Can't figure out which to choose...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Can't figure out which to choose...

Post by CHowgal »

What kind of crate do y'all sugest? Jazz has gotten too big for the one we've been using and my mom finally broke to getting a new one, and I just want some oppinions. :postit-question: :postit-smile: THANKS!
Jess
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Can't figure out which to choose...

Post by Desi »

We have a Life Stages,42x 28x31
Indestructable!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Thanks Desi.

My mom seems to be looking more towards the plastic crates. Supposedly because it'll be more den-like for him, without us haveing to cover it with a towel. Not sure yet though, which one we'll be getting.
Jess
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Those plastic crates tend to be too hot for a Chow, a wire crate is a much better choice.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

I told her that, but she doesn't do much with listening to me... #-o Hopefully I can talk her into a wire kennel, 'cause I prefer those too.
Jess
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Is Jazz a strong chewer? The reason I asked, Sophie decided she didn't want to be in one of the plastic types at daycare. She chewed right through it. Actually I think they said she basically shredded it.

Sophie likes her wire crate without a towel/blanket over it. She prefers keeping an eye on everything so she removed the towel/blanket.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Jazz only chews his toys, FINALLY. :lol: He actually chooses to be in his crate a lot. We've had him in both types, when he was really tiny we had him in our cats carrier that's plastic, and when he outgrew that he moved into the wire kennel that we originally bought for our yorkie, who has never used it a day in his life. He's never tried to destroy either of them. But we do want to make sure we get one he can't escape because it's where he'll stay when we go off and can't take him. He's been known to get into things even when we just take our eyes off him for a minute. He likes to hide, too. I think a place where he can disappear to is a good idea for him.
Jess
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

They have wire crates in different colors on Petedge.com, if they don't like them because of the black color. Also, the plastic ones usually have humps in the bottom, so they dog is not comfortable unless there is a pad in there, but it just gets way too hot for most of them.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

I know. Tippsy NEVER liked the plastic one we had for her years ago. She was happy when Sophie(the schnauzer) chewed it up. That's why I'm leaning towards the wire one. I can always cover it with a towel for the den affect.
Jess
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

My suggestion is the wire crate for all the same reasons everyone else has already stated.
The main concern is a plastic crate is too hot for a chow.
If your chow gets too hot in the plastic crate, he/she will figure a way out,
even if it means tearing through it with their teeth.
You will probably be money ahead with a wire crate.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I agree with the others, wire .. I have a wire cage and still use a waterbed cushion for Nikki in the summer months.. to keep her cool.. she smelled so bad in a plastic crate when I had to use one for a week ..she seemed to sweat and her fur was always matted down. She loves her watermattress. I thought the trainer was kidding me when she suggested it but she loves it.. and it helps with keeping hotspots from flaring up in the summer.. and no fleas can get into it. Not that we ever had any but for those that do ...
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

exactly what I keep stressing to my mom, so here's to hoping she listens for once.
Jess