90 Dogs Seized From Lancaster County Home

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 90 Dogs Seized From Lancaster County Home

Post by CoraP. »

Oh wow, we visited Teri in Dec. of 2006 and Sydney (Saint) was there. He was the one my husband wanted to adopt! I fell in love with Molly and she's the one we ended up adopting! Our other dog is a male, and I didn't think it would be a good idea to have 2 males. I'd love to see pictures of both Sydney and Sophie! I feel the same way about Teri. It makes me sad to think she says she hates herself. I also hope she'll be able to work with chows in the future.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
SophieSydney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SophieSydney »

Sydney grew up to look like a Golden Retriever and has the personality to match. Sophia is a princess and she knows it! She is very spoiled. You can veiw pictures by following this link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/e7 ... directlink
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Aww, great pictures! Thanks so much!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Alot of us knew and worked with Teri for a long time. Her compassion for chows is legend, now marred by her own inability to realize she crossed over many lines..

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/237855

I'm going to remind you though, that while some of you are marginalizing this event due to her inability to say the word, "no", many chows suffered tremendously because of it. Two even died, and 4 others had to be put down, what's worse is that "some" chows were well fed, groomed and clean, while others were not, which demonstrates a selective desire to neglect them into a slow but lingering death.
This more than says it all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms5cclLewYk

Myself I wish Terri the best and hope she seeks treatment and gets the help she needs to get back on track.

Please read the attached. I'm glad that more and more complilations of information are becoming available to us to help us better understand the process of hoarding.
http://www.animalsheltering.org/resourc ... sheet.html
MM
:(
Last edited by Merlin on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hoarding is an illness. I do not want to minimize the the situation, but I do sympathize with Teri. Yes, she crossed lines. Rescue is a slippery slope when it comes to these lines. How many rescues keep too many animals, if for only short periods? Many. The end justifies the means. It is an easy jump from keeping over-limit for a short period of time, to keeping them longer-to hoarding. It is unique in this situation of hoarding that she was actually trying to adopt the rescues out. She was a successful rescuer for a long time, also not a normal hoarding symptom.

Should she be able to go back to business as usual? No. Should she be kept away from all manner of rescue involvement? Yes, and no. At this time, she may wish to seek counseling to understand how she ended up where she did, and let the fervor of this case die down. When it is all said and done, though, I do think Teri has a lot still to contribute if she is so inclined, but should involve herself with an already exsisting rescue, and not try and have one of her own.

Truely, I do see the seriousness of the situation. I know it is bad. But like the Chows she tried to save, I see that maybe Teri is not a lost cause, either.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Rescue is a slippery slope when it comes to these lines. How many rescues keep too many animals, if for only short periods? Many. The end justifies the means.
I beg your pardon?
Yes loads of rescues keep more than they should, the demand on them is high, but the animals are fed, clean, in kept in good health.
This was NOT the case at Teri's place while these dogs were in her care.

- And at some point people who don't suffer from hoarding related illness say the word NO. I don't like turning away dogs either but I have to.

I don't know where you get your information from but rescue certainly is NOT a slippery slope into hoarding, so don't say that. The end does NOT justify the means when it comes to the mishandling and mistreatment of animals.

Should she ever have access to animals again? I'm in no position to say. Right now by law, she is not permitted to have any animals. Please be aware of that.

CHeers
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I never said rescue leads to hoarding. I said she crossed lines, and that many rescues do at times- which you agree to be true. And while the end situation at Teri's may not resemble keeping too many temporarily, I would put money on it that is how it started. Rescues at times, have to do things against regulations to save an animal. THAT is the slippery slope. I simply showed how it could have progressed for Teri.

"...at some point people who don't suffer from hoarding related illness say the word NO..."

It is the point of saying NO that is subjective. Your 'point' may be much clearer than say, the GS rescue up the road. While you may think their policy is irresponsible, they might look at your rescue and think you are being too conservative. Is either rescue wrong? Depends on who is looking. The fact is, Teri operated for a long time without an escalation to hoarding. It is hubris to think that any of us are above developing a mental illness. It just happened that something changed along the line for Teri. Not knowing Teri's personal life, I cannot say what triggered her illness. Nobody on this board can.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Auddymay wrote:Is either rescue wrong?
Well yes, it's wrong if you can't provide or worse, ... WON"T provide for them adequately.
You must have missed the part about how some were very well looked after, while others weren't

- then yes, sure it's wrong.
I don't consider myself conservative, but I'm realistic enough to know that these dogs have to be fed, and most of them are going to require some sort of medical care, probably a spay or neuter and some shots.

Sorry let's agree to disagree.

Not knowing Teri's personal life, I cannot say what triggered her illness. Nobody on this board can.
You're right about that one.
What is it is that pushes some people over the edge, and others not.
I guess that's the million dollar question.

Cheers
MM
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I was actually comparing your policy to my imaginary GS rescue. Of course, all should be feed and vetted. We actually agree more than you know, I think it is just a difference of the question of is there anything left for Teri in rescue. I hope she can participate in the future- that is not saying she should ever have a rescue again, she should not. But, I do believe there can be some redemption through volunteering to help other rescues...in the future.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Merlin wrote:...I'm going to remind you though, that while some of you are marginalizing this event due to her inability to say the word, "no", many chows suffered tremendously because of it...
I've stayed silent on this topic because I don't know Teri enough to write a judgement on her behavior or chastise her for what was in her heart. I do think you are incorrect, Merlin, in assessing the members here are *marginalizing* the event. Stunned, shocked, horrified even, but not marginalizing and no need for reminders. The members here are bright enough to know the severity of what occurred and have read as many articles as they please to inform themselves - a couple have even offered their time to volunteer and assist with the recovery phase. What I do know about Teri is she is a registered member of this site. And having gone through such a public humiliation, possible mental illness or simply the guilt she might have experienced by saying "no" to the people asking for her to take in the chows she had, whether or not she logs on to the site, Teri does not deserve from us (cc.org) not to be supported in a healthful manner. So I say again, "I'm going to remind you" is not necessary as this discussion has moved forward. As shared, a few of the members here owe her for their chow happiness. That is enough, imo, to offer her whatever kindness we can to her as she lives this nightmare.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Is anyone here speaking about her in a hateful manner? I certainly am not.
I've worked with her in the past, and I clearly mentioned that her caring for chows is legendary.
I've only known Teri to be a kind and caring person.
All I'm saying is lets keep things in perspective, and yes, there are some people here who DO seem to be
forgetting that dogs did suffer.

This person needs our support but not to get back more dogs, but to get the encouragement needed to seek help.
Please don't put words into my mouth.
That's not what I'm about.

Cheers
MM
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Tisk, Tisk, are you girls having a spat? Personally, I think SOME people, need to mind their own business! :roll:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

No Red, we were having an exchange of thoughts and perceptions. We-uns call it a discussion...
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I think SOME people, need to mind their own business!
I really don't understand that comment at all.
When dogs can't speak for themselves and come into harm's way without choice, we are our brother's keeper, so minding our own business isn't going to help them now is it? Thank goodness someone finally decided NOT to mind their own business. What a fractious if not assinine comment irregardless who you might be referring to. My frustration with that kind of useless sarcasm is palpable.

At the same time, I just know you were standing at the head of the line with your wallet open to donate towards the all the generated medical bills for these chows. The cost of rescue and re-homing 90 chows was a tremendous one and there are extraordinary medical bills which still need to be paid. We won't even mention the man-hours donated by volonteers, some of whom are STILL working diligently to get these dogs back into homes. How dare you.

There were many people still involved in the re-homing of these victims, so your financial help is required.

Chow Chow Rescue
of Central New York
C/O Cindy Stone
5913 Brownstone Path
Cicero, NY 13039

or directly to

Chow Welfare
http://www.chowwelfare.com/
in aid of Rescued Lancaster Chows
Better Yet ! Adopt!
kricketmc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kricketmc »

While those suffering from mental illness deserve compassion, in the case of animal hoarding, it is the innocents that suffer most from another's illness. Anyone who has watched the animal planet shows protraying the raids on hoarders, with trash everywhere and neglected, sick animals, have had a glimpse into the horror. What makes the situation being discussed even more painful was the obvious supreme care of the 'favorite children' and the extreme abuse (beyond neglect) of the ones kept in cramped crates, suffering with illnesses and conditions that went on for months, even years. Two of the dogs that were euthanized were unable to stand up because of broken bones. Most were so matted they needed to be shaved down exposing severe, painful skin conditions. One sweet soul had mutlple longstanding medical issues exacerbated by lack of attention and being cramped in a too small crate for well over a year. This is beyond 'crossing the line'. Help was offered and refused, even before there was any inkling of the severity of the situation. In this case the denial was severe, but there were enablers within the family that were also in denial.

While I hope Teri gets the help she needs for HER sake, the only way she can get better is to stay away from rescue, or animals, for quite a while. Just like an alcoholic who beats his children, just because they have gone into rehab, when do we say, he loves his kids but crossed the line and we shouldn't have to worry about his being around children any more.

I do not wish Teri harm, but right now my focus is on the dogs that have to be re-rescued, now in far worse condition than when she 'rescued' them. And the Chows in shelters and other situations that need rescuing are the indirect victums of this illness because of the time, energy and finances this situation has cost many of us in Chow rescue.

For me, the past month has been far from marginal. There are still several Chows and mixes from this seizure that need Rescue, fosters or forever homes but with help, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Speaking for myself, i don't ever want to go back to that dark place again, looking into the helpless faces desparate for help and relief from their emotional and physical pain.

I think there has to be more awareness of the signs of when a "good rescue goes bad". In retrospect, they were there. No longer letting people come into the house, offering to take more and more, but reporting few adoptions. Because it was someone we all knew and trusted, we were blinded. Let's all just try to keep our eyes open, not to judge, but to prevent.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Bla,Bla,Bla, just a bunch of busy bodies!
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!