Leela's "mommy" is at the bridge

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Leela's "mommy" is at the bridge

Post by threedogjeep »

I haven't posted for a while....have been busy caring for my 16 yo Caitlyn....which finally ended today with the release of her wings and send off to the Rainbow Bridge. Now I am worried about Leela. She was released at home, with Leela and Godzilla present. So they understand, and they got to say goodbye. But now what about her beds. She had about 5 beds, so she could keep and eye on me comfortably in any room. Should I remove those quickly? Part of me wants to, part of me doesn't..and what is best for my dogs that remain?
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Leela's "mommy" is at the bridge

Post by vicster605 »

I'm soooo sorry for your loss......I don't know what to tell you to do, except to do what your heart tells you, it will be the right thing. Give Leela and Godzilla lots of hugs and one from us too [:D] I will keep you in my prayers

Thanks Sweetpea!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

It's sad to hear that Caitlyn's gone off to the Rainbow Bridge...but it was good that Leela and Godzilla were present. In my experience I found it was good to keep the possessions of the animal that passed around for a while...it really helps the other animals cope w/their own grief and find comfort in the smell of Caitlyn left on the beds, etc. After all they not only have the memory of her passing but all the good memories too that they also would want to savor. They'll go and sniff for her scent periodically or may choose to take possession of the beds. You'll notice when the time is right to either remove the bed or just clean them.

Spend some quiet time w/Leela and Godzilla as well as play time and all will do fine. Take care of yourself, breathe, and may you find comfort and peace.
Hugs and kisses.
Jennifer & Sheena
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so sorry to hear that Caitlyn has passed. My sympathies go out to all of you. :(
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Caitlyn had a wonderful, long life, and thanks to your care, a dignified death. As others said, let it be until you feel it is time to move the beds. Your furkids will guide you. I am sorry for your loss.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry - she will be in The Happy Hunting Ground now and there will be no more pain.

Regarding her beds, I suggest may you could move 2 or 3 of them and see how the other two react. Maybe they might like to use them themselves. If they don't after a while, you could then remove them - if they do use them, just leave them. They might get comfort from having them.

Hugs from us. :) [:D] [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Caitlyn will never truly be gone as she will always be in your heart. It sounds like you did the very best for all three of them and it is good that Leela and Godzilla could be there at the end. They will need time to grieve and get used to her passing. I think it is wise to keep some of the baskets around. When my horse's foal died she stood over it for two days and then it seemed to really get through to her that he was gone and she moved away and we could bury him. There seems to be that need for animals to realise in their own time and I think leaving some things that belonged to Cailtlyn will help. I am so sorry for your sad loss. [:D]
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I am also sorry for your loss. Don't change things too much too soon, they need time to grieve and to come to terms with the loss as well.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

I am so sorry for your loss. When we lost Fozzie last week I had the same reservation about all of his "Things". I have left the bed and toys so that Chewie will be able to be around his scent. It is a blessing that your other dogs were there to say goodbye.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Juniper wrote:It's sad to hear that Caitlyn's gone off to the Rainbow Bridge...but it was good that Leela and Godzilla were present. In my experience I found it was good to keep the possessions of the animal that passed around for a while...it really helps the other animals cope w/their own grief and find comfort in the smell of Caitlyn left on the beds, etc. After all they not only have the memory of her passing but all the good memories too that they also would want to savor. They'll go and sniff for her scent periodically or may choose to take possession of the beds. You'll notice when the time is right to either remove the bed or just clean them.

Spend some quiet time w/Leela and Godzilla as well as play time and all will do fine. Take care of yourself, breathe, and may you find comfort and peace.
Hugs and kisses.

I am so sorry to hear this. my deepest condolences.I agree with Juniper, they will take comfort with her smell on the beds, Eventually when you and they are ready you can slowly remove them,

David
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

feedigng times are the hardest. I see her bowl. All the food I had prepared for her...you see, the last six months I made her food from scratch. Leela is still sleeping tucked up against her primary bed, the one where she died, just as if Caitlyn was still there. Yesterday, she was laying on the one in the sunroom. Godzilla is still very afraid, walking around her bed and clinging to me. Leela and I fell asleep on the couch with her lions head wrapped in my legs and her chow tail in my nose. I didn't mind. They finally want to come into the feeding area. But Caity was fed in a separate room so she didn't have to hurry or fight them off....and then they always came in and cleaned up the floor (she could be messy). Wait, I just heard a loud noise in the sunroom .... .. Back, and I saw NOTHING out of place. the pack always stayed there during the day (there is a half door into the house and a dog door outside). That is also the feeding area. It must have been a sign from Caity. She IS OKAY!!!! I know some don't believe in such.,, but I do. I was hoping she would show me she wasn't mad at me...and still loved me. I need to know that.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Caitlyn loved you and trusted you and you took care of her including the hardest decision we ever have to make for our pets. She will always be watching out for you and giving you little signs you just have to be open to them. X X X X
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlwaysTango »

I'm not sure about the beds, but when we lost Tango it seemed to help Zilla to sleep with his head on her bed and smell her scent.
I am so sorry for your loss!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

your other furkids needed to be part of Caitlyn's crossing the bridge...too often the humans don't remember that the furkids are family and they need to say goodbye, too. In as much, they also need to "let go" over a period of time. I know several people that make sure all fur and non-furkids are part of helping the loved one cross the bridge.
I'm so sorry for your loss but I think Caitlyn is running free and happy now - when it's time, you will be with her again.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh