as well. It is so nice to read a happy story like this - best friends reunited. I hope you will stay and contribute to the site now you have found us. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS

I am so glad you are able to keep him
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

This is wonderful! I am so happy for all of you!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Woo Hoo!!!!! Fantastic News. God bless the property owner, property manager, Lou, you, Kodi and your family!!! Please keep coming to the site and post some more pics in the photo gallery. No such thing as two many pics!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Brilliant news - Thank God for some lovely news like that and some understanding people. =D= =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubbybear »

Great news. Mia and TYton welcome you.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Never hurts to ask .. and this is proof.. So happy your situation turned out for you and your family and chow.. We were approached to move into a 55 and older community by friends and when we saw the dog limitaions , it was 25lbs and under and breed restrictions we said forget it.. We like being able to make our own choices. I realize some people are forced to move into situations they don't have control over so its nice to see that some people can bend alittle ... Actually our friends dog was more annoying (barking) and destroyed things in the house (chewed woodwork) and was not house trained.. and growled and nipped at people .. so there it goes to show you breed and size mean nothing.. made Nikki look like a 56lb angel..
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

chowpups wrote:Never hurts to ask .. and this is proof.. So happy your situation turned out for you and your family and chow.. We were approached to move into a 55 and older community by friends and when we saw the dog limitaions , it was 25lbs and under and breed restrictions we said forget it.. We like being able to make our own choices. I realize some people are forced to move into situations they don't have control over so its nice to see that some people can bend alittle ... Actually our friends dog was more annoying (barking) and destroyed things in the house (chewed woodwork) and was not house trained.. and growled and nipped at people .. so there it goes to show you breed and size mean nothing.. made Nikki look like a 56lb angel..
We looked for a 55+ community too and one in San Jose had the 25 lb. restriction, but then we found the one we're in now (NO size restriction!; heck there's a great dane here!). Most people have small yappy dogs and they are crazy and undersocialized (IMO). They lunge and snap at Kodi when we pass and she just looks at them like 'what are you?!' Everyone one here just LOVES Kodi!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Swancin too funny about yappy's .. LOL
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

I am so happy for you and your family! I felt like doing cartwheels for you (except I can't do them either! :lol: ) hehehe \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

I just read this post for the first time and had a tear in my eye for the first post.

It is so great to hear it has all worked out !! Great news, I personally would rather move then loose a pet. Our 10 yo Chow mix was dumped at age 6 after his owner moved house and the new place had dogs and he didnt get on. Just wrong in my opinion. SUCH GREAT NEWS !!!
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
KodisMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KodisMom »

Hello Everyone!!! :D

I wanted to thank all of you again for all the wonderfully sweet comments!!! =D= I am still so thrilled that we have our Kodi bear with us. Although, last night I got a knock on my door from my neighbor, thankfully NOT the one that I share my duplex with, letting me know that Kodi was being quite barky around 8am. He works nights and is trying to sleep at that time. I let him know that is when I go to work and that Kodi needs some time to adjust to his new home :) Well, I decided to not risk any more complaints, so, Kodi is the King of the castle today :wink: I decided to just let him stay in the house :D I don't want to risk losing Kodi now that we just got him back. Here is a pic I took of Kodi over the weekend. As you can tell, he is getting utterly and completely s-p-o-i-l-e-d :x lol.

I have a question for you all. I don't know what kind of food my ex was feeding him, but he has gotten a little on the skinny side. Do any of you have some suggestions to help get some weight on him? I am feeding him in the morning when I get up and in the evening when I get home from work. I have been mixing wet food into his dry food and he eats it all with a few minutes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much again for everything :D :D :D I am ssooooo glad that I found your site!!!

Have A Wonderful & Blessed Day! O:)
Kodi2.jpg
Kodi2.jpg (5.61 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Have you wormed him recently? Sometimes these things can be overlooked - especially when you are busy.
If not, I suggest you get a good worm treatment from the vet - one that sorts all the kinds of worms out, not just round worms. If he has been wormed then the others on the site will be more help regarding food than me. I am not familiar with all the foods available over The Pond. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)