Can anyone help me ?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

alp675
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can anyone help me ?

Post by alp675 »

I have a chow/lab and he's very friendly and likes kids too, but my problem is he chews everything and the latest were my glasses lol now i can't see very well. I need to break him from chewing things and getting into the trash,he does this things when we leave the house or at night time. Can enyone give some advise on how to break him of this habits?. Any help will be greatly appriciated Thank-You. By the way he's 6months old.

Alma and Shadow
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sounds to me like a touch of separation anxiety and boredom at least he's not tearing the house apart when you leave like some do. Try buying some chew toys and leave the TV on when you leave the house. My Chow is rarely left alone but when we do leave her alone we turn the TV on to Nick at Night, she seems to like the voices from the cartoons and will lay in front of the TV.
When ever my Chow Pekoe gets bored and wants attention she will sneak in and start tearing papers up and if the bathroom door is open she will grab the toilet paper and pull it off the roll, she just does this stuff when she's bored.
Go easy on the chew toys I bought my Chow some and not knowing what flavor she liked I bought all the flavors it turns out she didn't want any of them and has never touched them.
kingalls

Chewing

Post by kingalls »

At six months they still have that chew thing going on so you need to keep the chewables out of reach....that includes the power cord to your PC :D
shoes, cushions, etc. We also bought things for them to chew and they were about 50% accepted. Shiloh likes the squeaky toys and Mr. N likes more earthy things like rocks and branches. Is Shadow the only Chow or dog in the house? If so, you might find a good chew alternative is a RAW bone that still has the marrow in it. Make sure it is a raw bone because the cooked ones are very dangerous in that they can splinter and become a huge medical problem. If you have more than one Chow or dog, you might see a food aggression issue because the dominant one will want both bones. While they are puppies they will want to chew - although Chows don't seem to be as bad with chewing as other breeds.
Mr. N is just over a year old and Shiloh is about 2. They are out of the chewing stage....hang in there a few more months and the chewing will eventually go away. If there is any separation anxiety as Jeff mentions, then that is another problem.
Good luck,
Karen
alp675
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you for your advise

Post by alp675 »

I want to thank you for your advice,I never had a chow dog before and I guess you could say shadow just kind of got left on my lap, my son got him and just brought him home one day then he got in trouble with the law, so now he's gone for a few months, anyway he's the only dog in the house, and he gets very jealous if somenoe in the house gets close to me lol, he won't go on the bed if my husband calls him if i'm not in there too helistens more to me then anyboby in the house, well except when it comes to chewing things up :P , i babysit and he lets the kids play with him, so i'm glad about that he has chew bones and he likes to put them on the couch to chew them, i guess is because of all the little kids around tho, but he does seem to like to nip at my 7 yr old tho, they can be just sitting on the couch then shadow will just reach and nip him on the arm or hand I told my son he probably just wants attention.

Alma and Shadow