Afraid of moving vehicles...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Afraid of moving vehicles...

Post by CHowgal »

Ever since we got Jasper, he's always been afraid of cars and such in general... Well, we've finally gotten him to the point where he absolutely loves to go for car rides, but when we're walking around and a vehicle goes by he freaks out and tries to get away. He doesn't want to be ANYWHERE near where that vehicle is, and tries to hide behind me, Tippsy, my mom, parked cars or in the woods.

And I was wondering if any of y'all have delt with something like this? It makes me scared to know that he can yank me around already when trying to get away and he's gonna get a LOT bigger... :postit-question:
Jess
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Afraid of moving vehicles...

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe isn't afraid of moving vehicles but she won't walk in front of, behind or get into a running car, the engine has to be turned off before she will get in. If we are crossing an intersection she will move to the other side of me blocking her from the car. I can see it bothers her because she puts her head down and speeds up to get away from the car.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

When Gracie was a young one, she was scared of cars too. I always had to avoid certain streets for walking her because of it (no sidewalks where we lived). What helped her was when we was in WI for awhile, I'd walk her all the time. It really didn't take her long to learn how to ignore the sounds of cars going by. What I never did get her use to was walking over a bridge when a car goes by. She gets so scared she doesn't know which way to jump and its always toward the road. If your street is extremely busy with traffic, maybe try a street with less and work your way up to a more active street, just pick streets with sidewalks. Gracie went from being scared of cars going by to now being able to walk on streets with no sidewalks and is never bothered at all when cars pass us. Just keep working with Jazz on it.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Consider that he may have been thrown out a moving vehicle when he was abandoned. His last look at security before he was left alone may be a moving car. You may never get him comfortable completely with his fears, but with time and patience, he may be able to control his impulse to flee or hide.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Auddymay wrote:Consider that he may have been thrown out a moving vehicle when he was abandoned. His last look at security before he was left alone may be a moving car. You may never get him comfortable completely with his fears, but with time and patience, he may be able to control his impulse to flee or hide.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've thought that from the time I noticed that he had issues with being in or around the car. He just scares me, because I don't want him to end up getting away and getting hurt.
sweetpea wrote:When Gracie was a young one, she was scared of cars too. I always had to avoid certain streets for walking her because of it (no sidewalks where we lived). What helped her was when we was in WI for awhile, I'd walk her all the time. It really didn't take her long to learn how to ignore the sounds of cars going by. What I never did get her use to was walking over a bridge when a car goes by. She gets so scared she doesn't know which way to jump and its always toward the road. If your street is extremely busy with traffic, maybe try a street with less and work your way up to a more active street, just pick streets with sidewalks. Gracie went from being scared of cars going by to now being able to walk on streets with no sidewalks and is never bothered at all when cars pass us. Just keep working with Jazz on it.
Our road isn't busy, and we have a sidewalk all throughout our neighborhood, but idiots speed through here without a care in the world(which ticks me off beyond belief).

But I'm not giving up on working with him.

Thanks y'all!
Jess
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxine is the same way, She is a rescue, no idea why, It could just be a fear of something big approaching quickly

David
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxine is the same way, She is a rescue, no idea why, It could just be a fear of something big approaching quickly

David
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Here's an idea...

Find a sound track featuring the sounds of an automobile, busy streets, etc, play it softly in the back ground.
After a few days, turn up the volume. Continue to do this gradually as he becomes accustomed to hearing the sounds.
I wish I knew where to find such a recording. The only one that comes to mind right now is, BURN RUBBER ON ME,
by Gap Band. :D If he doesn't lose his fear of automobile sounds, at least he will be indoctrinated with a bit
of music appreciation.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Dogdad wrote:Maxine is the same way, She is a rescue, no idea why, It could just be a fear of something big approaching quickly

David
Maybe...

bama wrote:Here's an idea...

Find a sound track featuring the sounds of an automobile, busy streets, etc, play it softly in the back ground.
After a few days, turn up the volume. Continue to do this gradually as he becomes accustomed to hearing the sounds.
I wish I knew where to find such a recording. The only one that comes to mind right now is, BURN RUBBER ON ME,
by Gap Band. :D If he doesn't lose his fear of automobile sounds, at least he will be indoctrinated with a bit
of music appreciation.
That's a good idea. I'm almost possitive he's sensitive to the sound, so I'll have to see if I can find anything with those noises.
Jess