New mom to be

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

New mom to be

Post by Samorrathis »

Hello! I'm new to the boards and going to be a new chow mom on Friday. It's been about 15 years sence I have owned a chow and figure we are settled now and it's time to add a new edition to the family. Nanuk is arriving in a few days and I think we are ready as we can be. We are waiting with open arms!
Hope to get to know you all better and can use your advice in the future!

:wink: Samorra
kingalls

Samorra

Post by kingalls »

How exciting for you to be Chow owners again! Let us know more about the new family member and about the arrival!
Congratulations and welcome to this site!

Karen
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

He's here!

Post by Samorrathis »

Well Nanuk finally arrived Friday after his flight being delayed an hour. I was a nervous wreak! The vet says he is healthy, and he was oh so good when we were there.

His first night didn't go to bad, I thought he would spend the night in his crate but he felt more comfortable to sleep outside in his house. He was raised outside so it makes sence. I think his snuggle puppy also helped with his separation. So at night he is going to sleep outside and we are also going to crate train him during the day. wish us luck lol

He is still tuckered out but seems to be fitting in nicely. We also introduced him to our two cats. That didn't go over too well he just wanted to bark at them. However on our second try he was in his crate and he didn't bark at all and the cats felt more secure!

We are going to give him one more day to settle in before we begin socializing him. What better way to spend Mother's day right? If you have any general advice send them my way, I'm open ears :)

Here's a picture of Nanuk's ride home
kingalls

Welcome Nanuk

Post by kingalls »

Welcome to this site Nanuk! Where did you come from to meet your new family in Nevada?
I had a long journey from Edmonton in Canada to my parents home in California a year ago in March. My new mom and my new Chow sister, Shiloh, slept downstairs with me for the first few nights. I was only 9 weeks old then.
I hope you enjoy your new family!!

Mr. Nahkohe and my sister, Shiloh
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh! He looks adorable.
I am sure all will be fine - keep us posted!

Purple kisses from Milly and Mabel.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Nanuk

Post by Samorrathis »

Thanks for the warm welcome! We found Nanuk on puppyfind.com he is all the way from Missiouri! We couldn't find a breader near Reno and I figured if he has to be shipped then it doesn't really matter where he is from. I really felt like we were taking a chance ordering him site unseen but he has a wonderful disposition and we have had no problems (knock on wood :lol: )

He was raised outside so he is more comfortable to sleep out in his kennel, however we are having good progress crate training him here and there. At night he has to have his Snuggle puppy ( I truely believe this has helped in his separation anxiety)

We are preparing for a 5 hour trip in a few weeks to go to the Bay area in California. Hopefully we can have his leash trained by then, atm all he wants to do is trip us :roll: Think he finally got used to his collar so I figure we will get there it is just baby steps.

As far as him being potty trained it is a total thumbs up! I forgot how chows are so funny about havng thier special spot to go. Thank god not even once in the house! Seriously though it's all about paying attention, and watching body language.

Got a new digital camera so will post a link to some more pic's This weekend.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Brilliant - I am so happy for you. Look forward to seeing pictures.

Big purple kisses to him from M & M. :D :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Blue eye's

Post by Samorrathis »

Wanted to share a cutie pic of Nanuk at 9 weeks that my daughter took.
Look at this face!

What I'm wondering is do all chows have brown eye's? Nanuk's eye's are dark blue and he is a purebreed. Is that a genetic fault or do puppy's have blue eye's?
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I don't know anything about the eyes; I'm not a breeder and would never pretend to be. What I do know is that your chowling is BEAUTIFUL!!! What a baby! It makes me remember when Rogue was a puppy. Lots of luck.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Re: Blue eye's

Post by Guest »

What I'm wondering is do all chows have brown eye's? Nanuk's eye's are dark blue and he is a purebreed. Is that a genetic fault or do puppy's have blue eye's?[/quote]
as for his blue eyes they will change color as he grows up
puppies eyes can start out a blue then before you know it they are brown
good luck with him :)
Petra
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Petra »

Hi there! Where exactly is Nanuk from? We just brought out new puppy Meeko from Missouri a few weeks ago. She is from Ava and we drove to get her from Illinois. Meeko joined her older sister Soo Shee and they are both doing great.
Good luck with your puppy - he is adorable.
Petra
Petra, Soo Shee and Meeko
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Acually Nanuk is from a little farm in Rocky Comfort,MO I think about 3 hours from Ava.
Glad to see you have a playmate for Soo Shee. Meeko is just a cutie!
Hope she isn't as pig headed as Nanuk :roll: Man I forgot how head strong chows can be.
Please let me know if you come accross any great tips with your new pup.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Petra wrote:We just brought out new puppy Meeko from Missouri a few weeks ago. She is from Ava and we drove to get her from Illinois.
Petra
Hi Petra!

I was just wondering if you got Meeko from RHR Kennels near Ava? Because many of us posters had a huge discussion summer of 2003 about a chow that was purchased there named "Samson". Lots of different opinons. What I did remember was that "Bob" and his wife ran a kennel near Ava. They had over 50 chows - many adult chows who he rescued or are in sanctuary there.

Just wondering.