Getting to know someone in chow time

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Getting to know someone in chow time

Post by mrstu »

Sophia and Maggie are getting groomed on Saturday by a mobile groomer. They are quite expensive but we want to be able to see the girls, watch what is being done, etc and they really really really really need it badly so the expense is worth it right now. When I called, I asked how they would do a chow chow since typically they need a little bit to warm up to someone before being touched. They told me that their person was really good, etc but I said how would they do a chow chow. I scheduled for Saturday so my husband can be home with me and the girls. I asked them if they would muzzle Sophia and they were reluctant but agreed to. Sophia is really so sweet and once she know someone will really become quite lovable but she needs her chow time. Even with that, I am not sure how she would be with someone touching her so intimately beside me. Even with me even after all this time, my little petite Sophia will not roll over for a belly rub, she has never rolled over EVER -- I am thinking that maybe her previous owner used to roll her for obedience because she will not let us see her belly. I can touch it and she will open her legs while sitting up or laying on her side (kind of but not really) but will not really roll.

I plan on being in the van with her while she is groomed, any thoughts on grooming her with a muzzle on? I know it is not pleasant but even when i mentioned to the vet, she thought a good idea and she takes care of Sophia. She has so much undercoat and she really needs the grooming so I am not sure what to do. I know she will be much more comfortable. The newfie will just think,..... more to play with!

Appreciate your thoughts on this..
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Getting to know someone in chow time

Post by Mia »

It probably does make sense - even though you probably hate the idea of using it. If the groomer has to get some big knots it might be safer, just to make sure she doesn't snap at him.

Maybe in the beginning, you can hold her and get her used to the groomer while he's getting started. Having you there will probably help her a lot. Your being there will get her used to the idea that the groomer is ok and not going to hurt her. When the groomer starts, if both of you are touching her, she may get used to the idea of letting someone else touch her "intimately" since it's ok with you.
Mia
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

has she ever snapped at the vet or anyone? I hate the idea of a muzzle but at my vets, when drawing blood Yoshi snapped at the vet. He was quite angry. They muzzled him and I understand why, sometimes it is for the protection of both the vet ( groomer) and also the dog, if the dog does damage, he/she could get destroyed for being a danger. They don't look at the situation, just the attack

David
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I always make sure the groomer is comfortable with using a muzzle on Buddha. He's a fear biter, and I'd rather have my baby muzzled for a little bit than have to put him to sleep and have a huge lawsuit on my hands. I hate to muzzle him, but I feel that I'm protecting him as much as I am the groomer.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

How a Chow reacts to a groomer or vet is all up to the groomer or vet, Pekoe is an extreme untouchable no one touches her but I've been to enough of them to be able to pick the chosen few. The groomer wants her muzzled, the vet doesn't want her muzzled but both are experienced enough with Chows that pekoe tolerates them. I use a mobile groomer if the person knows what they are doing you shouldn't have any trouble. Its along time between Pekoes groomings so when she does see the groomer she is a mess. The mobile groomer I use says she doesn't believe in shaving or cutting a Chows coat so all she uses is a blower and a brush all that undercoat and dead hair comes off like a mat once she starts the blower it looks like it just peels off. Its really a hassle getting her groomed so when it does finely get done we can fill two large trash cans with fur and every house in the neighborhood has traces of black fur on their lawns 3 blocks away. When Pekoe gets groomed the whole city knows it, they have to call out city maintenance to clean up all the black fur all over town. Once the blower starts there is a black cloud over the City with people running through the streets yelling Pekoe is getting groomed run for cover air pollution is at it highest.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Has she worn a muzzle before and do you have one that is comfortable for her?

The vet muzzled both Boogie and Fozzie the last times they went in. Neither one liked them but Fozzie completely flipped out and scratched up his face trying to get it off using his paw. He was thrashing all over. The last time we saw a different vet at the same practice and she brought out a "cage" muzzle. This one worked so much better. They can still open their mouths but there is a cage over the end so they can't get you with their teeth. This looked so much more comfortable to me and the chows seemed to do better with it as well. I am thinking about buying one of my own so that when I take them in they can always have this kind instead of the tight one that keeps their mouths almost completely shut.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Another thing to consider with a muzzle is buy a new one thats thiers, they don't like wearing muzzles as it is but havng to smell another dog on it makes it worse so if you have to use a muzzle take them down to pet-smart and fit them for thier own. Just incase it turns out like a Pekoe fitting make sure to bring plenty of band aids and tissue to clean the blood off your arms and hands, the Store will take care of mopping the blood off the floor.

Like the last post said the one with the cage on it so they can open thier mouths is the best one, Pekoe has had Towels, rags and nylons used to muzzle her but buying one that didn't stink from other dogs did help alittle.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Hi...I use the Proguard Softie Muzzle on both Sheena and Troy when they get out of hand at the doggie wash. the owner of the doggie wash ordered it for me with his other supplies so I got it at a good discount. Here's a website that has it on sale...I use the green large sized one http://www.doglikenature.com/store/ Then add the following directly after the address - item/16012.Softie.Muzzle

Jeff's right...it's best for them to have their own muzzle.

This muzzle can slip off when Troy or Sheena are especially onry,so I hook the strap around their collar before I snap it shut.

The muzzle gives plenty of breathing room and my chows haven't had any hyperventilation problems at all...even after a full hour or more of wearing it while being groomed! Troy also has a pica problem so I put it on when he goes out alone in the yard to do his business...luckily he'll rush right back into the house immediately after he's finished 'cause Troy knows I will remove the muzzle.

Enjoy the grooming!
Jennifer & Sheena
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

I just want to make sure that I do not put Sophia in a situation where she feels like she has to bite so I am good with the muzzle... when I called around to find a mobile groomer, one of them said that if the dog bites, they will report it. I do not want to put Sophia in that situation so I will have her muzzled and I will be out there with her. She does really well at the vet with the muzzle, lets my husband slip it right on her with no problem. She does need grooming, she lets me get little bits of her but not what she really needs. The newfie needs it just as bad as well. So the girls are going to the beauty parlor tomorrow. I will take pictures and post when they are all clean and shiney!
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Patti,I just saw this and know that I'm late but Kai is my first Chow that needs a muzzle at the vet.
I don't mind at all because hes a fear biter and we love our vet and don't want her to get bit.
and as far as grooming goes,I have to wash,dry and brush Kai .he won't let anyone touch him when we get to the vet or the groomer.
our groomer has always done my Chows,so she does Chyna and I do Kai at her shop.
and I just wanted to mention about belly rubs,I've had Chyna since she was 10 weeks old and she has never,ever wanted a belly rub.
thats a first because all my other Chows loved them.
hope yesterday went well with the girls and they are beautiful and clean today :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

As a groomer, I don't like the idea of grooming a dog with a muzzle on unless they need it. If they don't show aggression for anything, I'd rather not use them. I don't want to make the experience anymore scary then it is all ready. By muzzling them from the beginning, it is just telling them that there is something to be afraid of.

The groomer just needs to go slow with her. A good groomer should be able to read a dog's body language, even a Chow's. If they are unsure of a dog, they shouldn't let the dog know in anyway or they will act accordingly. By watching the way a dog reacts to certain things, they will know if they need to use a muzzle.

I hope things go well, but I advise against a muzzle unless its needed. I have tons of people say I won't even be able to touch their dog or do the nails or whatever. When they pick the dog up, they are amazed that I had no or little problems. I once had an old American Eskimo. Mom said she didn't think I would be able to do anything with her. Mom stayed with her while I got her ready for a bath. I bathed her and dried her and mom never had to come back in to help. The dog never attempted to bite or nip. She just stood there. Mom couldn't believe it and was so happy. Sometimes owners need to have more faith in their dogs. This is just one of many cases like that.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

The groomer we took Buddha to was very good at reading him, and she did really well with him. She knew he only got upset when she tried to cut his nails or touch his feet, eventually we decided she didn't need to deal with his feet, and she had no problems. I ended up stopping taking him to her because I've seen her partner hit dogs, and my friend takes her dog to them and she's seen the girl that did my dog hit dogs. Buddha used to love going to her, and then all of the sudden refused to go back with her, so we take him somewhere else now.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!