Thinking about doing agility

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thinking about doing agility

Post by summer_rose03 »

I am thinking about taking agility classes with Carter this summer. I think this will be something he will enjoy and will help to burn off some of his energy, especially since now I know he's part husky. He loves to jump and run, so I know he can do all the things involved. He's also extremely smart and will probably learn it all quite quickly. There is a training center near me that offers the classes. There a 5 weeks of classes, 1 hr each week, for $65. There are other classes beyond that if we decide to continue.

There is a class starting on the 23rd, but I close monday nights at work and can't do it. Plus he is starting Intermediate Obedience classes in the next couple weeks on sundays. I would like to get him consistently listening to me before starting the agility classes.

Anyone else ever do agility with any of their dogs (Chow or not)?
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Thinking about doing agility

Post by bubba »

it should be fun ,
i have never done it , there do a search there are youtubes chow+agility ...

i have seen some still shots ,

http://chowclub.org/ccci/content/section/17/141/

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I have agility titles on two chows. Kylee earned four titles (two in AKC and two in NADAC) and Dora earned her two novice AKC titles.

Kylee and Dora were both pretty slow and deliberate workers, unlike the crazy border collies and shelties! *L* In fact, they ran in the same heighth class as the shelties and they beat them a LOT because they were steady on the course, and the shelties tended to over-run obstacles and miss the entrance. The chows were slower but more dependable. I did find out in classes that an hour or hour and a half class was a bit long for my girls - they did better if I could keep their training sessions to 45 minutes at the most. When I was working both of them it worked out fine - I'd take both to classes and work each half of the time. My German shepherds did okay with the longer class time, but the chows kind of burned out. I also found that when we got to competition level, there would come a point where the chows would say "heck, I don't feel like doing this" and I had to insist - but that once I insisted, they ran faster and better than before!

My four year old, Khana, has done a bit of agility but I've not been able to keep it up with her. I would love to get her novice titles! She's very agile and loves to run. We do tunnels and a small ramp, jumps and weave poles at home.

I encourage you to get into agility if you can! It's fun and good for the dogs. Beginning classes can seem kind of slow as they start dogs off on very basic things, but they need a solid basis if they're going to go on in training. Even if you don't want to actually compete, it's a great hobby for the dog and helps build physical strength and mental acuity.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If I had of known about agility classes 13 years ago Pekoe would deffinantly be going I think not only is it a must in the early years it will pay off in the senior years, even though I didn't know about agility classes I have always had Pekoe jumping benches and over bushes on walks, I had her run up and down hills and took advantage of every cat and grittier we came across, I never let her catch anything but the chase was fun and she got a work out. I wouldn't let her go around anything she had to go up and over if she wanted the catch, in time she learned on her own, it was either over or under but never around. She is thirteen now and still chasing cats, not as fast though but at least she makes the attempt so I think its all paid off.

If you have to make a choice between obedience or agility I would go for the agility he will learn obedience in that class also and it won't be the two of you walking in circles yelling sit, stay and heel plus he will enjoy agitilty more.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I will continue with Intermediate training, and then the Agility in the summer. We are moving soon and should have lots of space to practice then. He really needs to work on the obedience thing. The place that has the agility is kind of a colleague in the rescue world and I don't really want to embarrass myself by talking my dog to the class and having him not listen to a thing I say.

I'm excited! I have always wanted to get a dog that I could do agility with, at the time I was thinking Aussie or Border Collie, but Carter will definitely do just as well! Cash is too old and doesn't have the stamina for it.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atphiladelphia »

I have lots of friends that do agility with thier australian shepards and border collies. i do not personally have the time to commit to training the dogs any more than i do with our obediance class. we do go on hikes regularly and walks in the park daily...and my dogs, LOVE the playground. They go up the ladders and steps, down the slides for treats, over and under the bridges and jump on the tables, etc. they absolutely love it. After our times in the park, i always think about how much they would love agility. if you have time and are prepared for the commitment, because the classes do move quickly, then do it!!!

let us know how it goes, i am curious.

ashley tucker & penny
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!