General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

The Amazing weather-proof Chows

Post by gebower »

Hi Everyone,
It still justs amazes me about Chows and the weather. I'm in Michigan and it gets pretty nasty here and this winter has been a bad one. But, my Chows look at it like, "What's the problem? It's fine!" It's 23 degrees right now and I can't get them to come in because it's "summer" for them. I've seen them actually lay down on the porch and take it easy when it was ZERO out. While I'm shivering. I really think that Chows DO NOT know what cold is. They know what hot is, but they do not know what cold is. The Chinese bred them to be weather-proof and weather-proof they are. I've seen them totally covered in snow and do one shake and it's all off, like that's nothing. You let other dogs out in this and they can't wait to get back in. Of course Chows aren't other dogs. They're Chows! You can't tell I love Chows, can you? They are pretty amazing animals and quite entertaining. I love them dearly. That's all I got to say.
Gene
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The Amazing weather-proof Chows

Post by Sharons Chows »

My Cheyenne thinks that 0 degrees and 2 feet of snow was why she was put on earth.
She just loves it but Mommy isn't really happy plowing around in it and trying to get her to come in.
When my JR was younger he was the same way but as he approaches 13 he seems to tolerate it less and likes his throne on the couch with a window behind to look out instead.
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I'm right with you there ge! I'm also in Michigan, right in a snow belt. When they call for 3-5 inches, we get more like 8-10 where I live. Where is your city at?

I had Carter out to go potty last night and it was well below 0 and he didn't care in the slightest. I'm freezing my butt off and he's trying to stick his face in the frozen snow bank! Him and Frisco both will/would roll in the snow and dive in face first.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Oh yes. Nothing much bothers a chow when it's cold. The only thing that bothers Molly is when it's wet. She HATES getting her dainty little feet wet! Lay down in the snow...no problem!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Weeeelll! Henry also thinks it's summer, he was so happy when he realised it was snowing again this morning, skipping and hopping on his walk, he then lay in the snow while I shovelled the pavements. Then he couldn't wait to lay in the sun that was starting to peek through the clouds. I know you can all imagine how miffed he was when he realised that the lovely sun had melted his lovely snow and turned the pavements into treacherous puddly wet stuff :shock: It was a problem trying to get him to walk on the pavement when the road was still snowy :lol:
Thank you Sweatpea
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

My chows must just be spoiled rotten brats lol, I feel left out! None of them like being outside when it's cold especially Chen because it seems to make his patella worse and he has a hard time getting up when it's really cold outside. Cai Li, Shao and Meng would all rather be inside where it's warm they act all dejected if I leave them out when it's cold and then when I let them in they start doing zoomies in the house...I don't know if any of you have 80 pound chows but Shao and Meng are both that big and 160 pounds plus Cai Li's 60 pounds doing zoomies in the house =; watch out for your legs because they will take you down in a second!
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Exactly, It is summer in northern Chowland. Yoshi will stay in the snow all day, get completely covered with snow, shake and sit back down. Maxine Jumps in snow banks,with shaved tummy like they are warm ocean waves. Now that it is warm 30's in the days, the chowkids are enjoyiing the snow even more, I think they know soon we will be in the swimming pool season

David
salty dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by salty dog »

my chow mix loves the snow and the colder the better. only problem we have is his feet, they get cold when it goes below -5 . and yes he doesn't like rain either, god forbid his feet get wet from rain ok to get wet from snow but not rain.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry here:

Rain is all evil :twisted:

It's ok to lay outside and be rained on but heaven forbid Mum calls me in and I have to get wet feet.

Fluffy sow is much more fun, I can bury my nose and pretend to be a snow plow and I can bounce in and out of the deep stuff - Mum moans at me when I drag her throught the deep stuff though and complains the snow goes down her shoes, now she knows why I don't like to wear the ridiculous booties she got me for when it's snowing though, thankfully she only makes me wear them when it's still coming down - we're tho only ones out so I know I'm not going to be seen by the other mutts.
Thank you Sweatpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily here. The best numbers in the world-32 as in degrees, with a breeze, please...33 cuz that is what I weigh, hehe...34 or 35- the speed mum travels in the car when she puts the windows down and lets me stick my nose out,
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Auddymay wrote:Lily here. The best numbers in the world-32 as in degrees, with a breeze, please...33 cuz that is what I weigh, hehe...34 or 35- the speed mum travels in the car when she puts the windows down and lets me stick my nose out,

Henry here: What's all this sticking noses out of windows - I've never done that :cry: Mum has just got a little sports car that she keeps telling me I'll like but m y lovely snow has to go first. :evil:
Thank you Sweatpea
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

It amazes me that chows love snow, but hate rain!
So how is it so many of you live in Michigan? Are you all cousins? LOL
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!