General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KasperKisses
Rank 1
Rank 1

Animal Planet wants a Chow Chow Story!

Post by KasperKisses »

Hello!
My name is Jennifer MacIsaac and I am contacting you on behalf of Powderhouse Productions, we produce the show Dogs 101 on Animal Planet!
We are going to be featuring the Chow Chow on an upcoming segment of our show and are currently exploring options for a human interest story about the breed to highlight on our episode.
I was wondering if you had recently experienced any amazing or unique rescue stories that might be interesting to feature on our show! If not, perhaps you know of some Chows that are doing something different or special?
Please feel free to get in touch either by phone or e-mail- I sincerely appreciate any help or direction you might be able to offer and look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks,Jen
--
Jennifer MacIsaac
Powderhouse Productions
Animal Planet's Dogs 101
212 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144
(office) 617.629.0300 x 270
(mobile) 339.225.0565
http://www.powderhouse.net

I have spoke with Jennifer and actually told her about the situation with Kasper and BeBe (Wookie) and how they are both such awesome dogs but both would have been put to sleep because of their temperments had they not been rescued. And after watching Jeff's video, it's so sad to see the ones that were...beautiful and, most likely, wonderful dogs but circumstances and people's ignorance of the breed prevented them from finding their forever homes. Though she recognized the problem and the bad rap that the Chow Chows have with the shelters, they are looking for more of a human interest piece. She felt that the entire rescue situation was more of a full episode than just a human interest piece featuring a rescued Chow Chow.
Just so that you can get an idea of what they are looking for...I told her of Bubba's situation. How he was an owner surrender at such an advanced age and was very depressed in the shelter. Once he connected with Robbi...totally different dog. We have videos of him following Robbi around, laying in the middle of the band while they practiced, basically being involved in every aspect of his life. Had he still been alive, that would have been the type of story they are looking for. Unfortunately, as with a lot of our chows...Kasper can only be cute, adoring, cost money and totally make life better.
So if you know of a fantastic rescue story, let Jen know of it! And let us know also:)
How many Chows does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one if you're Kasper. Hold on and the world revolves around him!!!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Animal Planet wants a Chow Chow Story!

Post by Laura »

I watch that show always on the look-out for the Chow episode. Now I see why I haven't found it yet.
Whoever they pick to be on the show I hope that person sets the record straight on Chows!! How wonderful would it be to not only show that Chows can be loving rescues with what I would guess to be the same success rate as any dog adopted from a shelter but also a Chow being used as a service dog. Anywho it's a great opportunity to help change the Chow reputation and highlight the positives and put to rest the negatives.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I would suggest Lou, with her starlette Miss P to the B. The fact that she is a rescue is of course, also a plus. Then, there is Khana and Melanie in Alaska. Khana does obedience and is currently being certified as an assistance animal.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Haha, when I get Carter's breed test back, I would love to enter him, although I am sure there are others more deserving.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

This would be great! A positive outlook on chows.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Auddymay wrote:I would suggest Lou, with her starlette Miss P to the B.
That's a really sweet thought, but Miss PB honestly gets paid ($$$) for her on-camera work. So that makes her a professional and I think they want non-professional stories of courage and selflessness and far more benevolence than Miss PB offers, although she does open her home to many a chow in need of refuge with much grace. How about Dandelion (formerly Lumpy) remember her? Her story would be quite touching. Then again, Charlie's story (aka Poe) was heartbreaking and then uplifting. Had it not been for him the chow rescue branch of Rocket Dog would have never been started by Jenn. Charlie/Poe's rescue saved so many of our beloved purple tongued kissers! If they are looking for an actual "service" chow, Buffy's story is good too. She was dumped at the parking lot and has grown to be a beautiful chow girl who is her mom's teaching assistant.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Jan, the lady in Ohio who found Colonel roaming the streets has already been contacted by Animal Planet about Colonel's story.
Of course, I'm hoping his story will be chosen, because of all the folks involved, including all of you on this website, who supported
him and got him all the way to Alabama!
I'm waiting by the phone, as we speak!!!! LOL

Also, Colonel hosted the first ever Alabama Chow Fest, where incredibly, 13 chows all laying on my deck soaking up the sun, without
a single incident! I hope this is someing they could re-create, bringing us all back together for an Animal Planet Chowfest!!!
However, again, the greatest story is how we all came to meet for the first time in the spirit of our beloved chows!
Now, we chow chow devotee, are have to keep our little fur balls in the limelight, so that the world can know what a wonderful
addition to the family they are.
Last edited by bama on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I think the colonel's story would be a great story!!! Whenever someone hears something on this let us know when it will air.
SweetPea Rocks!!
KasperKisses
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by KasperKisses »

Kasper wants to know how to get paid the $$$'s for being so awesome!!! LOL...
I have posted the link to this website to Jan and asked her to let us know what story they end up with. I'm sure she will. I've never heard Colonel's story!!! Where can I find it? He's such a beauty...
How many Chows does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one if you're Kasper. Hold on and the world revolves around him!!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Print modeling baby! Print modeling!!!
Work it, work it.....FABULOUS!!!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

If you want to find some of Colonels' story you can look it up by user posts.
1st check "Simba" by Bama
This is the post where she found him in Cleveland, Ohio through Jan who found him running through the neighborhood she lives in.

2nd check "Sweet Home Alabama" by Sharons Chows
This is the post where Alan, my EX significant other sprung him from the pound and drove him partway through Ohio to meet up with Mark, Bama's husband...and his trip to Atlanta and then home....and I provided the narrative.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

That would be great if they could re-enact the bama chowfest...wasn't I there with the girls? lol. I hope they pick the Colonel, it would be great!
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Sherill,

I would love to have all those beautiful chows together again. I'm sure we can drag along Vicky with her girls. Bear in mind I have no desire to be on TV but I would enjoy sharing Mimi. Several of those chows were rescues so there is bound to be a few stories among them.

I have several of Missy's pictures on my computer screensaver at work. One of my favorites is you sitting on the deck with Colonel, Mimi and Noami all trying to kiss you. People love looking at all those gorgeous hunks of fur!

Here's hoping the Colonel is the chosen one!

Nita, Marty, and Mimi
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

That would be great..... where was the chowfest at anyway? I don't think it is really driving distance for us.... but one of these days I would love to go to one!
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Nope wouldn't have to drag me!!! We would love to see the Colonel on TV and all our Chowy friends again
Yes, I do believe I did see you & the girls there, Auddy O:)
Birmingham Ala., Sweet Home Alabama....Where the skies are so blue....Sweet Home Ala. :-oo
Go Colonel!!! Go Colonel!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Oh my, weren't all of you here at Chowfest? I distinctly remember you guys being here, because you ate ALL of the Boudain sausage
that Vickie brought! LOL Geez, I love that stuff!
Personally, I haven't heard a word from Animal Planet. What I have heard came from Jan.
A few weeks ago, I posted a story about Colonel on the internet, ok? This is how Animal Planet ended up with his
story. I'm sure they have many stories they are considering, however I sure do hope that it is Colonel
who goes to Hollywood! He's already asking for his own trailer with a star on the door!!!!
What's a mother to do?
Possibly, to help him get chosen, he could have some groupies?
Come on chowgirls....a chowster's gotta have his entourage! :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

About a month ago I was contacted by a fellow chow person who had received a notice from the Chow Chow Club Inc. They were looking for a chow story and wanted nominations. TaLisha asked if she could nominate Khana, which (of course) I thought was wonderful. But I haven't heard anything back.

My understanding was that it was going to be filmed the week of March 16, at or near the home of the chow. Since we're already into March and I'm sure they have to make plans in advance, I would expect they've already chosen who they're going to use. And I doubt they would want to come all the way to Alaska in March, anyhow! If they were coming to Alaska they should come in June and film bears and moose and eagle and fish as well.

Anyhow, it would be neat to be a chow we "know". I think Khana would be great in this, as she's one of very few chows who are active as Service Dogs and she's truly a great ambassador for the breed. But then again, I am a bit biased .. *LOL* .. whatever dog they choose, I hope it's a good story and a good plug for the chow breed overall. We can always use some good publicity to help us stay away from breed specific legislation.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Khana, Dora, Trick and Tazer
Michael N
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Michael N »

I sincerely hope this program will help dispel the beliefs that Chows are somehow dangerous and a dog to be avoided. I had an acquaintance that own a Pit bull, Rottweiler and Doberman, all very sweet, and well behaved dogs. It was Howie's believe that it is the owner, not the dog, the makes the dog bad. This is not to say there are not acceptions to this, but it is easy to say the same thing about people. I would say the only two dogs I have been bitten by were the small yappy variety.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I still haven't heard anything either. But, Colonel is not phased, he still thinks he's Hollywood material!! \:D/ \:D/
**Photo by Sweet Pea.