two spaded females

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

two spaded females

Post by bubbybear »

I was just curious about how you guys felt about having two spaded females in the same house. I had my chow chow Sheba and her sister Gizzy was a huskie/shepard. we had no issues. THen when Sheba passed on we adopted a Lakia named Mia. still no trouble. Have I been lucky. People say you shoulden't have two females togetther.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: two spaded females

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I think it just depends on the dogs. I had 2 males and no problems. Now I have a male/female and a female foster. No problems with the females-they love each other.
ImageImageImage
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

I have 2 females and we have occasional problems but not to the point where I would consider giving up one of them.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have 2 females. The older one is passive, but even so, my younger one occassionally lights into her. You have been lucky, to a degree. As someone pointed out, the animal's personality has alot to do with it. Do you prefer females, or his it just worked out that way?
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I prefer females over males and I currently have four living here (down from five, my old gal Kylee died last April). I don't have any problems with having females together - I truly believe it's 95% in how you deal with the dogs. You have to set boundaries, provide a good/fair/kind/firm leadership and not accept any bitchiness. Mine interact great and live together in the house. I've had occasional times when two have bickered but nothing serious for many years now (only once, more than a decade ago, did I have a fight that resulted in a vet visit).

By the way, at this time I have two spayed bitches and two intact bitches - both intact girls were in heat at the same time this past month and even then they got along. I did notice an increase in the roughness of their play (they love to tumble around, chewing on each other) and Khana got more vocal, and tried humping Tazer (something that she's NEVER done in all of her four years! *L*). But I just told her to knock it off, they did fine and now they're both out of heat and right back to their old selves. Time to schedule a spay appointment for at least one of them ..

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

My families two female chows live in harmony and until January, there was also a female collie in the mix. I have never seen a cross word pass between any of them except for a two week period years ago when my collie was on arthritis medication that did not agree with her. They are not best buddies, but that is just Tess's personality...she does not have buddies, she has housemates. They eat side by side, sleep in the same room, both will play with me at the same time, just not with each other (this become very difficult on my part). I really have no issues with two of the same *Censored Word* together, the owner just needs to be prepared to set rules and boundaries very early on and stick with them...and there are always exceptions.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My two Milly and Mabel are litter sisters who were 8 last September. They are both spayed and they have never so much as growled at each other. However, we were warned not to get Mabel - we bought Milly first - but ignored the advice. I think it is very much a matter of the bitches own temperaments.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

How old are your two females??? I have two females and they were fine together ate together, slept together, played together until puberty when all hell broke loose. I don't want anyone to think that 2 same *Censored Word* Chow's getting along is the rule rather than the exception. If you have ever had 2 same *Censored Word* Chows that get along you are very LUCKY. For those of us that have had female on female aggression or male on male aggression it is a hell we wouldn't wish on anyone. There are EXCEPTIONS such as in Judy's case with liter mate sisters who do great, There is Melanie who has a number of females that get along great and the others that posted....... BUT like I said before and I'll say it again.......for those of us who have experienced this issue if the WRONG TWO SAME *Censored Word* Chow's by this I mean Alpha personalities SOMETIMES( it isn't the owners fault) but just the WRONG TWO that may NEVER get along without trying to kill each other......in our case it isn't a risk worth taking.
For all who have posted that they have females that get along there is also me with Kearra & Kyra, Dogdad with Yoshi & Maxwell, Linda with hers, Laura with the males she had that fought and a few others who would never say so on the site who have pm'd me SO there are just as many who have had issues.

Anytime you get two females or two males you are taking a chance that at puberty they could turn on each other
For those of us who have experienced this.....we probably will NEVER do this again....you saw Dogdad just got a female this time, Laura has a male & female, Linda....I'm pretty sure she is with me and when we ever have to make that decision again we will have one Chow or opposite *Censored Word* just to keep from taking a chance
Good Luck if yours get along you are the EXCEPTION and not the RULE

Thanks Sweetpea!