Sit and stay

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sit and stay

Post by Sirchow »

I am so impressed with Bramble - I have finally taught her to go in her corner and sit and wait for her food instead of careering around knock things over and standing all over wee Alfie. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ He is very resilient but I feel sorry for him that every meal time he should be stampeded by an out of control elephant! :( She knows what sit and stay mean now and she does it. She will also sit and wait to come out her crate in the morning where she used to burst out like a wild animal. It feels like a real acheivment and I wonder if I am being silly because Alfie, a cavy, would do sit and stay from another room at that age. But shes a chow not a dog. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sit and stay

Post by lola chow »

well done bramble you clever girl and good job siriol xxx
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

We still have not mastered stay...please tell me how you did it!? Buddha always wants to follow me when I walk away, or tear out the door. He'll sit, but as soon as the door opens, he's out.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Sit and stay...limited here, for both. I don't use it enough, as I found out last night. I gave a half can of food to Lil in the dish, and Pip was upstairs sleeping. When she finished, I picked up the bowl, said the command, and it worked up to 10 feet, as I carried the wet treasure (they get wet food as a treat) to take it upstairs. She would not relent, so I did. I gave her the s&s at the foot of the steps, and she did it, but big deal, she could watch my every move. Then I gave Pip her food (had to wake her up, she was in Haley's room sleeping).

Everything was hunky dory, until can 2. I gave Lily hers first. Pip had to be directed 3 times to S&S. I am pretty sure Lily would kick her a$$ if Pip tried to horn in on her wet food. (She was awake and downstairs, Pip does not sleep through treats.) Then it was role reversal time. I kept a spoon full out on a butter knife to help Lily to stay, and boy did I need it. I sat in a chair with the tempter, and Lil sat at a co-ordinate that made a nice triangle to Pip scarfing her food and me. It was all she could do not to rush poor Pip, but the tempter kept her in place for the 60 seconds it took Pip to wolf her share. When Lily finally got the reward, she was not polite! I think we need some refresher work... :roll:
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

The difference from when I was trying to teach her before and now is mainly that before I wanted to teach her and now I have to. Part of her rest regime to try and recover without surgery means that she is not allowed to jump, run or go mad for eight weeks. (try eight weeks with no zoomies) At first when I opened her crate or a door I just wouldn't let her through till she was sitting. It took a long time. I made her sit and then I held my hand palm towards her in front of her face =; and said "WAIT". My daughter kept giving me a row for shouting. When she realised (Bramble not my daughter) that she had to stay sitting at the wait command I moved on to stay. But my hand has to stay in her face most times to stop her leaping to her feet. As far as food goes I made her go in the corner and sit and then I went to give Alfie his food first. At first I had to take her back a few times but sit, WAIT and STAY soon got through to her. She soon realised she wasn't getting fed till she did it. It is amazing how chows can learn when there is something in it for them. It is a bit like teaching a bulldozers to do wheelies though!! :roll:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Excellent - well done Bramble - what a good girl. =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Aren't all chows bulldozers????
Mine certainly are.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee!Hee! I think all chows can be bulldozers - M & M certainly can be. Sometimes they can be so refined and well mannered and other times they will bulldoze through no matter what. Mabel will even 'doof ' her way through with a front paw if necessary. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Good Job Brambles, \:D/

David
AmberLea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AmberLea »

Wow, none of my Chow girls sit or stay at all!!

Not through lack of trying either, i have 2 very stubborn girls, which is the polar opposite of my Rough Collie Skye and crossbreed Bailey who are both very obedient!!

Great achievement Siriol, purple kisses from the girls..xx =D=
The heart of a Chow cannot be taken by storm, but once given is yours forever...
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wonderful work! Bramble is a smart girl!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Ahhh, lesson learned is such a good feeling.. And great for her rehab.. now for the long term memory.. It will be such a great lesson learned for a long long time.. That was the first thing in all the obedience classes we took Nikki to .. Its like the core lesson.. after that most things are pretty easy.. (except recall hehehe)..
I don't know how you stop zoomies though...I applaud you on that one..
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Everything I teach my furkids relies on a solid foundation of the basic commands, especially, "sit, stay, and come".
Repetition, repetition, repetition, they will get it.
If you have other family members in your home, try making a list of your furkid's vocabulary, so
that everyone is using the same word(s) for each command.
I hope this helps.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!