Can anyone out there please help me?????

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kellyluvshuff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can anyone out there please help me?????

Post by Kellyluvshuff »

:cry:
My husband dan and I had just adopted a lab mix from a connecticut rescue group this past Sunday. They claimed they did not know what the other half was, and it was difficult to tell in the picture, but when we went to pick up this wonderful little guy, it was very clear he is also chow. When we had mentioned this to them after a trip to the vet, the said "That's impossible, we don't adopt out chow mixes! Anyway, this sweet little baby is only 13 1/2 weeks old and I had no preconceived notions about chows, even though I had heard the so called "vicious" rumours. I started doing a TON of research about chows, just to understand what makes them tick. I have plenty of free time, home all day long and only gone at nights for a few hours 3x a week. Our little hufflepuff, on the third day of being home, growled at our neighbor and showed his teeth while I was talking with him. The next day, we went to the vet and he growled at the vet tech when she can out to say hello and was a nightmare in the vets office. He wouldn't even let the vet touch him. He also growled and snarled at a few dogs on the way out. I was totally shocked. I immediately decided to seek professional help and we had a trainer come to our home to evaluate him. Since then I have spent every waking moment(whether through contact with people, animals, exercises the trainer recommended or research; all without trying to overwhelm him) concentrating on socializing him so I can help my poor little baby not feel the need to be so aggressive. I thought I was doing a these things the first few days we brought him home, but apparently not to the degree necessary.
Well, to make a long story short, the growling and snapping is becoming a daily occurance and yesterday while my husband was walking him around the block (part of his socializing) he saw a dog about 50 ft away and they both went into a frenzy. When my husband tried to get his attention he growled and tried to bite him. Now he does not trust having the dog from this point forward and is asking me to return him to the rescue. I thought with the right kind of training and enough time and love I would be able to help my little pup, but my husband said that he does not want to put our family and friends in jeopardy.
I just do know the right thing to do. After reading everything on this wonderful site, my heart is literally breaking and I've been crying all night. He is like a little ray of light, so loving and obedient without any outside stimuli. I just want to what is best for my baby and know that it might mean that I have give him up. I just feel so guilty because I only wanted to give him a good home, and love and take care of him.
Does anyone out there have any advice for me?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

First I think your going to have to give your Chow sometime to get use to you and your husband, you have only had him a few days. My Chow growled at me everytime I came near her the first 2 weeks we had her. With out hitting or yelling your going to have to show your Chow who is the boss around the house and let him know when he is doing something wrong. A firm NO will usually do it. Once your Chow settles in and gets use to its new surroundings and who's who around the house I think most of your problems will work out.

Like my wife and I when we first brought our Chow home You are probably thinking oh my god we brought the devil into our house but believe me give him some more time, work with him, and in a few weeks you will find adopting him was the best thing you ever did.

As for the the problem with the Vet, Groomers and growling at other dogs the others will have to give you advice on that my Chow hates the vet, won't let us groom her and will growl at other dogs only if they approach her. Your Chow is still young so some of that can be solved, the others can help you with that problem.

Chows do take some time and understanding, like we always say on here a Chow is not a dog so never treat it like a dog, read all you can about the Chow, give him some more time and in a few days you will be posting how wonderful he is.

Your going to get alot of good advice from the other's in here once they read your posting so keep checking back.

One more thing I better add, All trainers, behaviorist and vets say they can work with Chows, That's not true. Make sure who ever you choose has had experience with Chows and knows what the personality of a Chow is other wise you will be wasting your time and money and most likely will couse more problems. I think you should give your Chow more time, see how things are going then maybe look into a trainer but pick carefully.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Wed May 04, 2005 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Kelly,
Welcome to this site! I am sorry you are having the difficulties with the new chow, but as Jeff has indicated, it may take longer. You are certainly doing all the right things in researching websites, consulting a behaviorist, etc.
My Kodi (chow/gsd mix; mostly chow), is a friendly girl, but my last dog (akita/gsd) was 100% dog aggressive and about 20% people aggressive her entire LONG life. We had her trained and worked with behaviorists and came away with that we just had to keep her out of (doing) harms way.
I wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll get valuable advice here.
Thank you for rescuing!
Take care,
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Kellyluvshuff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kellyluvshuff »

Thank you both for replying so quickly. As I was reading my original post, I realized I had said we had just gotten Huff on "this past Sunday", but actually it was the Sunday before (not that it really matters.) But the funny thing is, from the minute we brought him home he had been nothing but a complete angel. Loves cuddling, kisses, and (get this) he absolutely LOVES!!!! taking a bath and getting groomed! He seemed so open to meeting the neighbors and even their pets too! I thought "oh my god I can't believe it!" We also have him completely housebroken and crate trained, and he does well with sit, down, stay, come, and loves to play fetch!
Then it just sort of happened. One day he was having a belly ache and that was the first time he growled and showed teeth at one of the neighbors who was just minding they're own business. Ever since then he seems to think that this type of behavior is acceptable, no matter what I try to do to correct him. When we are in the house and don't worry one bit about him, but when we're outside (and the behavior seems only very selective), its like all of a sudden if he makes up his mind he doesn't like something and no matter what we say or do we can't get his attention away unless we actually pick him up and move him, which isn't going to be very practicle. My husband thinks we're living with Dr. Jykel and Mr. Hyde.
Oh and one other thing. Has anyone seen this one site on "chow training" out there? http://www.leerburg.com/chows.htm
I'm just learning right now, but I am absolutely disgusted that this kind of garbage is out there. My husband read this and it literally scared the pants off of him. I was so outraged and tried to explain that this ***hole is just scaring people into buying his stupid videos. Am I totally off base here, because if this type of thing is actually legit, I must definitely be the wrong type of person to have a chow. However, if I ever met this guy I probably spit in his face.
Let me know what you guys think about this site!
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

Hi Kelly,
As the others have said - give it time. I rescued an abused chow that I saw on the streets for one year and three months. (approximately 2.5 yrs old at the time). I got it into my backyard and couldn't get near the chow - it would growl and scare the living daylights out of me - but I knew if I showed fear I couldn't be the master - so I ignored her and gave her the space she needed to just trust and understand where I was coming from. I even pitched my tent in the backyard and slept outside with her (for one day only cause my back was killing me!). I don't know who snored louder! :lol:

After a couple of weeks, approximately, I needed to get her to the vet and just grabbed her out of my backyard. Her teeth pressed against my arm and I just said in a soft voice "Forget it. I'm taking you to the vet and if you don't like it, oh well, you've gotta go or it's down to the pound to be put down and I'm sure you don't want that!" After I said forget it she released her mouth from my arm. Found out the chow was pretty darn smart and picked up my intentions. It was a struggle to drag and lift the chow through the house and into my truck with her fighting me all the way. But it worked and she didn't even give the vet a hard time. And never pressed her teeth into my arm since. However, it still took quite a while to just pet and touch her after the vet.

After she was spayed, and had to be in my house, I moved my mattress to the living room floor and slept there. She paced for a while and then would mellow out. We are two bugs in a rug now. I've been training her through lessons at Petsmart on Sundays and take her for long walks in the park. She lets kids and adults pet her and even goes in a no leash park. However, I'm still always cautious regardless. Her moods do change sometimes - everyone has a right to have bad days!

Patience is the key word! I wasn't home all day so I didn't have as much opportunity as you do to show the love that's needed. Keep doing what you're doing and just give it time. The chow will come around and I'm so glad you've rescued him. I never had a Chow before and I don't know how I have lived without one. :D
SWANCIN-Cindy & Kodi

Post by SWANCIN-Cindy & Kodi »

Kellyluvshuff wrote:Oh and one other thing. Has anyone seen this one site on "chow training" out there? http://www.leerburg.com/chows.htm
I'm just learning right now, but I am absolutely disgusted that this kind of garbage is out there. My husband read this and it literally scared the pants off of him. I was so outraged and tried to explain that this ***hole is just scaring people into buying his stupid videos. Am I totally off base here, because if this type of thing is actually legit, I must definitely be the wrong type of person to have a chow. However, if I ever met this guy I probably spit in his face.
Let me know what you guys think about this site!
Hi Kelly,
I have seen this guys site before (but not about the chows specifically). Interesting that the 'characteristics' at the start of the page indicate you can't (not in quote) rough up a chow, but then he promotes using a D*MN prong collar - oh much less a shock collar!!??? The trainer/behaviorist we have for Kodi discounts that kind of collar in any situation, for training or otherwise. Thank goodness!
Please don't pay attention to those kind of teachings. They are slowly and suredly being phased out.

Best of everything to you and your chowling,
Cindy & Kodi-Bear-Head
debbie and bones

your chow/lab cross

Post by debbie and bones »

Thank you for coming to this site and reading about chows - otherwise you would have probably brought your rescue dog back and I think you can work with him. It will take time and patience and you and your husband establishing yourselves as top dogs. If he growls or tries to bite you, you must show him that this is not appropriate. A strong and firm no is needed and remove him from the situation - maybe keep him on leash so you can grab him and take him inside if he growls and bares teeth at the neighbor. My chow Bones barked at the neighbor for a few weeks and now just ignores him. Don't let him show dominance to you or your husband. When I first had Bones, I really had to show him I was in charge or he would have taken over as he has such a strong personality. I still have to put him outside when people come over as he is very protective and in my mind unpredictable. Sometimes he growls at people and sometimes not BUT, I would not trade him for the world as he is the best dog with me and my family. I just make adjustments and work hard to praise him when he is gentle and keep him out of situations where he might not succeed. I love him to bits and he trusts and loves me too. A lot more time is needed for you to get to know your chow and he to get to know you and your husband. He may also have been abused as well as having the chow personality.
Good luck - have you named him yet? Keep emailing this site for help. I have received lots of support and answers to chow questions.
Debbie and Bones :mrgreen: