Bladder Infections

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chowmia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bladder Infections

Post by Chowmia »

Does anyone know if certain dog food brands are more likely to contribute to UTI's than others? For example, anyone heard of Blue Buffalo causing more ut problems? Also, does anyone use any holistic methods of either curing a UTI and or preventing them? It seems my girl, Mia, is prone to them and the cost of vet visits because of this drives me to seek other alternatives, I also don't like all of the antibiotics they use. Sometimes too freely...Thanks.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bladder Infections

Post by CoraP. »

I've heard that giving Vitamin C can help. It can be ordered from most dog supply catalogs.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

UTI's are horrid. Mabel had a spell of recurring infections three or four years ago - I cannot quite remember but she has been clear for years now, touch wood!
I did not like the amount of antibiotics but it seemed the only thing that would fix it.
I heard that Cranberry juice was a natural remedy for humans - I wonder if there is a canine product using cranberry. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

The lady at the rescue where we got Molly said they put cranberry juice in their dogs' drinking water. That will also provide vitamin C. If you use the red kind, it might make their pee a little pink. I used to put some of the white cranberry in their water and that is clear.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Chowmia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowmia »

Thank you all for the responses. I think I am going to change her food, number one. Ever since she has been eating Blue Buffalo she has had this issue, for 6 weeks. I am also adding organic apple cider vinegar and as I said, going to feed Innova. Hope these changes help her.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

My Princess Buttercup came to me with renal failure. She had crystals, stones, and in misery.
I gave her L-methionine every day, along with distilled water, and still do, so now her PH hangs around 6, which is good.
L-methionine helps to balance the ph, therefore
eliminating the formation of crystals and stones. The added bonus, the renal failure has been reduced to a very mild case.
She's happy and out of pain! That makes me happy!
***I don't give treats out too often, except a lick of plain home made yogurt. It's pro-biotic properties are good for her.
The yogurt helps make the urine alkaline, while the organic apple cider vinegar will make the urine more acidic.
The apple cider vinegar idea is a good one, however watch that you don't get her PH to acidic.
Keep the PH level between 6 and 7.
***You can purchase urine test strips from your vet, to check the PH level.
Having a slightly alkaline urine is best for most furkids, including the cats.
Good luck
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

IMO, once a bladder infection is confirmed microscopically it should be treated with antibiotics to avoid it climbing the urinary tract and becoming a more serious infection of the kidneys. I would, however, request your vet do a culture and sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic is likely to be most effective. It may be that she is being treated with an antibiotic that never quite kills all the bacteria and thus it repopulates to the level to cause symptoms after the antibiotics are discontinued. If it is the correct antibiotic, then she may need a longer course to completely eradicate the microbes causing the problem. After the antibiotics have been completed, you should return for another test to determine if the infection is completely cleared.

Then, to reduce the likelihood of future infections: 1) water intake -- always provide an adequate supply of fresh drinking water. Dehydration of any degree can increase the chance of infection. 2) avoiding prolonged urinary retention -- allow an opportunity for voiding at least every 4 or 5 hours 3) garlic is hostile to bacteria and can be given to prevent and infection 4) acidifying the urine--makes it inhospitable to most bacteria, thus the recommendation for Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and cranberry capsules or tablets
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
AmberLea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AmberLea »

I have used Cranberry juice in their water when my girls have had UTI's, but sometimes you have to use antibiotic's to clear up a nasty case of it.

:mrgreen:
The heart of a Chow cannot be taken by storm, but once given is yours forever...