Chow's Tail (help)

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ToniAnn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow's Tail (help)

Post by ToniAnn »

Hi, Just recently joined this site in hopes of getting some help with my eleven year old chow. His name is FozzyBear and he's the light of my life. He's in good health for his age but recently he's been walking around with his tail down, well not down, but flat, uncurled. I've never seen him do this before and it makes me worry that something is wrong. His behavior is the same, his eating habits are the same. It's just the tail and he doesn't do it in response to anything particular, he just walks around with it down sometimes. Has anyone else seen this in their Chows? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow's Tail (help)

Post by CoraP. »

I had a chowmix named Bear who lost the curl in his tail as he got older. I always guessed it was due to age and the muscles not being able to hold the tail up like when he was younger. He also started to have trouble using his back legs as he aged, and I felt it might have been connected somehow.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Hi ToniAnn!

My Chow, who is 12, does that, too! I agree with CoraP that it has something to do with the back legs losing their strength. I've noticed Angel having a difficult time standing up every so often.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Frisco did that once and my mom freaked out and rushed him to the vet thinking his tail was broke or something. $100+ emergency vet bill later, we found out nothing was wrong and it was back to normal the next day.

I have seen Carter's tail down once and it was only for a short time.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Trooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Trooper »

Someone else on the site - had similar experiences - was advised to check the *Censored Word* sacs - could be causing discomfort - a vet would need to 'express' them if you were unable or needed to learn how. Just a thought.
I once had Trooper do this but he was found to be in a 'low mood' and it soon passed and has not happened again. He is now 13 months old. Good luck.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Trooper wrote:I once had Trooper do this but he was found to be in a 'low mood' and it soon passed and has not happened again.
Hmmmmm... low tail equals low mood. So, tail position is a DIRECT indicator of mood? Makes sense. Tie his tail up on top of his back and see if that elevates his mood! :lol:

Loha's Dad
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Brambles tail goes down if she is in pain or on heat. Obviously not the second but it might be worth checking those "getting older" joints with the vet.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
panshay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by panshay »

hi, my chow mix let her tail hang down also one time. it was very unusual for her. i went to the vets and he diagnosed a strain in her back muscles. rimadyl (pain relief meds) for a few days did the trick.
i guess yr dog might have a problem with the back or hips get him checked asap.

good luck
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Coco wears her tail down only when she feels bad: she's affraid of something (big lady trying to touch her head) or when her tail is itchy and she tries to bite it, but it's always for a very short period of time. I guess a visit to the vet is in order for FozzyBear.

Panshay, I love the pictures on your blog. I only wish I could read German...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/