Pulled a tiny tick off eyelid - eyelid swollen

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pulled a tiny tick off eyelid - eyelid swollen

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Hi Everyone, After reading about the fire I know this isn't as nearly as important but want to put it out there anyway. I found a tick on my boy's eyelid this morning. The tick hadn't engorged itself yet, however, Nem's eyelid is swollen pink. He swelled up from the last bite I found but that tick was big already. I managed to pluck the tick off cleanly without leaving any behind and then dabbled the lid with some topical anti infective spray, sprayed on gauze. Think he'll be fine? Does anyone elses dog swell up? I hate ticks they're so nasty!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pulled a tiny tick off eyelid - eyelid swollen

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Chen is highly allergic to bee stings and swells up fast, we allways keep some benadryl on hand just in case. If you have any on hand it would probably help make the swelling go down some.
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

If i may make a suggestion...

My akita had gotten ticks BAD one year. I went to the vet and bought a Preventic collar...and within 24 hours of him wearing it most of the ticks had fallen off, and what was left were dead and easily brushed off. Those things work WONDERS.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Ticks leave such nasty marks after they're gone. It takes awhile for them to go completely away. Hopefully he'll be fine.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

Sooo, its that time of year again. Ticks are so veryvery gross, and where I live we gets tons of them in the spring and fall. Anyways, its a normal reaction for the area around to swell then develop almost a little hard bump where the tick had bitten, all part of normal healing and the hard lumpy thing is the dogs immune system isolating the bite. My neighbours dog had the eye-tick bite and he took about a week for it to go down. For next time, you could take the tick to the vets to see if it's a lyme disease carrier, they usually don't charge for the testing as they like to know for themselves, if its not, other than the grossness of them, they're not much to worry about. Horrid creatures still....
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Update: Hi All thanks for the replies. His eyelid returned to normal within I'd say.. 8 hours. Color and everything. Poor little guy before I noticed it on him my husband said to look him over for ticks (as had just went for a walk) I gave him a pat down then I reported he was all clean. The whole time Nem's face is right in front of my face and hadn't even noticed it. Nem looked like he was squinting at me. Then I kept looking at him because of the squinting, like he had the sun in his face, but did not.

About the testing, i've asked my vet that before about that i'm told to get his blood checked in 6 months for the heartworm/lymes tests - in which i'm already a month into the last bite we found. I'd rather have the tick tested because technically i'd have to have 2 blood tests in a months span, 6 months from today. Then what if you found 1 tick per month on your dog for the next six months. That's silly to keep going back to get tested, but still important at the same time.

I'll try that collar thing too that's a good idea.

If he swells in the area of the bite, could that mean that his throat could swell too, like that Mccauley Caukin did in that movie....??? /:)

Having a dog brings so much joy, but yet the same time I'm on the edge of my seat all the time...... [-o|
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

Glad that his little eye is back to normal, you must be feeling better about it too...lol. luckily it doesn't swell like that, its more like (again...kinda gross...) an under-the-skin-pimple that doesn't form a head but can leave a little lump, yay for subaceous cycts, lol.

This is what my vet told me about ticks... if there's no little lump that forms, from an engorged tick bite site, it means that your dog may be more suceptible to their dieases and you might think about blood testing after bites, the forming of the lump is the immune system isolating it just in case that tick was a carrier, please keep in mind that it's normal not to form one on eyelids or toes or other areas that just don't have alot of tissue around them...

Every tick season my vet tends to track where infected ticks are and once I find out there's none in my area, I just get them off her and keep and eye out for extreme lethargy about a month after the bite (mark it on a calendar), no blood tests but remember to turn the tick slightly and slowly (I mean slowly and gently) as you pull it out, otherwise the head could stay in the skin. He's a really good vet, pass this info on to others "in-ticks"

That being said, we really are full of them up here in NS in spring and fall, so much that people get them too and they are found on floors of homes, in beds etcetc...gross eh? and kids/adults alike check eachother after a walk in the woods.
Karla and Mika
ImageImage