General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

signs of going on heat

Post by lola chow »

hi
i wondered if my chow friends could give me signs to look out for apart from the obvious one and how long does it last thanks maxine xxxx
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: signs of going on heat

Post by vicster605 »

swelling....is the most noticeable sign....
It last for a couple of few weeks, one of my girls was 3 weeks the other 2

Thanks Sweetpea!
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

thanks for that she is 9 months and would think she should be about ready xxx
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Coco had her 1st heat when she was 8 months old, during 4 long weeks :roll: . No other special sign than the red spots on the floor; oh but wait, yes, I forgot the mean growling!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

My pup actually was going in to be fixed and they knocked her out and the vet realized she was just starting to go into heat so they couldn't do the spaying then. So she came home groggy and went threw her cycle and then sometime after we did the surgery.. The vet said it was dangerous to do the spaying while in heat.. We thought she was younger than she was but she was a shelter pup so not sure of her birth date. Shelter said she had to go in at 6mos. so we did , But we had no tell tale signs that we noticed only the vet.. Her temperment was the same even during the cycle. So good luck ..
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Can I suggest that you consider it lasts for 3 weeks rather than 2 - just to be sure. The swelling is one of the first signs and being uncomfortable - a little restless and washing round that area more than normal. Poor little love - a extra special little cuddle might help. [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

yes she is on heat the tell tale sign has arrived next question how do you keep her back end clean :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Basically, help her by washing her. I know one lady who got some cotton knickers and put them on her girl - cutting a hole for her tail. That does help making a mess on carpets and so on.
With M & M I just used to take them into the bathroom and run some warm water into the basin and with a flannel gently was round, being careful not to rub too hard and then wash round the fur because it does actually make an awful mess sometimes and looks so obvious.
Perhaps you could get some "big knickers" and then you could rinse them out! :lol: :oops: :-oo
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

thanks judy i will use some of mine lol :lol: (only joking ) :roll:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

The thing is Elodie, this actually worked for the lady I am thinking of.
She bought some coloured cotton knickers, , cut a hole for the chow girls tail then put them on her and it did actually help. She put them on the chow while in the house, but then took them off to go out. The Chow was not very impressed but it did the job quite well. :D
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

They make doggie diapers. You can get them at the pet store.
Curious, are you planning on getting her spade?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Men's brief turned upside down have worked for some on the site as well. No need to cut a hole...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Now there is a thought - but then no need to stitch round the cut out hole in the pair of knickers with pretty coloured thread to make the little Parisian lady feel pretty. 8-}
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

at what age do you get the ladys spayed what happens if the men in your life wear boxers :shock:
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Interesting new fashion. Perhaps the men wont want them back though!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

You put elastic in the legs!! 8-}

I think the vets suggest that they be allowed to have their first season then spaying is advisable three months after i.e. midway between seasons. That is what our vet advised anyway.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I like the boxer shorts idea! They come in so many lovely colors and patterns!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Mm! talking about boxer shorts - when our girls were in their late teens, they bought Fred a pair of boxers for something or other - birthday present from the family dog or something - they had frogs on but some of the frogs were humping!! :oops:
Fred needed to go to the hospital for an x-ray on his right knee.

Yes - I am sure you know what I am going to say - he wore them and it caused a great deal of hilarity in the x-ray department. The radiographer who was dealing with Fred called the others to come and look. Poor Fred had no idea what the hilarity was about as he had not noticed what some of his frogs were doing!

He was so emabarrassed when he came out and I felt dreadful because I really did not know he had not noticed - I honestly thought he was being cool when the girls gave them to him. :roll:
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

The men's underwear work great - even boxer briefs (my brother had left a pack of them here when he stayed here for awhile, and when Khana came into heat this last time those boxer briefs became HER undies!).

I use a sanitary pad with the sticky backing to put into the underwear and that helps soak up the blood. Khana tends to have a pretty heavy flow the first week or two. She bleeds/discharges for pretty much a whole three weeks.

If your bitch has pretty thick breeches, you can brush them to the sides and use little hair bands to tie them into several little pony tails. This helps keep the hair out of the mess and allows for easier clean-up too.

I try to let Khana "air out" for at least a couple of hours every day. She just has to stay in an area where it's easy to clean the floor. I think it's important not to have her covered ALL the time for three solid weeks.

By the way, if you tend to be a slow person to wake up, put a note on the door that says "TAKE UNDIES OFF!". On more than one occasion over the past four years, I've stumbled to the door half-asleep to let the dogs out, and then remembered that I hadn't taken Khana's underwear off! There's nothing quite like a sanitary pad that's been peed in and weighs ten pounds .. *L* .. and even worse if there's poop!

I need to get her spayed - I don't want to deal with any more heats. But the whole spaying thing makes me nervous .. she and I have literally never been apart for a single night in the past 4 1/2 years. Khana is my nearly constant companion.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Not sure how your vet does it, but the vet I work for sends dogs home the same day :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have a couple visions in my head- the first is Fred, red faced, with giggling health professionals around him...the second is Melanie looking out the window, and her jaw dropping when she sees Khana squatting in her pantaloons...lmao!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I have been quite lucky with Bramble though it is her first heat so perhaps the bleeding will be heavier next time. I am sick of her leaving little spots where ever she has been lying. I couldn't bring myself to put pants on her. I just cant wait for her to be finished because then we can go for our first walk for ten weeks. I know it is only for three mins the first time out but it will be quite exciting. Some of the neighbours thought we had got rid of her. :roll: I am assuming to be safe that I need to wait three weeks from first bleeding is that correct? I am too scared to take her at the moment in case the dreaded 10ft tall Kaiser jumps her. Not good for the legs and definatly don't want weimaraner x chow puppies :shock: /:)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Three weeks should be safe Siriol!! :lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pantaloons make a fine chastity belt too...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, but just think of the little girls feelings - she is a little Parisienne and would not like to be seen on the streets of Paris with her Papa's knickers one, maybe specked with red. No, in the house only methinks. :shock:
I am sure that her Maman will keep the boy dogs away from her - a good old kick between the back legs will do the trick. :lol: :lol: