New member with a question :)

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

New member with a question :)

Post by CinderThorne »

I have recently acquired a Chow Chow :) This is my first puppy in a long time. Before, I had an Akita, but due to old age he passed away last year. A long time friend of the family breeds Chows, and my mother kept them constantly as I grew up. I love the breed, but Im having difficulty in determining the future color that Bowie, my new baby, will be. This is him in all of his adorable glory.

Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New member with a question :)

Post by Desi »

Cinnamon at 7 weeks:

And now:
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

Oh!! They look very, very similar :) Bowie is barely 5 weeks, but the mother got hit by a car and died, and so i took him as soon as he was off of the bottle. But i think its safe to say that at 7 weeks, he should look about the same as your beautiful Cinnamon :)
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

I'd advice getting a female pup from the same litter if there are more,double the fun.My two grew up together .
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

There arent anymore. My mother and I got the last two. Plus, I have four cats. 5 animals is enough for me LOL.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Welcome and congrats on your new pup. I am curious why the breeder didn't identify the color for you? Also how old is the pup? He looks awfully young in those pics.
My guess would be red....but perhaps Cinnamon... :?:
http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/chowcolor.htm
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

Laura wrote:Welcome and congrats on your new pup. I am curious why the breeder didn't identify the color for you? Also how old is the pup? He looks awfully young in those pics.
My guess would be red....but perhaps Cinnamon... :?:
http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/chowcolor.htm

Hes five weeks. He was bottle fed for the last two weeks due to the mother being hit by a car :( And, the owner wasnt a breeder. Its a coworker that happened to have a male and a female chow....so he was too inexperienced to tell what color the pups would be. I got him for free, but i would have gladly paid something for him. Hes wonderful. Hes eating like a horse, sleeping through the night (mostly lol) and does his business outside 95% of the time.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I am by no means an expert, but he will be cinnie or a darker shade of red. I believe the correct terminology is Darling! Since he is so very tiny, you need to really treat him like a baby. I might even suggest you and mom keep yours together until at least 8 weeks. Too bad they don't have a nanny bitch, they really are not mentally deleloped enough to be alone. Try our search using development or such, the critical stages of overly young chowlings has been discussed several times. It could give you a leg up for these early weeks. Congratulations and good luck, and of course, welcome to the site.
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

Auddymay wrote:I am by no means an expert, but he will be cinnie or a darker shade of red. I believe the correct terminology is Darling! Since he is so very tiny, you need to really treat him like a baby. I might even suggest you and mom keep yours together until at least 8 weeks. Too bad they don't have a nanny bitch, they really are not mentally deleloped enough to be alone. Try our search using development or such, the critical stages of overly young chowlings has been discussed several times. It could give you a leg up for these early weeks. Congratulations and good luck, and of course, welcome to the site.
Thank you!

And yes, hes treated almost like a human baby. We carry him around with us everywhere we go, we sleep with him, get up in the night with him on the rare occasion that he wakes up and needs out when we are asleep. And, we are at my mothers almost everyday for a few hours, and the pups play together. Hes doing surprisingly well despite his age. He eats well, sleeps most of the time, and is finally getting into the "I want to chew on everything, even if its mom" stage LOL
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Welcome to cc.org! Your little guy is adorable! Whatever color he turns out to be, I think he'll be beautiful. I'm sorry that he lost his mom so early on. It sounds like you are doing a great job with him!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

CoraP. wrote:Welcome to cc.org! Your little guy is adorable! Whatever color he turns out to be, I think he'll be beautiful. I'm sorry that he lost his mom so early on. It sounds like you are doing a great job with him!
Thanks Cora :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Welcome! He's an adorable little guy. I agree with everyone else, either he'll be dark red or cinnamon. It's sad to hear that he lost him mom so early on.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Welcome. I vote red :D
ImageImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly at 6 weeks
and now
so I would suggest red or whatever colour Milly is considered to be. She and Mabel have "red" on their pedigrees. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Here's my Dreamdancer at 8 weeks

Here he is at 2.5 years, (he'll be 3 in July)

He's a very light cinnimon, I think yours will be a dark cinnimon.
The others have given you great advice and you should keep the sibs together as much as you can while they are this young; also as soon as they have finished their puppy shots you should get them into puppy classes so they can interact with other pups and learn correct behavior. Also don't allow him or his sib to chew on you, this is not acceptable even at his young age, because he will continue to do it as he gets older, he is at an age where normally he would be learning correct not to bite during play. What you want to do is say "ouch" in a high whine and then give him a time out for a minute or two, make sure that during this timeout you don't pay him any attention to him at all. Keep it short as he doesn't have a long enough memory to understand why he's being ignored after a moment or two, (he'll forget what happened) This is what he would have been learning from his mother and sibs at this stage at 8 weeks he should have a good idea of when not to bite, and this is what you would build his bite inhibtion on. ou're going to have work a little harder with him on bite inhibition and socialization and learning not to fear new things. Take him to as many places as you can. You're doing a good job, but you've taken on a very hard task, good thing is that it will only last a year or so.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Is there any way to tell light cinnamon or dark cinnamon or reds from each other as Chowlings or do you just have to wait and see???

Thanks Sweetpea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

vicster605 wrote:Is there any way to tell light cinnamon or dark cinnamon or reds from each other as Chowlings or do you just have to wait and see???
I think it takes and experienced eye to tell the difference Linda at Westtexas chow rescue pegged Dreamdancer as a light cinnamon early on, but then she and her husband are experts. :D
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
flyinzx11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyinzx11 »

He's a cutie for sure.

Try to make as much time right now to keep him with his littermate as possible. This is the time where they learn how hard to bite and not, by the siblings and parents. My advice is when he tries to chew/bite on you, make a high pitched squeal and pull you hand back. He will get it quicker than you think.

Mine are cream and black. The black is a mix, w/ border collie we think.
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

Just bumping the thread a bit to mention that Bowie has nearly doubled in size since the last pics posted. He is getting much fluffier, eats more, and sleeps less. Now that his vision is all clear, he can see the cats, and chases them around. Pics to come very soon. :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Nice to hear he is thriving. We love pica around here.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

That's great Bowie is doing so well! I can't wait to see more pictures!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

Ive posted new pictures of Bowie here.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=350
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Yes, Bowie is really growing and getting more alert. He is adorable! :D
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
CinderThorne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CinderThorne »

CoraP. wrote:Yes, Bowie is really growing and getting more alert. He is adorable! :D

Thank you :) Hes so much fun.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

He's such an adorable little guy. :D
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix