General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

woof
Rank 0
Rank 0

More on Black and Brazil

Post by woof »

Hello Chow friends-
Thanks for all your gracious comments about Black--I told him that he's received a bunch of compliments!! (he acknolwedged them in his own noble way) Yes, his name really suits him, Mally. Everyone speaks portuguese in Brazil (with very little knowledge of English in the northeast--we rarely hear it) so his previous family chose the name Black, I think, as it is english and thus a bit exotic here! Some people here understand it but I generally have to explain that Black is "Preto" in Portuguese and then people really think the name suits!
Coco Chow: With regards to your questions about Chows in Brazil- We have split our time here so far (I am an American woman in my 30's and my partner Phil is Irish-we are here for work) between 2 towns--Mossoró and Fortaleza. Mossoró is about 200,000 people and Fortaleza is a state capital of about 3,500,000. Despite the large sizes of these towns, I have actually seen very few Chows. (probably 3 in Mossoró and a few more in Fortaleza). In both cities, many dogs of medium to large stature are considered guard dogs rather than pets. (It is a cultural aspect due to the crime rate) Particularly in Mossoró, I have noticed grown men jumping to get out of Black's path as they assume he is aggressive (nothing could be further from the truth). Brazil is actually larger than the lower 48 states and so I'm sure that there are a lot more Chows in other cities--particularly Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo where many wealthy Brazilians live. I would have to say that the most popular breed in our area is the Yorkshire Terrier! (many people live in high rises in Fortaleza so they tend to go for smaller dogs)

One of the things I love about Black's uniqueness in our area is that he brings a lot of joy to people that see him on the street. The northeast is the poorest part of Brazil and many people have never seen a Chow before. I have been asked repeatedly with absolutely sincerity if he is a wolf ("lobo"). (I'm also told repeatedly that he looks like a bear or a lion) Kids run to him when we are on our walks. On every walk I probably talk to at least 3 people in a passing conversational way because of my special friend.

We've had Black now for over a year, actually, so we are all very happy family together. Auddymay, you are right--he is a precious gem. I am so happy that we found each other and I am dumbfounded that his previous family didn't want to live with him anymore. His previous family certainly took care of all of his needs (food, water) but left him outside all day and would not interact with him (the mother decided that the young kids could not touch him and the family never really interacted with him). I do think that some of the gardeners that looked after him were good to him (others not so much as he is generally skittish around men). He grew up for 4 years with a Shar-Pei in the same yard and I think they alternated between providing each other company to fighting (Black actually sent the Shar-Pei to the hospital a few times according to the gardener). The Shar-Pei was put down right before we adopted Black because he contracted leishmaniosis (there is an epidemic here). Leishmaniosis is carried by mosquitoes and passed on by biting an infected dog and then biting another dog or human. Because of the danger to humans and the controversial fact that Brazil does not authorize treatment of the disease (it is eventually fatal) in dogs--it is a law to put down a dog that has contracted it. This is one of the 'good' things about our recent move to an apartment--although not his preference at the moment, Black is spending more time indoors. We are also starting his vaccine against the disease...although it's not 100% effective.

Well...I better stop there! I will post some questions later. Black will definitely be moving with us wherever we go next in the world--yes, this is a 'forever' situation and we are so happy. I am putting another pic below--this one he is really smiling!! :-)
Attachments
black close up on bench.jpg
black close up on bench.jpg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
AmberLea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: More on Black and Brazil

Post by AmberLea »

What a beautiful boy he is!

You are both lucky to have found each other, Black is a very outstandingly handsome boy, i love him and his cheeky smile!!

=D=
The heart of a Chow cannot be taken by storm, but once given is yours forever...
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I agree that Black is certainly beautiful! He deserves a good home (as all dogs do)!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I keep expecting him to wink in that pjoto - he really has a cheeky smile :wink:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
woof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by woof »

testing....