Thunderstorms

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thunderstorms

Post by redangie24 »

Ok so yesterday we had a thunderstrom. When Ivana was younger she did not care, but as she has gotten older she has gotten scared of the storms. Probably because they are so infrequent and always seem to happen at night. Starting from when we were in Germany everytime there was a storm she would hide under the bed and I would have to talk her out and then sit with her. Well last night I heard the storm so I got up to see where she was..not under the bed..hmm...strange. So I walk out and she is just outside my door. I think fantastic she is not scared anymore! Boy was I wrong. This morning my daughter Ashara comes into my room to tell me that Ivana is in her tub! Poor girl got so scared at some time she decided to hide in the tub. So I went and was laughing and feeling sorry for her at the same time. I wish I knew what to get her for when storms come at night if I don't wake up. There has to be something. Or maybe next time I should just make up the tub as a doggy bed! JK. I just need a thunder alarm and a bell on Ivana so I can tell if she is going to hide.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Thunderstorms

Post by Sirchow »

We cured our dog of firework fear by playing tapes we made of the noises and also got a video from the vet I think. We played it quietly constantly to begin with and gradually increased the time between and the loudness until Alfie payed no attention at all. He doesn't even bark at fireworks now just sleeps through and fireworks are a bit of a problem here in the UK as anyone can buy them. He used to tremble and rip things up to get away now he is very chilled about them. Could you do something like this to desensitise Ivana?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

That is a fantastic idea. I wonder why I never thought of that. Make sense it is just like fixing a food aggression problem, but with storms! I could kick myself for not thinking of that.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

My dashchund used to jump in the tub too during thunderstorms. But considering the lenght of a dashchund leg, that was quite impressive!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Ok. I am not sure how the tape thing is going to work. It is thundering now and she could care less. I don't know how playing the tape at night is going to go over with my hubby...but I am going to try anyways.

That is funny I did not know that those little dogs could jump so high! I would love to see that one.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

So does that mean she only gets scared at night?? LOL thats better than the daytime....down here anyway.....
We get afternoon thunderstorms here almost everyday, some are pretty bad......LOTS of thunder and lightning in different places when the temps go up.
Hope you can help Princess Ivana thru this new phase.....cracks me up how they are always changing what freaks them out :shock: Kearra does the under the bed thing from time to time but its usually because I have something in my hand :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Well if you would stop beating her with those sticks!! JK :P
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

How are you liking your new home Ang? Are you very far from the coast? I understand they have beautiful beaches there.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL!! Naaa its the brushes, flea & Tick meds, or she heard the word BATH come out of my mouth :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Auddy my new house is great and there are lots of kids around my daughters age so the girls love it. I am melting though. Ivana and I just hide out in the house for at least half of the day. We only go out at night or early in the morning. I hate that my daughter has to catch the bus to school at 6:40 in the morning. Back in Germany she got on the bus at 5 to eight. and had to be at school at 8:30 when we were in Georgia. I don't understand the early morning. Drives me nuts!! The beach is about 10 minutes away but we perfer the one that is 20-30 minutes away. We have a lake across the street, but I am scared of it. Heard there are snakes and alligators. I am not going to try it out to find out!
Here is some pics from the beach when we first got here. Sorry no doggie pics I was afriad to have ivana out too long when we first got here.
Image Image Image Image
Have a Chowfastic Day!!