General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

And the award goes to...

Post by nelliegirl »

Hello All!!

I have to say Nellie has always had a little anxiety when I leave for work in the morning. She knows when I am leaving because I take her out a second time, pour my coffee and get my purse to leave. She always walks me to the door licking my hand the whole time (as if to say PLEASE DON'T GO!!!) I give her a rub and say "I love you" and leave. Once and awhile I can hear her scratching at the door as I am walking down the back stairs.

So...Starting last week after we come in from her second walk she has been going and laying on the rug in the hallway. I try to give her a rub or a pat on the head and she very dramatically (as only a chow can) whips her head away from me and huffs. She is not being aggressive just displaying a oscar worthy performance. The first time she did it I laughed out loud it was quite hysterical. I try to say "Good-Bye or I love you" she will not look at me. Apparently she is not as worried that I am going to forget about her and not come home.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: And the award goes to...

Post by Dogdad »

oh how funny, sounds like she is punishing you for leaving.

David
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

She isn't rejecting you, she is rejecting the action. If she stops the routine, she stops your behavior...lol.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry does a similar thing. He goes and squishes himself between the couch and the side table, lets out a unhappy fuff and looks at you so unhappily. Makes me feel so guilty, I of course tell him I love him, I will be home soon and to be a good boy which usually means I get another fuff.
Attachments
christmas 2007 004 small.jpg
christmas 2007 004 small.jpg (125.34 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Thank you Sweatpea
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

And I thought Gracie was the queen of guilt trips! When I would grab my shoes to leave for class, Gracie would get up and walk away. Would not walk me to the door or anything. Just lay on the foot of the bed with the saddest look I have ever seen. Wouldn't even lift her head up to respond to me. I always left feeling guilty. They know exactly what they are doing.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Ah yes. Controlling Chows! When it's time for me to leave, Troy gets all excited...walks back and forth as if we are going somewhere...whenever he gets excited he needs to go out and wee wee. Since I don't want a wet carpet when I get home, Troy and Sheena go out for the third time and then I'm late for work-both of 'em take their good ole time to respond to my "IN NOW!" Today I just told Troy...to stop getting excited...he's not going out-he stopped pacing immediately. We'll see if I get a surprise tonight!

Sheena just lays directly in my path, aloof w/tail wagging and then I need to step over her to get to the front door. Sheena goes into slow-mo whenever I ask her to get up or get in or do anything. Don't know if it's stubbornness or her being 8 years old...probably both. Yet when I get home she goes stir crazy w/excitement, jumping over objects, even fights w/Troy anything just to get to me. She hops like a bunny and runs back and forth and turns in circles. Either Sheena and Troy are hitting off each other's energy or Sheena still has those abandonment issues from that year and quarter on the streets and sulks during the day waiting. That's why I got Troy 3 years ago-Sheena was really depressed after being alone in the house for 1.5 years and didn't even come to the door when I came home. Troy's happy I'm home but he needs to go potty badly and heads directly for the sliding door.

In any case, it's nice to come home and leaving is a drag but I do chuckle every day before I leave!
Jennifer & Sheena
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

jonathanfsu1 wrote:Juniper, you are correct..The breed has the art of persuasion down to a science..Therefore, the occupation of a Chow ought to be an Attorney...:))).
Hmmmm you definitely have something there! I live w/two prospective chow attorneys who are in cahoots w/each other. Another attribute! These chowtorneys are costing me boo kuu bucks and don't do all that much for it! :roll:
Jennifer & Sheena
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

When I put my shoes on, Coco wags her tail and smiles at me, saying "Can I come too?". If I tell her I'm going somewhere I cannot take her, she stops the tail and looks at me saying "Are you sure?". Then she goes on the cowhide under the table in the dining room and look away :roll: until I'm gone...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bramble lies tight up to the front door but only when I am leaving for work and I have to try to get her to move, open the door and get out without her sneaking through. It is quite hard to do. She stays there for a few minutes incase I have forgotten something and want to come back. For some reason that has to be a struggle too. Sometimes I have had to push the door open with her still lying down leaning on it! But if I start the car before going back she is gone, happilly lying in the kitchen chewing a chew. :roll:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.