that dog!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

that dog!!

Post by kez65 »

well that dog....no wait...that CHOW has a mind of his own. Today we went back to the vet to have get his vaccinations .our normal vet paul was on his day off.WELL!!!!! that chow....was ok when he walked into the reception area and he hopped on the scales...all good..we sat in the seats waiting for our consult and then it happened....the OTHER vet Sam came out and called in Bear...noooo excuse me says bear....who are you?????..he sat...and didnt budge.....not so much as an inch...kate gets up tugs on bears lead...nope..he dropped to the floor ...well sam walks over and tries to get bears attention..nope turned his head..wouldnt look at sam...So then kate tried to pick him up...nope he laid on his side and she couldnt get a grip...
when sam walked away to get a liver treat bear then stood up and was heading for the door...so we then tried to drag him in ..nope...i tried pushing him from behind..hes now sitting again....when sam wasnt in his line of sight he was ok...so then we slid him across the floor into sams consult room..now dont get this wrong sam was nice..he knew bears history and seemed gentle..we get into the room and sam enters thru the back entrance...well bear turned and sat probably 2 inches from the door with his back turned to sam..he was soooo stuborn.....im really thinking nah its not because the vet wasnt paul....or was it?? bear has had hydro baths there hes been there so many times in 2 months and hes never behaved like this.....please tell me this isnt bear telling us hes in control....and is paul going to have to be bears vet for life....
the nurse and the vet were thinking he was hilarious...they were fascinated in his behaviour..i knew he was stuborn but today was unbelievable.......i cant wait to tell paul he has to move in with kate now..hes pretty much the only male other than my son and husband that he likes...any other males he acts soooo strange.....just another day in the life of THAT CHOW....:) :lol:
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: that dog!!

Post by jacqui »

yup,Chows have a mind of their own.
we see our vet and her vet tech Lisa all the time.one day Chyna had an appt. just for a blood draw with Lisa and they told us Lisa went home
so another vet tech came for Chyna and just like Bear,Chyna wouldn't budge. she sat there looking at this girl ,like she was saying'your not my Lisa'.
it was very funny, then Lisa comes out and Chyna went with her no problem.
you gotta love them :D :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Silly, stubborn Bear. Yep, that's a chow for you! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Welcome to the world of the chow. Especially if he was beaten/mistreated by a man, he's always going to be leary of them. Bear probably accepted your other vet because he was in such a bad state he didn't have any other choice and once Bear realized he was a friend, he's now Bear's friend for life.

Does anyone know of another breed that does this?
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
chris

Post by chris »

What a funny story. :-) Hey, at least he didn't go the other way and TELL THE NEW VET TO GET THE HECK AWAY FROM ME.. GRR GRRRRR GRRRR... (why do you think my new licence plate says "GRRRR") ;-)
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

ahhh cool plates! but very accurate...i keep finding out these little habits that bear has...and the vet thing was so funny...poor sam he was offended....but bear wasnt the slightest bit friendly, i just cant wait till the next lesson bear teaches us....the other thing i find strange...bear loves to get tangled in any cords that could be in his area...when i say area i mean a metre or so and he will manage to walk thru the middle even if its not directly in front of his path.why is that?? he disconnected my husbands modem and printer and our phone while he was trading...by the time gary realized bear had pulled the cords out he'd lost 125 dollars trading....but even my sewing machine..he will delibrately walk thru while im sewing and tangle the cord and next thing i know im not sewing .....he seems to like doing it....same with the kids and the playstation....again he walks thru the middle right in the middle of a game.....you cant tell me he isnt part human....he knows way too much....
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have learned from Pekoe its something they are picking up off the vet, Pekoe hates all vets or anyene touching her but there are a few that she tolorates if she refuses to go in with one that is telling something isn't right with this Vet no matter how much he is smiling, Next Vet please. For all you know that Vet may have just finished euthanizing another dog and he picked up on it or smelled death.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

really? i never thought about it that way,i just was so surprised that he behaved like that...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm not saying you should do that I have had Pekoe long enough to pretty much know what she is thinking and her responses to certain situations plus Pekoe gets what Pekoe wants if she isn't happy with one Vet we will move on until she is smiling not the vet. I always look at the other side (Chows side), to me there is a reason behind all Chows actions.

Put it this way, if you were walking down a dark alley at night and your Chow sat down and refused to move or turned the other way and wanted to leave would you continue and force your Chow down the dark alley or listen to your Chow and get the heck out of there
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

:lol: you gotta admire him for sticking to his guns. :lol:
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

While I will agree Chows are perceptive, I think they take most of their cues from us.

I used to think maddoxx could tell when stuff was happening before I did. But its not true. They can feel our energy shift and our attitudes change.
Example: My in-laws show up and Maddoxx doesn't bark or growl or watch the door , just waits eagerly but a delivery guy comes to the door and its Woof and watching the door. (also Maddoxx cannot see outside to see who is walking up) Because I was waiting for the in-laws to come I was projecting positive energy and the dog knew that the stranger at the door was family and to be relaxed about it. Should someone come to the door I don't know, well I am uneasy or unsure and so the dog will be as he is taking his cue from me and my energy.

I expect that when you saw the new ( unknown ) vet he read it instantly and decided he was not going to allow a stranger into his circle.

I learned how powerful my attitude can be while walking Maddoxx. If I encounter a new person and get nervous about how he will react, well he usually is stand-offish and in my eyes misbehaved. Now I work on being as calm as possible and almost ignore the fact that I have my dog with me, and he is much better and even inquisitive, makes for a better introduction.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel love going to the vet.
Milly especially loves one of our vets, Mr. Johnson. When she is up on the table she gives him purple kisses under his chin. I mean, we don't even get that!! :shock:
It amuses him and it is lovely to see the hint of a smile on his face - he is very dour - an excellent vet but very rarely smiles.
There used to be a lady vet at our surgery called Mrs. Huddart and they both loved her and she loved them - she has since retired. They would even take a treat from her - never ever from anybody else, just her. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Kenzie is like that too, especially with males and vets.

She won't go to any male that is wearing a dark colors (navy, black, purple, green). On her second trip to the vet, he was wearing navy blue scrubs. So she wouldn't go to him, not for a treat, nothing. She went right to the vet tech and everyone else plus she had seemed to like the vet a couple weeks prior. He was like I'll be right back, I want to try something. So he came back in mint green scrubs, she looked at him for a few seconds and then ran up to smell him, retreated (walking backwards slowly), paused and then allowed him to do what he needed to do to her eye. He said a lot of dogs, especially certain breeds and/or shelter dogs that were mistreated, don't like dark colors on new or not quite trusted people.

Was Sam wearing dark colors that day?
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

well come to think of it he had a navy blue vest over the scrubs he had on...paul has his normal clothes on and sometimes a light blue shirt thingy....they do dress differently actually...im just amazed that he really didnt like him...we just took for granted that bear liked going to the vet..and he does but i guess now its just paul...no more sam...poor sam he asked was bear a friendly dog...we said ask paul..he will tell you..he never sits with his back to him hahah