Khana and Dora say hello!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Khana and Dora say hello!

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I know we don't stop in here very often these days but I'm trying to spend less time online as it's hard for me to sit in front of a computer for long (causes pain in the neck/shoulders/wrists and my right knee - why my right knee I have no idea .. *L*). I've gotten back into doing beadwork so I try to spend my time on that when my fingers permit.

Khana is doing great and has become very settled into her role as Service Dog. Today my Mom and I went to a "Gala Opening" of an art show/photo exhibit. They're focusing on Alaska's 50 year anniversary as a state, and part of that is photos/interviews of people who have lived here from statehood. I was 2 1/2 months old when Alaska became a state (not very many people my age were born in the territory of Alaska!) and my Mom and I were both photographed and interviewed as part of this event. My photo was with Khana. So we went to see our photos. The place was PACKED as they'd advertised free appetizers, beer and wine .. *L* .. it was elbow-to-elbow room and really uncomfortable for me. But Khana was a trooper .. she was really great! Many people recognized her from the photo (she is SO photogenic .. she looked great, I looked awful .. *L*) and stopped to talk to her.

We didn't stay too long there. We'll go back when there are fewer people so that we can really look at the artwork. Mom said "let's go get some dinner" so we went to a Chinese restaurant. This was Khana's first time in a real restaurant - we'd been to Subway but that's been it. I walked in with her and when I sat down, I scooted the chair next to me back and had Khana lay on the floor under the table. She was EXCELLENT! When we went to the buffet table, I left her on a stay and she never moved, even though we were out of sight. The waitress came to the table and put water and tea on it and Khana held her stay. I was so proud of her. She's always been good at stay but an out-of-sight stay at a restaurant is a huge test of any dog's obedience. The waitress commented on how wonderful my dog was! I will admit that I slipped Khana a few pieces of shrimp and chicken while we were eating as a reward. She deserved it.

When we got home, she had a little outdoors time with Tazer, who is nearly two years old now! Here's a picture of them playing today:

Dora is still spunky and a bit of a brat, but she's really starting to show her age. She's lost a lot of hair and looks about half the size she was! She started losing hair in patches on her side several years ago and blood tests never showed any problems, so I'm guessing it's just an aging thing with her. It's gotten worse and worse, and her luxurious mane is now so thin you can see her skin easily. At least she stays cool! She still tries to bounce around and act silly, and she eats well so I'm pretty sure it's not anything serious. She's almost 12 now.

The excitement this winter has been Mt. Redoubt, 50 miles away across Cook Inlet from where I live. It started erupting and has had several "explosive events" over the past couple of months. Right now it's just simmering and building up a lava cone in the center which will probably create another explosive event one of these days. They expect the mountain will remain in this active eruption for maybe months yet. We haven't gotten any ash this time. Last time it erupted (1989-90) we were COVERED in gray ash several times. It was NOT much fun! I keep hoping the ash won't end up on us (we've been lucky so far).

I got down to the beach and took some photos a few days ago of the steam/ash plume that is constantly showing now (when the sky is clear enough to see the volcano). Here's one of the photos:

Hope all is well with you guys and that your dogs are happy and healthy!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Khana and Dora (Chows)
Trick and Tazer (GSDs)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Khana and Dora say hello!

Post by Sirchow »

Hi there,

I am fairly new to the site and don't remember seeing any posts from you before. Wow the photo of Mt. Redoubt is so cool. I long to see a live volcano. I have been up a couple in Italy but nothing like your spectacular one across the water. That is such a great photo.

Khana cetainly doesn't look her age she obviously doesn't feel it by the way she is playing. She is beautiful. Did you train her as a service dog or was she trained for you. I would love to hear more about what she can do. It must have been quite a challenge to train her. I have just taught my Bramble to sit and stay but she would never let me go out of site and stay. So obviously there is a lot of work still to do.

I also do beadwork and sell it in my shop.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Hey Melanie,
Good to see you post. I think that it is so cool that Khana is doing so well as a service dog for you, but I'm sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing. How's the Tazer monster been? Is she starting to settle a little now that she is two? Your pictures are great, if it wasn't for your winters, makes me wish I could live in Alaska.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Hi Melanie, nice to hear from you. It is so good to hear how well Khana does with all her obedience and a log stay with you out of sight is indeed quite an acomplishment.
I wish you would feel better, RA isn't any fun. take care and drop in when you can.

Right now I have a broken ankle, (ice the winter) a neighbor has been walking my two and Dreamdancer has been getting a little out of hand, I will have to go back to the drawing board when I can walk him again...but he was good today at the vets so I'm not too worried, he just needs mom around a bit more when he's out.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Beautiful photos! I always laugh when I see Chow photos playing or running, and the back feet are in the air at that odd angle. It almost makes them look like they could tumble. Good on Khana for her stellar performances in public with you...she is you by extension, why should she not have a bit of shrimp? O:)

I am sorry your RA has kept you off the computer. I had hoped you were just busy at the GS sites. It is so nice to hear about the happenings. We have missed your wisdom with training, I have to say. There are many new members here who can benefit from your sage advice, I often ask myself, WWMD? :D

Welcome back, and I hope you post more when you can. Did I mention I miss your great photos...lol. I don't think there is a way to take a bad photo in Alaska.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Good to see ya Melanie! Glad to hear you are doing okay & Khana is still quite the star :lol:

Beautiful pictures.
Thank you Elodie!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Hey all! Glad to see some remember us .. :mrgreen:

Sirchow - I'm a longtime member of the forum, just not on much these days. Khana isn't the old gal - Khana is only four years old, so she's got a lot of "umph" in her yet .. *L* .. I trained her myself in the Service Dog tasks. I have twenty year background in training and showing in obedience and other dog sports (agility, herding, tracking). Khana is my third chow that I've put performance titles on and hopefully one of these days we can resume competition, but for now she's my wonderful Service Dog and helps me out daily. Training a chow is a matter of consistency, persistence, patient, firmness and yet kindness. Once you figure out what they really want, you use that as their reward and they will do all sorts of things to get you to give them what they want. In a way it's teaching THEM how to get the reward.

Sylvia - Tazer monster is doing well, full of piss and vinegar (as my grandmother used to say) .. *L* .. she's finally settling down some and I'm able to do a bit more training with her. Mostly she plays frisbee and entertains Khana (who likes to bite Tazer on the rump). Hope your new girl has settled in well!

Hey Victory, how'd you break your ankle?? Geez, girl, broken bones are for KIDS .. *L* .. it takes too long to heal us adults! I know how easy it is for our dogs to backslide when they get away with things for a bit - whenever I've left one of my girls with "grandma" (my Mom) they've been a little bit spoiled when I get back! But it usually doesn't take them long to get back into the swing of things.

Auddymay - I know what you mean about photos of Chows playing - they look like they're doing a bunny hop half the time! I rarely catch the shepherds in that pose. And you're right about Alaska and the photos. It's hard to take a bad picture up here!

I've been spending some time on a GS forum that has a lot of training talk, but I've even faded off from there quite a bit. Sometimes it feels like I'm saying the same thing over and over, you know? I need to put up my training articles again as I let that website expire.

Hi Layla! Khana is ALWAYS the star, regardless of what she does. Aren't they all? :D

Melanie and the gang
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hi Melanie :D You made my day!!! I was starting to really worry about you, glad to see you this morning!!! :D
Your pics are awsome especially the one of Mt. Redoubt, and your right, very hard to take a bad pic in Alaska. Even my worst ones are beautiful and I'm not a very good photographer.....Khana & Tazer look like they are having a good romp.....love to see them play together, makes me smile everytime.
It just amazes me what you can get Miss Khana to do.....can imagine even the best trained Chow or dog would have a difficult time in a down stay in a resturant when nobody is lookin, the smells alone would probably provoke an attempt to check it out further......She is just amazing and deserves anything you slipped her under the table. =D= =D=
OK so I'm going to post this on my fridge :D
Sounds like RULES for life for training human kids and furkids, and maybe even my dh :lol:
Consistency
Persistence
Patients
Firmness
Kindness
Once you figure out what they REALLY want you use that as their reward and they will do all sorts of things to get you to give them what they want :lol:
Hope with the warmer weather coming soon your RA calms down and you get to feeling better
HUGS to you & The Gang
Darn, Victory I didn't know you broke your ankle :cry: I'm sorry to hear this, Hope your back on BOTH feet soon

Thanks Sweetpea!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Melanie, so, so great to hear from you.

Khana and Tazer are gorgeous, as usual. It's great that your Khana is such an ambassador for chows. What an amazing accomplishment for both of you.

Pictures are fabulous - course you know I like the one of Khana and Tazer best.
Mia
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Hi Melanie,

Hey Stranger! Glad to hear from you, Khana, Dora, and Tazer!!!
The pics are wonderful!
I feel your pain from sitting too long. I'm not here as much for much the
same reason. Drop in when you can, it's always good to hear from you and
get an update!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Hi Melanie! Great to hear from you...sorry the RA has minimized your posts on the site. We have missed hearing from Melanie and the Gang. We are all so proud of Khana's stellar role as a Service Chow.
Take care,
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

IliamnasQuest wrote:Hi Layla! Khana is ALWAYS the star, regardless of what she does. Aren't they all? :D

Melanie and the gang
Oh yes! Millie was at work with me today, doing meet & greet with the new puppies & practising her tricks :D Everybody loves her, just as they should :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Hey Vicky! Good to hear from you! So sorry I haven't gotten back to your PM - I am notoriously awful at responding to PM's anyhow (I don't notice them half the time to start with) and then with my aches and pains I just really limit my time online. You're right, those rules should work on all species, including kids and husbands! *LOL*

Mia - thanks for the comments! I have to admit, with all the scenery pics I take up here, my favorites are always of the dogs too! And I am blessed to have such a sweet, kind, loving girl like Khana to pose for me.

Hiya bama - Yeah, I know you can relate to the aches and pains! Darn these bodies of ours. Whoever invented autoimmune diseases should be SHOT .. *L*

kingalls - awww, thanks - I'm pretty proud of Khana too. She has definitely enriched my life. I probably don't deserve her!

Layla, that's so neat! You can take Millie to work with you? I bet she loves that, and I bet you LOVE being able to have her with you! I think everyone should get to take their pooches to work with them. Think of how happy everyone would be! (well, except for non-dog people, and they don't count .. *G*).

Melanie and the gang
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Hi Melanie,
I'm glad things are good with you and your dogs! Khana is doing great! I love the picture of the volcano...it's beautiful.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Hi Melanie,

THanks for the update, Khana looks great, I am so glad that mount Redoubt hasn't given you too many problems, you must be so proud of Khana,

hope you are feeling better soon

David