General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MoMo1224
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help me! I need some advice!

Post by MoMo1224 »

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here recently - been really busy with vet school but as some of you may remember, I adopted a 12 year old chow mix (Maleficent) last August. Well, later that month, when it was time for me to move back for school, my Dad told me that he had fallen in love with her and thinks that she's the dog for him (He hasn't had a dog since he was 18!) Since my household already has 5 cats and 2 dogs (Etta james and my BF's 13 year old Butch) I agreed to let him keep Maleficent. Well, on Thanksgiving my dad found her circling around in the backyard. She wasn't balanced and unable to stand very well. After taking her to the vet she was diagnosed with "Old dog vestibular disease". After a week, he assured me that she was back to her old self - which is common for ODVD. When I came back home for Christmas break I was cleaning and found some of Maleficent's paperwork. It turns out that the vet told my dad to keep her confined, on certain medications, flip her backlegs ever hour and schedule her a follow up appointment with her regular vet. My dad did NONE of this! :evil: I was livid! Thank God she recovered but I can't help but think of how quickly it would've been if he followed the vet's directions. Long story short, I took her back with me and she's been living with me and my BF for two months. Everything's going well. Maleficent's getting along great with Etta James, Butch and all the kitties. However, now my dad is calling saying he wants her back and he really misses her. He promises that he'll take better care of her. My BF thinks I should give him another chance but I'm worried that at Maleficent's age, one more mistake could cost her her life.

Advice, comments please. I'd appreciate anything.

Oh, and I included some pics of Maleficent these past couple months with her dog siblings.

Thank you Sweetpea :)
Zhuyos mom

Re: Help me! I need some advice!

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Block out all the other noise and trust yourself and what your heart and mind tells you and you will make the right decision about Maleficent's destiny. Sounds simplistic but sometimes that is what it takes.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

MoMo1224 wrote:After taking her to the vet she was diagnosed with "Old dog vestibular disease". After a week, he assured me that she was back to her old self - which is common for ODVD....It turns out that the vet told my dad to keep her confined, on certain medications, flip her backlegs ever hour and schedule her a follow up appointment with her regular vet.
"The primary factor distinguishing *geriatric* vestibular disease from other causes of peripheral vestibular disease in dogs is the acute onset and rapid improvement without specific treatment."

MoMo1224 wrote:Thank God she recovered but I can't help but think of how quickly it would've been if he followed the vet's directions.
Probably the same.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

That's a hard one... I myself would keep her and not trust him to take proper care of her. He can come visit, but not be responsible for her well being again.
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

My Bear had that disease. The vet called it " Old Dog Rolling Disease". It seems to be something old dogs can get through no fault of anyone and there is no medicine to cure it. She will be alright , as my Bear was. They are sometimes left with a tilt to the head, but it may go away. It's not caused by someone not doing what is right for the animal. Old age can sometimes catch up. You get really upset, but it can be fairly benign. Take care!/color]
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It sounds as though you are far enough away that you cannot check on her. So, your reticence is understandable. Before you say no outright, have a frank conversation with your father as to why he did not follow the vet's instructions. I have no doubt that you have made your position on what he did was wrong, and why. In his mind, he may regard Maleficent as in her remaining days, and any effort to stave off death is just profilactic. It will be hard, but try and let him do the talking as to the proper way to care for her. His answers will tell you if you can trust her back with him, or if you can trust him to change his view regarding the treatment of geriatic pets.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hard one!!! I would have to agree with Auddymay and Zhuyos mom on this one.....do what Auddymay said and THEN Zhuyos Mom. You have to do what is best for the Maleficent and you will know what your heart tells you to do after a long talk with Dad.

Thanks Sweetpea!
MoMo1224
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MoMo1224 »

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really really appreciate it. I'm still doing some thinking and I love all the comments everyone gave. Thanks again :)

Thank you Sweetpea :)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

MoMo1224 wrote:Thank you everyone for your advice. I really really appreciate it. I'm still doing some thinking and I love all the comments everyone gave. Thanks again :)
Best wishes to you and your father : )

Excerpt:
Vestibular Disease
Michael Knoeckel, DVM DACVIM (Neurology) "Vestibular disease is an often seen disorder in small animal practice...If it is associated with idiopathic, or geriatric vestibular disease, (which causes signs of peripheral disease) it doesn't require any specific treatment at all and has a good prognosis for resolution of the vestibular signs."
animallover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by animallover »

Wow you are such a loving person, to love your pet enough to be so protective, and to love your father enough that you would want to give him the benefit of the doubt here. What a difficult situation you are in. So you have the opportunity to do something wonderful for both perhaps. How about protecting the pooch by keeping that dog with you, due to the "special needs". And then getting dad a dog that would better suit him. One that he could nurture and love, without the stress of caring for a dog with a demanding health condition? Your dad has love to give too. Perhaps he could just care for a different dog; there are so many out there needing people to care for them. -Joyce