nanook was attacked

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

nanook was attacked

Post by chowkidz »

This is why we do not own guns. :evil: We have been attacked by this dog 6 times now. 4 from when Jade was still with us and 2 with Keyko and every time this freaking dog comes after Nanook. Monday morning my sister and I took the kidz for a walk . The dog was tied out and for some dumb a$$ reason the owner decided to take it into their house and didn't shut the inside door /:) and BAM the dog broke thru their screen door and came charging at us. Before I knew what happened this dog was after Nook. Once the dust settled and the owner finally got control of their dog I looked Nook over, checked his side’s chest and head. 5 hours later Nook sat on my foot and when he got up to walk away I noticed I had blood on my foot. We checked his tail and found a 3 inch gash right at the base of his tail. Off to the vets 3 hours and $620 later we had him back home.
The pictures are from a cell phone so they are not the best, one is Nooks tail after the stitches and the other is Nook in his eeyore stance after his dose of pain medicine. My poor lil guy all he wants to do is go for walks. He has been such a trooper with all this and Keyko has been great with him also, not being the typical little sister.

The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: nanook was attacked

Post by CoraP. »

Aww, the poor guy. I'm glad you found the gash in his tail. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Poor Nanook! You must be so mad!

Coco got nearly bitten by a Weimaraner just this morning at the park, he wanted her, running after her and barking and he was really close, Coco was so unfraid, it was awful. The owners were telling me "he just want to play", right :roll: stupid people! I saw that Weimaraner playing later with another dog, that was totally different. How come people can't read their own dog!!

Anyway, what are you going to do about the vet bill?
How is Nanook reacting now that he's home, with the pain medicine and everything?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so sorry this must have really shaken you up. Poor Nanook all he wanted to do was mind his own business and go for a walk. Is there nothing you could carry to spray on a dog like that? The trouble is it happens so fast and it is the owner who should get something sprayed on him. I hope Nanook is feeling better soon. Hugs and purple kisses from Bramble X X X X
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I think I would be paying the owner a visit with the copy of the vet bill. He needs to know that damage was done and learn to handle his own dog.

Hope nanook heals quickly poor guy.
SweetPea Rocks!!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

I'm glad your dogs ok!! But the owner better pay for the damages. I would take him to small claims court if he doesn't pay and sue him for double the vet bill stupid owners.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

That is terrible. I would definitely present them with the bill. When they say they won't pay, tell them you have no other choice but to make formal charges, then do it. There is no reason for a second attack, let alone a sixth one. I am sorry poor Nook was hurt.
FNG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FNG »

I predict a 7th attack since there has been a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

I blame the other owner for the first attack but not the remaining ones.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hell - how horrible. I am so sorry and I do hope that Nanook gets better soon, poor little guy. Take a strong walking stick with you and threaten to beat the $*** our of the dog :twisted: that might just indicate to its owner that you mean business.
Please give Nanook a hug from us. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Glad you located the injured tail and hope Nanook is feeling better.

From a legal standpoint, whether a dog breaks through a screen, jumps a fence, etc., it is the responsibility of the owner who couldn't control his dog to pay the entire vet bill. . Anyone has a right to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of their neighborhood and should be able to walk their dog(s) without interference or fear of another neighbor's dog attacking them.

I hope you present the neighbor with the vet bill and if they are unwilling to pay in full, take the necessary legal action in small claims court ...the court also allows for pain and suffering of the injured animal depending on the extent of the injury. It is a good idea to contact Animal Control, and report an incident by filing a complaint whenever someone has had a problem with controlling their dog and it has attacked your chow while it was on leash. Also mention that this is the seventh time you have had your chows attacked. Animal Control will send out an officer to speak with the person and inform them of the law. The owner will think twice and there will probably not be an 8th time.

Good luck and hope Nanook heals quickly.
Jennifer & Sheena
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Thanks everyone even FNG.............
We did give the bill to the owners last night they were shocked yet did not say they would not pay it. My boss's wife is a lawyer and he was going to talk to her last night for us to get some advise for us. We have calls in to the dog warden and ARL who takes care of these situations. I will be calling them again today.

Maybe i miss led everyone. The first 3 times the dogs chased us down the road, not contact. The next two times contact thankfully no damage that is when i bought the stun batton. Then this time I had the stun batton that i bought and I was prepared to use it, I missed Nook payed for it.
FNG wrote:I predict a 7th attack since there has been a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

I blame the other owner for the first attack but not the remaining ones.

FNG if you have something to say just say it. Who do you blame for the remaining attacks? These are the step i have taken to walk my dogs after each time. I have called the state cops 3 times each time i have been told that unless the dog bites me they can not do anything. I have called the ARL everytime that dog came out after us and a report was made but again because no contact was made nothing but a warning can be done. I purchased a stun batton. I have spoken to the owners. I have tried changing the times i walk so they owners are working and the dogs are not out. I CAN NOT change our route. The only other road is Old 22 the speed limit sign says 35 but the average is 60. If you want to see where i live let me know and i will give you my address and you can google the map thingy and get an birds eye view and let me know what i should do.
How is the owner not to blame when they know they have an aggressive dog and do nothing about it?
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

that owner better pay for it.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

So sorry to see Nanooks injury.. I think they should pay . and apologize.. and keep their dog under control better. We live on a circle so to walk our dog we have to go past everyone on the street. (we at the bottom). We had a golden retriever on the street that would break threw her electric fence everytime we went up the street with our dog.. It was really annoying.. She would come charging and then jump on Nikki and growl and the fur would fly.. She never bit Nikki but it was a pain just trying to walk nicely up the street. And Nikki was so not into it, she just ran around in a circle trying to get away..
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm so sorry to hear Nanook was attacked. The term, "mad" doesn't come close to how you must feel?
I would venture to say that these folks are not going to be responsible and pay the vet bill, or they would
have stepped up when you presented the bill to them.
I hope you discussed a deadline to pay? These kind of folks have a tendency to simply dump their dog
and pretend it never existed. Be prepared, get photos of them with their dog, and photos of the dog at their house.
You most likely will have to go to court, but don't give up.

Colonel was attacked recently by a dog, however I don't know who the dog belongs to? We have a few acres and the dog was making a
claim to part of it. All I know, Colonel came running back inside one day, and he was bloody. There were bites to his neck, leg, and hips.
I was livid!!! I went to look for the dog, however didn't find it. Strangely, that was about a month ago, and I haven't seen the dog since.
At first, looking at Colonel, I thought the other dog got the best of him, however I now think Colonel must have torn him up, because he's no where to be found! It's sad, because it's not the dog's fault, the dog's humans should have looked out for him and kept him up!
In this case, Colonel taught the lesson. In your case, you will have to teach these humans a lesson.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!