Is she small?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is she small?

Post by DOHMAN »

Just had my girl fixed at the vett and she weighed in at 27 pound and she is right at 6 months old. Curious what you all think, is she a little on the small side? I was hoping for her to get up to around 65-70ish but at this rate I am not sure if she is going to or not..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is she small?

Post by Sirchow »

She sounds quite small. Bramble weighed about 40lbs at that age and she is quite a small chow just on the low side of breed standards for a girl. Small is beautiful!!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Yogi is almost 4 and a half months and is only 23 lb's i think. I too am wondering if hes going to be a smaller chow.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My Milly and Mabel are quite small for chows too - again, just within the size for breed standard. I don't worry, I just love them the way they are. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

There is quite a range of sizes for chows. I have had girls from 48lbs to 70lbs myself. I think Auddy's Lily is the smallest girl I've met. I would guess she is less than 40lbs.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily was
7 pounds at 3 mos
13 pounds at 4 mos
22 pounds at 5 mos
27 pounds at 6 mos
33 pounds at 7 or eight months, when I had her spayed.

She porked to 34 lbs at 2 years, but lost a pound. She topped out before a year, which I didn't expect. I tried to feed her more, but only got her to eat more treat-like foods, and less of the staple food. People are confused by her size, and add to that she is a dilute color many people don't know Chows even come in, and as a result, she is called puppy or Pomeranian all the time! Victory's Firesong is also a petite thing. It does not change their 'tudes one bit!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly was weighed at the vet's this morning and she weighed 35 lbs.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Angel is pretty small, too! She last weighted 38 pounds (up from 35 and a half last year at this time!) and she is full grown (12 going on 13). I wouldn't be too concerned, but I'm not sure many lady Chows get to be 60-70 pounds?
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

Louie is 36 pounds at 19 weeks old and Mailie is 60 pounds and is 4.5 years old.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

They sure do come in a wide range of sizes.
Kearra is almost 3 yrs and has weighed 34-35 since she was 8 mos, it never changes
Kyra on the other hand is 2 yrs and weighs 56lbs she tends to gain weight easy and has been up to 60......she will eat all of what you give her.....sneek Kearra's food if she can get away with it....and anything else she can find....squirrels, lizards, birds, toys etc.

Thanks Sweetpea!
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Bella is also one of the smaller shows around here she was about 28-30 at 6 months. she is fully grown now and is 17 months and she only weighs in at a whopping 38 pounds. Very "petite" says the vet. But they do have a large range in sizes, Bruin is already pushing 50 and is not 7 months yet.

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

I think females do tend to be a bit smaller. Aesop is a male and was 26 lbs at around 13 weeks. He's 16 months now and he was 73 lbs last month.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

19 weeks this week for yogi weighed in at 25lbs