He is NOT an Akita!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

He is NOT an Akita!

Post by summer_rose03 »

I had Carter with me at a dog event for my rescue today. He was the only dog that was even close to Chow (besides one other that kinda looked a little Chow). There were 2 Akitas (who's family had to ask what my dog was!). Anyway, I can not tell you how many people thought he was an Akita, and some thought Shiba Inu (which are 1/3 his size).

I heard people whispering behind me "is that a Chow?", "I think it's an Akita". To which I would turn to look at them and tell them is 3/4 Chow, 1/4 Husky. Then I would have to go into the whole Chows aren't mean speech. I kept waiting for parents to pull their kids away at the mention of Chow, but none did. Everyone was very impressed with him and his story. He did well representing the breed (even if he is only 3/4). I love taking him in public with me to dispel the Chow rumors. I am thinking about printing out little cards about the Chow to carry with me for people like that! Might save some breath on my end!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Auddymay

Re: He is NOT an Akita!

Post by Auddymay »

Even the PBs aren't immune. Someone once thought Lily was a big Pomeranian. I am sure Carter represented well!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

You done good kid! Brilliant, just brilliant!!!!
I like the idea of a card explaining, "All About Chows". You are on to something!!!!!
I think it's a smart preemptive campaign to keep Chows off the list of Bully Breeds that continues to sweep our nation.
I think I will do it to! If we went forward with a strong word of mouth campaign, we could surely make a difference!

Auddy,
Until, landlords change their view of Chows, I too have a Giant Pomeranian!!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I actually had someone (who, by the way, worked for the Humane Society!!!) come up to me when I was walking Chia, our first chow, and ask, "Is that a bear?"

Kinda like when I was walking Tempest, our current little Diva, and she had just come from the groomer's and had pink bows in her hair and someone asked me, "Is that vicious?" Yeah, right, the pink bows are on there to fool you...
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

LOL I could perhaps see a slight connection to Akita, but honestly Some people are clueless. Some thought Yoshi was a " full size Pomerainin . I get a lot of comments that Yoshi looks like a lion but no one has asked me if he is a Lion. Maxine just gets comments that she is a pretty girl.

David
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I really do like that idea about the cards. I was visiting down south and had to get my hair done and the girl when she found out I had a 1yr old grandson and a chow, she immediately said "you don't let your dog near your grandson do you?" I looked at her and said they just spent a whole week together running around the house and playing. Aiden took great pride in feeding Nikki everything he didn't like on his tray. anyway for a dog that is not use to having a little one under foot she was excellent with the baby who visits only once every other month if we're lucky.. so its not like she was even raised with a baby around. I do keep a close watch on both .. Its only natural for a baby to thow himself on the dog (trip while learning to walk) and pull her fur (trying to get up) with so much of it there.. so both have to learn to be gentle with each other. Nikki was a real trooper throughout the week.. Aiden got to see zoomies and laughed and laughed.. but only while in the arms of Grandpop...Now at home he wants to do zoomies himself.. Mom is just thrilled with that one.. he runs in a little circle and gets dizzy.. lol
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Someone on the street asked me one day looking at Coco: "Is it a dog??"...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I think I will make up some cards in the next few days. If anyone wants the file, please let me know! I also want to make him a bandanna or shirt that says "Yes, I'm a Chow, and no, I won't bite you!". All he will do is lick people, no biting. Someone leaned down to his face yesterday and all he did was lick their face. Real scary huh?
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Ok, so I made up a little info card in Microsoft Publisher. It is postcard sized and designed to be printed on both sides. I have the file available for who ever wants to print some at home. Here is the info I included on the card, with a picture of a Chow.

Front:

Getting to know the Chow Chow
and learning about their personality

Size: 45– 70lbs Unique Trait: purple tongue
Coat: Rough and Smooth coats
Colors: Cream, Blue, Red, Cinnamon, Black

The dangers of popularity
In all honesty, some Chows do have temperament problems. The breed went through two periods of dramatic public popularity, once in the 1930's and again during the 1980's. In a rush to cash in on this popularity and sell puppies quickly for a profit, unscrupulous or inexperienced breeders and pet owners often used Chows with unsuitable temperaments for breeding. Believing the myths that Chows were supposed to be unfriendly or aggressive, they didn't know or didn't care that this kind of disposition is not acceptable in reputable circles. Experienced, responsible breeders with a sincere interest in what's good for Chows and the people who buy them refuse to use stock that is aggressive or shy.

Please note: The breeding of Chows has become more selective, lowering the risk of behavioral problems and aggressive behavior. Aggressiveness arises from lack training and/or socialization and poor breeding.

Back:

The Chow’s temperament is often misunderstood and many people mistakenly believe that Chows are vicious dogs. This breed is naturally suspicious of strangers and very territorial. They take their homes and family very seriously as well as their responsibility to protect what they love. On his own property and especially without his owner present, the Chow can appear to be quite fierce. He will seldom let a stranger pass unchallenged. People used to the warm welcomes of other breeds are unprepared for the seriousness of the Chow; guests must be greeted by the owners before the dog accepts them.
The Chow's appearance also contributes to the myths about his temperament. The scowling, sometimes wrinkled face, small deep-set eyes, and lion-like ruff are intimidating. Some people complain that they can't "read" a Chow's expression as easily as other breeds'. The Chow's natural aloofness, dignity and indifference to people outside his family is often misinterpreted by people who expect most dogs to be outwardly friendly and affectionate. The Chow saves his affections for those he loves dearly and finds little reason to seek attention from anyone else. He minds his own business and simply doesn't care what other people think of him!

So, when greeting a Chow, be cautious, as with any dog, and ask the owner permission before approaching the dog. Don’t automatically assume the dog is vicious simply because it is a Chow or Chow mix. Well socialized dogs are less likely to have issues in public. For more information on the Chow Chow, please visit our forum below.
www.chowchow.org
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Carter is much sweeter than Iam at the moment.. I think if a stranger put his face down to me I might bite or at least growl. There you go I'll be on the bullylist next.. LOL.. I better make a card for myself.
Yes Iam human and I do growl and bite, but my dog is a sweetheart and wont bite. LOL
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I just tell everyone that Chows are "mutant" domesticated bears!!

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi,

I'd like a copy of the card. Would you like me to PM my email addy? BTW, Carter does look very Akita like (as in your sig picture). I can see why someone would mistake Carter for one.
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

I remember as a kid all the other neighbor kids were afraid of our chow because they sincerely thought it was a bear/lion mix!

And I'm sure we've all seen the chow with dyed ears, eye patches, and legs made to look like a panda. Everytime I've seen them online there's at least one person that comments, "It's so unhumane and dangerous to be playing god and mixing something like a panda bear and a dog!!"

While it's cute to imagine that they aren't dogs but various ferocious and adorable wild animals, they're rep is anything BUT cute!

My sister had to search high and low for an apartment that not only took dogs, but chows! There were several places that seemed perfect except they had a list of breeds you couldn't own: rotweilers, pit bulls, and chows! We were considering lying saying she was part samoyed (tsunami *is* white) or a huge pomeranian! It was too big of a risk and after over a month of looking we found a place that had no breed or size limitations on dogs!

A card seems like a great idea, hope everyone finds success using them!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Anyone who wants the card file can PM me there email address and I will send it out.

If you look in my Carter photo threads, there are more pictures that probably look less Akita and more Chow. He has a solid black tongue too.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!