Marrow Bones

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Marrow Bones

Post by atphiladelphia »

How do you all feel about Marrow bones? THey have been a HUGE help with chewing and our chows seem to love them. However last week i gave both of my dogs a bone or two more than ususal...both of my chows got diarrhea. I am wondering if too much marrow can cause this or fragments of the bones did this. (Or it could have been something else entirely, but this was the only constant between the two of them.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!!

Ashley.....Tucker & Penny
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Marrow Bones

Post by Mia »

It seems that bones often cause dogs to upchuck and get diarrehea. Don't know why. But, you can give them nylabones or raindeer horns to chew on. That doesn't seem to bother them and fits the chewing needs.
Mia
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Mia wrote:It seems that bones often cause dogs to upchuck and get diarrehea. Don't know why. But, you can give them nylabones or raindeer horns to chew on. That doesn't seem to bother them and fits the chewing needs.

My chows eat raw bones every day and don't suffer from diarrehea or vomitting.

Anyway, as I understand it Marrow bones are fine in moderation. The marrow itself is rich, so a steady diet can produce the runs and foul gas. Also, depending on the size of the bone – eg a full sized knuckle bone on a leg bone of a large animal (beef), the bone is quite dense and can chip, split or break teeth.

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Where do you find bones like this??? Too Funny, I went to every grocery store and butcher in our area and the meat people looked at me like I fell off a turnip truck or something because I was looking for marrow bones LOL BONES WE DON'T HAVE BONES ANYMORE :shock: Of course I'm thinking "you have meat"!!! WHY WOULDN'T YOU HAVE BONES???? Guess I must of missed something somewhere.......they must cut the meat down to remove the bones SOMEWHERE ELSE #-o Hey that makes alot of sense :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was told at my local supermarket that they used to sell dog bones, but had to quit because people were buying them for human consumption. They weren't exactly sterile so people would get sick.
atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atphiladelphia »

our butcher and local grocery store carry them...Te ones from the butcher are fresh cut and really nice. THe last batch from the grocery store were a little more brown...i wonder if they were not fresh and that is why the dogs ran into some issues with it...I am not sure.
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It could also be how long the bone has been laying around or laying out in the sun, Bad bone, bad meat = diarrhea
I give Pekoe a beef rib bone every once in awhile done or not the bone is in the trash when she leaves it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Marrow is very rich and can cause stomach upset in some dogs. When I give one to my small dogs I often scoop out a bit of marrow first. It scoops out easily with a spoon
Chloe's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chloe's Mom »

All three of the supermarkets in my small city carry marrow bones. One keeps them in the frozen meats section the other two where they sell organ meats. Here they are usually packaged in groups of four. Chloe gets one on Saturday and I freeze the rest. Despite her protestations, it gets tossed before the end of the day. If she has more than one in a day she'll have very loose stools and since her way of letting me know she has to go out is to sit in front of the door and stare at it (and her telepathic skills are less than stellar when I'm sleeping), I limit her to just the one.
Chloe says "Yes it is all about me."