Throwdown at the Park

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Throwdown at the Park

Post by TJordan »

Butters has been having a good time at the park lately on our walks. Seems he really enjoys stealing people's tennis balls. He has collected three now.

But yesterday was not so good. We were walking minding our own business when I see 2 loose dogs. One we have encountered before and he jumped Butters. He is a 100 lb. Lab. Butters got the best of him and sent him and his kid home crying. (mind you this dog is never on a leash) I suppose they think since they live across the street from the park it is theirs.

So now they have 2 dogs. (What a surprise :lol: ) People who don't need one have more. The lab was smart enough to remember out last encounter and stayed away. This dog chased us for 15 minutes. I stopped walking so the kids could catch it. But they decided it wasn't worth their time. So they told me oh well he won't bite you #-o I said Mine will eat yours. They still didn't care. I couldn't shake this thing. Butters finally had enough and that dog came in for another blitz attack and Butters grabbed it with both paws. I swear he was holding it like a sandwhich. He opened his mouth, (mind you the yelping had already started) I yanked the leash a little trying to get him to loosen his grip, but with the new harness, it flipped him over (probably because both paws were busy :? ) But he wouldn't let go, so the other dog flipped as well still in the grasp of my Butters. I made a ssssht sound and Butters just looked at me /:) The other dog ran for the hills.

These people are starting to piss me off. This family inparticular. The parents are never to be seen and those dogs are always loose. I am actually proud that Butters waited that long, as I was annoyed much earlier than him. So now he has taken down both their dogs. I really hate to think he could hurt one but I am at a lose on what to do in those situations. They only seem to respond when another dog let's them know how it is gonna be.
SweetPea Rocks!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Throwdown at the Park

Post by vicster605 »

:wall: :wall: When someone can figure out how to deal with STUPID PEOPLE let me know???? :twisted:
They are darned lucky Butters didn't just go for it...sounds like he was practically playin' with the dog instead of what Kyra does.
Don't they have leach laws in a park?????? I would report it to someone.......lord knows they would report you. Then if one of their loose dogs gets hurt by Butters they won't have a leg to stand on.
I say if there's tennis balls in a park its fair game Butters GO GET EM!!!! \:D/

Thanks Sweetpea!
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I would hate it but I would still call animal control. Where in live in Florida, we not only have state laws but also county laws that require a leash or fenced in area at all times. An english bulldog was outside during one of Kenzie's walks and she just walked right by him, didn't care. He got up, chased her, and then tried to h*mp her. She finally had enough and snapped air towards him. He still didn't back off until his owner finally came out of the house to scoop him up. She then proceeded to call my chow aggressive and evil. I told her to keep a look out in her mailbox for a leash fine. So she told me that she'd call animal control because Kenzie is evil and aggressive. I just said go ahead. I called and explained the entire story, they said they'd send her a fine and reminder about the leash law and that if she had been following the rules, Kenzie never would've even snapped and since she didn't make contact, absolutely nothing could be done. I have no idea if she actually bothered to call but I even told on myself. It's been over a month and I still haven't received any follow up phone calls, home visits, nothing. Her dog is finally tied to a stake outside now at least.

You might have to bring in external forces if this has been a known reoccurring problem.

As for the tennis balls, finders keepers!
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

That's too bad that you and Butters had to go throught that, its never a good experience, that's horrid, I'm glad Butters is OK, who leaves kids unsupervised in highly public areas with dogs off lead anyways? at home or cabin or big field or truly under the kid's control is different but by the sounds of it the kids were indifferent to begin with. Oh my, sorry about that lil'rant but its people like that who might then shout far and wide that a chow attacked their dogs and kids...re: tballs...Butters, if you can find them, they're yours, if you can steal them, they're yours, if you can catch them, they're yours.... give'r Butters!

We have a similar problem with our neighbour's unsocialized aggressive shepherd; off leash in the yard playing with the kids pretty much daily, no parents within earshot. We've had a few run ins (every time she's off her lead) and even with her dad (alpha), tried to get her to sniff Mika or at least just accept her presence on the road in front of their place but all to no avail. Mika is great at ignoring her and every time we walk up the road for the past few months she's never on her lead, a few weeks ago it escalated. Off lead wt the kids (great kids!), ingored their calling her off, no parental response either, had us pinned doing the concentric circles and snapping, not good stuff. With Mika behind(she was calm and collected) I was trying to be the "good-defending-pack-leader" it was 10 minutes of onslaught attack and I was beyond fed up... I poked her side with my foot, not kicked!(I'd have lost a hand) to stop her focus and it worked enough to break her pacing us, I got nipped and Mika'd HAD IT! here's where Mika took over and grabbed her by the neck for the take down. The kids were saying "she just wants to play with her"(neck fur on end?!...kids don't know these things though) I kept saying that it's not Mika I'm worried about. STILL NO PARENTS!!! Anyways, the shepherd got a few scrapes and Mika was fine, but they haven't stopped allowing the dog off lead with just the kids around, just because a dog is good with their kids doesn't mean its safe and, they know she's both person and dog aggressive.

I hear you on this point so well, what are we to do in these situations? I've stopped walking past their house, its no sweat off us but we live in the country, lots of places for a trot, I feel for you in the city where green space might be limited especially since they live accross from the park. Still, its not something that should have to be endured for the sake of some good outdoors time. And, really, such people should do some dog-person human socialization because they might not appreciate that its their task to control them, they might have "gotten the dogs for the kids", hence not their problem although these same people probably carry themselves like that in general and don't realize how to be a responsable adult. Again, sorry to rant a bit but this is how chows can get a bad rep and it bothers me.
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh I have been ranting since last night. But my biggest fear is that if I call animal control they will tell how the big mean chow attacked. I know I am in the right because we do have leash laws. But really who are they gonna think is the problem, the chow or the lab and it's dorky little friend. Butters isn't exactly a friendly fella!! Still he ignores dogs unless they are without leash and charging. But I am not sure animal control around here would care. Honestly people around here could care less, law or not. They only made the leash law last year. But I may have to give in and call.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I love the Sumo wrestling abilities of a Chow, Pekoe has flipped a few dogs on there back that were 3 times the size of her, some how she flips them on there back then goes for the throat but doesn't bite she just holds them down.

I gave up trying to reason with stupid people, their dogs aren't leashed then they yell its ok my dog is friendly, I use to yell back thats great but mine isn't but now I just stand there watching the dog approach and let Pekoe do her thing then watch the people scream OMG and come running. When they finely get to their dog I say, Gee that must be what leashes are for, ever see one, then I show them Pekoes leash. They get mad but thats what make the walks entertaining.

Butters is looking good in the grooming dept, which I could get pekoe groomed but after the last incident i'm afraid to chance it. Pekoe is beginning to look like the abandon chows at the shelters that have been alone on the streets for months.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

TJordan wrote:Butters has been having a good time at the park lately on our walks. Seems he really enjoys stealing people's tennis balls. He has collected three now.

But yesterday was not so good. We were walking minding our own business when I see 2 loose dogs. One we have encountered before and he jumped Butters. He is a 100 lb. Lab. Butters got the best of him and sent him and his kid home crying. (mind you this dog is never on a leash) I suppose they think since they live across the street from the park it is theirs.

So now they have 2 dogs. (What a surprise :lol: ) People who don't need one have more. The lab was smart enough to remember out last encounter and stayed away. This dog chased us for 15 minutes. I stopped walking so the kids could catch it. But they decided it wasn't worth their time. So they told me oh well he won't bite you #-o I said Mine will eat yours. They still didn't care. I couldn't shake this thing. Butters finally had enough and that dog came in for another blitz attack and Butters grabbed it with both paws. I swear he was holding it like a sandwhich. He opened his mouth, (mind you the yelping had already started) I yanked the leash a little trying to get him to loosen his grip, but with the new harness, it flipped him over (probably because both paws were busy :? ) But he wouldn't let go, so the other dog flipped as well still in the grasp of my Butters. I made a ssssht sound and Butters just looked at me /:) The other dog ran for the hills.

These people are starting to piss me off. This family inparticular. The parents are never to be seen and those dogs are always loose. I am actually proud that Butters waited that long, as I was annoyed much earlier than him. So now he has taken down both their dogs. I really hate to think he could hurt one but I am at a lose on what to do in those situations. They only seem to respond when another dog let's them know how it is gonna be.
Way to go Butters, kick *Censored Word* and take names. =D= I really don't see how they can say a thing to you about it, their dog was loose, and their dog provoked the attack. I had my share of stupid people to deal with, and it usually requires their dog getting it's *Censored Word* kicked before they do something about it.

I have some neighbors with some terrifying dogs, and they get out all the time. Well, one day one got out and charged me, that was a huge mistake because one of mine knocked open the screen door and went after it, ran it back home and up into a corner and proceeded to whip it's *Censored Word*, haven't had a problem with that dog since! :lol:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh that move with the paws was great!! It looked like he might squeeze it to death. I have no doubts now about his hunting skills!! I just really hate the dirty looks I get after these incidents. :roll: But let's face it, if Butters would have wanted that dog dead, it would be dead!! He just wanted to tell it to back off in no uncertain terms!

Thanks Jeff, Butters is becoming a pain to groom. He runs everytime I pick up a brush :roll:
SweetPea Rocks!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well done Butters - I hate those sort of incidents with stupid people! /:)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm sorry you had this experience.
There is no excuse for the human parents of these two furry instigators.
The dogs are the ones that have to pay the price for their parents ignorance!
I hope the two have learned their lesson and don't mess with....THE BIG BAD BUTTERS!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I get really mad when this happens. When Bear was old(13), our neighbor's dog would run down (when I would walk him in the dark before bed) and scare the crap out of me. She is part Rottie and quite huge. It was like a bear coming out of nowhere. I worried that Bear, being old and a bit infirm, would get hurt. Plus, all thoughts of doing his business were out the window. Finally, one of our neighbors was taking care of a friends dog, walking it on a leash, and this big Rottie-mix attacked and broke the little dog's jaw, and I'm not sure what else. Long story short...the neighbors now keep the dog inside and walk it when it needs to go out, on a leash! Bear is gone... but at least we don't have to worry the pest will attack again. People are so inconsiderate!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Butteers is is such a nice and patient boy.

David
chris

Post by chris »

Dogdad wrote:Butteers is is such a nice and patient boy.

David

sure, untill he gets P-O'ed. :wink:
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

LOL, at David and Chris!!! The Wrath of Butters!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
salty dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by salty dog »

i have a chow rottie mix and when i walk him i carry citronella spray it works wonders for dogs on there own. you go butters
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Sounds like butters can hold his own pretty well i know i wouldn't want to face him. Is there maybe someone maybe a city worker or something and complain about the loose dogs in the park? i mean it's well and good that the dogs are getting exercise but obviously they aren't being looked after properly so they should either be controlled or left at home. That or just allow butters to eat them both when no one os looking:)

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Sorry you have to deal with this. Stupid people just need to live in their own little place together where they can annoy the crap out of eachother. But if I were you I would call animal control about the 2 running loose. They could try to blame you all they want, but you and Butters weren't the one's out of line. Butters was on leash.
Jess
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Spot on Jess! :D
By the way, I love your new banner - did you do it? \:D/
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Thanks Judy! :D
No, I didn't do my banner, Sweetpea did. 8)
Jess
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

If I run into those again I will be calling Animal Control. The parents at that house are the type that just don't care!! There is another one who lives across from the park who has a "well trained dog" Who is under voice control. This would be great if the dog wasn't 30 yards in front of her at all times. She is so busy flapping her jaws that she doesn't pay attention to where he is. I saw him coming towards us (this was just a few days after the other incident) So I took Butters into the tennis court to try and put a buffer between us. Didn't work. That dog came barreling into the court and jumped up in Butters face. Butters let out his GRRRRRR and it's owner screams from 30 yards away "OMG He is Mean". That sort of rubbed me the wrong way. So I shouted back "That is because loose F%&king dogs keep jumping him". She decided she didn't want any part of me and her and her dog ran off pretending not to hear me. Although the rest of hte park heard me.

I think Jess hit it on the head. We should move to a Deserted Island somewhere!!! We may get run out of town with pitchforks soon. I really have never needed help making enemies. But Butters has tripled my enemy making abilities!! :|
SweetPea Rocks!!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

I think Ron White put it best, "you can't fix stupid." :laughloud:

The deserted island sounds like a good idea to me too. :-? We wouldn't be submitted to the ignorant baffoons. :lol:
Jess
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I wish Coco knew the Butters and Pekoe's moves. We meet so many annoying dogs but my chow doesn't even know how to growl... /:)
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

You go get 'em Butters
Good Boy

So, is it bad to say that stupid people have stupid dogs?

Or is it just the person who is stupid?
Natasha
and
Cue
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

It sounds to me like Butters did his best to ignore the other dog, but how CAN you ignore them when they're in your face? He was justified in telling those dogs that he's not to be messed with.

Anyone who has dogs loose that run up to a dog on leash is fully at fault if there's a fight (regardless of whether or not their dog is "nice"). I've even been on the loose dog end, where one of mine has run up to another dog (rarely, but it's happened) and gotten snapped at. I apologize profusely for not watching my dog better! It was completely my fault.

If I'm walking in an area where I know there are likely to be loose dogs, I'll often carry a walking stick or a stock stick (a long fiberglass pole used in herding). I have no qualms about making a stray dog stay away from my dogs. While my dogs do like other dogs, it's a pain in the butt to try to be walking while your dogs are trying to play with another dog. And on occasion, that dog running up isn't friendly and could hurt my dogs! I am their protector as much as they are mine. I don't worry much about causing pain for someone else's loose dog - would prefer to smack them, but you do what you can.

I understand the dilemma in reporting the other dogs when your dog isn't necessarily the friendly one, but you also should have the right to walk in the park. Can you take a camera along and snap some shots of the loose dogs (and of your dog on leash)? Maybe a few photos of how your dog is controlled and the others aren't will help. It's not illegal to own a dog that doesn't like other dogs, but it's not legal to let dogs run loose in a leash-controlled area.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

mikkabear wrote:You go get 'em Butters
Good Boy

So, is it bad to say that stupid people have stupid dogs?

Or is it just the person who is stupid?
It's the person's stupidity that causes the dog to be stupid. :lol: It rubs off.
Jess