Scariest day of my life!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Scariest day of my life!!!

Post by jaxsun_12 »

So on thursday, i get a phone call at work from DH. someone had let Jack black out of the yard and he was missing. So i go flying home and we go searching for him. Its the middle of winter here in saskatchewan. the temperature that day was -30. so after an hour, i leave the car with DH and go back to work. i get home at 11pm and jack still isnt home and theres no sign of him. we went back out with a friend untill 2:30am, nothing... i'm crying because its now -35 and he's loose running around the town all alone. I phone the SPCA and leave a message that there is a chow on the lost and i'll call again in the morning. So at 6:30am i phone again and talk to the lady and she says she will let animal control know there is a chow on the loose. We go back out looking, putting up posters. Get home at 11 and theres a message from the SPCA. i phone back and they say that they think they have found my dog! I guess a guy from animal control lives in these apartments right next to the river and he spotted jack in the middle of the ice and he said that it looked like he was hurt. So we find out where exactly he is and go flying down to the river. its now been 18 hours in -35, cold and alone no food or water. we go running down the river bank, and theres my poor little cold frozen boy laying in the middle of the river in a ball, looking like he's givin up on life. i started crying again, DH went walking out on the ice to get him, Jack is disorientated and barks and growls at him till he smells his hand then he peed all over and tryed to stand up but he couldnt because his feet were so cold. DH carried him up the hill to the car. jack is happy and licking us to death and finnaly warming up. we took him to the vet the next day and he is completely fine. nothing wrong with him at all, just cold. There is now a lock on the gate. we were so scared that we wouldnt find him alive, but we did.

So today i went to the store and bought a whole bunch of dog toys and took them to the SPCA. With out their help, my Jack Black wouldnt be here, so i decided to bring some joy to the little fellers at the shelter in Jacks honor.

What a Day!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Scariest day of my life!!!

Post by TJordan »

Oh Poor baby. I am so happy you found him when you did. Sounds like he had a rough time. Glad he is OK and home safe. I think the toys for the SPCA was a nice touch!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

OMG! What a story! I am SO glad Jack is o.k.! The poor guy! He must have been awfully glad to get back to his nice, warm home.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

i guess we're lucky here no snow...well not where we are..and i wish we did so bear could experience playing in it..but after reading this story im kinda glad we dont have snow...you were lucky...someone was up there looking after you both...poor baby as long as everythings good now....
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

You know he's back to normal when the first thing he did when he came home was attack the cat. poor Davin missed jack alot and just wanted cuddles from his brother, but jack has to pin him to the ground and slobber all aver him. when we got him off the ice he had a piece of blanket on his head. so we think he might have highjacked a dog house or something like that for the night!
chris

Post by chris »

OMG... thank GOD you found the poor guy. Any ideas who may have let him out?
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OMG I would have just completely lost it :shock: I'm sooooo glad you found him when you did and he is ok. Thank God that guy saw him =D=

Thanks Sweetpea!
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

Lets just say it was the worst sleep i've ever had. I woke up crying at least 5 times. John cried when jack realized who he was and started waging his tail. :_| :)

We live in a neighborhood full of a certain breed of delinquents. these also being the people that have jumped on the hood of my car and kicked the front window in, then two weeks later smashed the side window and spray painted a bunch of cars next to mine. we believe that these are the people responsible for opening the gate and letting jack free. If i see anyone go near that gate again, heads will roll. i know that sounds horrid, but you dont touch other peoples things, and you dont mess with my jack!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh my goodness - what a wonderful story and I am so glad you got him back none the worse for his adventure. :lol: \:D/ =D= \:D/ :lol: :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

If only they could talk eh? I really wanna know what he did all night. I'm sure it would be a good story! :mrgreen:
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Maybe you don't want to know! :shock:
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

good point!
atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atphiladelphia »

What an amazing story. I AM SOOO GLAD YOU FOUND HIM!! we lost our chow of 11 years last June while someone was watching him (we were on our honeymoon) We weren't even able to look for him, because they didn't tell us until we got home. Unfortuanaly after 2 weeks of looking, calling around, driving, crying, we found him in the woods, it was too late. Now whenever i see a dog who looks like he has lots his way i do EVERYTHING i can to help get them found.
I am so happy for you, he is lucky to have parents like you. He is surely HAPPY to be home. :)

Thanks for the uplifting story. :)

we now have two chows who are the loves of our lives!

ashley.
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I'm sooo glad that you were able to find Jack! I would have been doing the same thing, crying all night and probably my crazy butt would be out looking at 3am even! I guess there is an advantage to my chows being so protective of our back yard then, no one in their right mind would touch our gate let alone come close enough to open it and if they did well I have a feeling that I would come home to a bloody mess in my driveway and I don't mean the chows! My daughter left the gate unlatched once while I was at the grocery store and when I came home they heard my car and came running for the car and straight to me, thank god, so it wasn't a huge deal just glad to know that they stayed in the gate the whole time while I was gone but were just so glad to see me that's when they opened the gate. When I first moved into this house the front door has to be pulled hard to latch and we were moving things back and forth and my son didn't latch the front door and Chen, Cai Li and RA got out (RA is a ACD/heeler mix and weighs all of 30 pounds) and there is a very busy street at the end of the block well RA found her way to that street and got hit by a car, she ended up being ok but I about had a heart attack! Cai Li was easy to capture she loves us but Chen is the typical chow and loves to play catch me if you can...that one took a bit longer but at least he didn't head the way of the busy street!
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

OMG!!! Missing in Sask winter, that could be real bad stuff?!?!?! How lucky that he's got no bite from the cold eh? Man, chows are down with the cold but Sask and Man are something else in the winter... I'm beyond glad he was found, I got really choked up reading about his/your ordeal, I couldn't imagine but I do know that cold and its upsetting... Anyways, good for you for sharing the love with SPCA. Glad for you guys!
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so glad he is ok. I can imagine how scared you were

David
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Thank God that Jack was found safe, a little bit frozen, but alive.
Years ago I sold a puppy to a school teacher, one night her son left the gate to the farm open and all her chow got out, they found Sultan and Mailai, but Misha was gone, well we put flyers up all over the place and informed the vets and the pet shop in the area, Three weeks later we received a phone call from a man saying there was a lion on the farm and the farm staff wanted him to shoot it, knowing that there were no Lions in the area, he went to have a look, there he saw a very dangerously sick Misha, He called us and we went to fetch him, He was mattered and had tick bite fever very badly, he was so weak that he could not stand, He was taken to the nearest vet for treatment, and spent nearly a week in hospital before he was allowed home. Once he was on the road to recovery, he was taken to the parlour and a complete shave was done, He soon picked up and thankfull to the farmer that found him, Of course a reward was offered, but the farmer refused, saying he was just thankful that Misha survived. Misha lived till he was 11 years old. and died of natural causes.,
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441