Best way to remove eye gunk

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Nico732
Rank 0
Rank 0

Best way to remove eye gunk

Post by Nico732 »

My Chow puppy has some eye gunk/tear stains. She was at the Vet yesterday for a check up and they said she isn't sick or anything she just has a lot of eye gunk. What is the safest, best way to wipe them away. I just want to stay on top of it so it doesn't build up., Thank you
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Best way to remove eye gunk

Post by lola chow »

hi there i bathe my pups eyes as often as i can with warm water i dont know what else to suggest your pup is lovely sooooo cute :D :D :D
Chowmia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowmia »

I'm with Lola Chow. One of mine has a lot of the eye gunk. Once or twice a day I moisten a cotten ball or a paper towel with warm water and wipe. Then dry. Voila! No more gunk. At least until next time! :lol:
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

McKenzie's vet has us use plain saline and a new gauz pad for each wipe.

It started a week or so before her entropian surgery, during her recovery and now I still do it every night. We have really hard water here and her vet was a tad worried about using warm water during her recovery. Now it's routine and she knows exactly what the bottle is for.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I just take a face flannel and warm water and bathe M & M's eyes very gently to keep it down. They automatically close their eyes so all I get to bathe is the part around their eye and the closed eylid so done gently, all the gunk is cleared away.

However, I have their face flannels in the bathroom and Milly and Mabel, who are now 8 yrs old know this so they go into the bathroom and if they can, they pull one of our flannels down, put it on the floor and rub their own faces on it. So, the rule in our house is, if there is a flannel or towel on the floor it goes into the washing machine.

I love them dearly, but I really do not wish to wash my face and find some of their "sleepy-men" on my face!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Calift
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calift »

I use a warm paper towel and water. I think my dog likes it too, she always rubs her head into my hand and helps clean it off... /:) :lol:
Image <3
Nico732
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nico732 »

Ok Great! I just used a gauze with warm water and wiped her eyes. I'll just have to be on top of things so I can prevent another messy build up. Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Wiping the eyes....... I have done....A LOT!!!!
Poor little Colonel has allergies, lots of allergies....he's such a pedigree! uhhhrummp!! I've always used a cotton washcloth, but I really like the disposable gauze idea, especially the ones that come in little squares. This is more sanitary, moisten, wipe and throw away!
I hadn't thought of using gauze squares, but it's great!! Thanks!

The thing I would avoid is paper towels or any other paper product. Paper is made from wood pulp and it can break down,
becoming trapped in the eye, scratching the eyeball.
Also, being careful to wipe the inside corners toward the nose, avoiding contamination to the rest of the eyeball. As far as
the outside corners, wipe them toward the ears, again avoiding contamination to the rest of the eyeball.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I had a lot of experience with my skin kid for eye gunk removal - she had a blocked tear drop and I sed to have to squish the gunk out of her eye then wipe - eurgh!

So using a clean cotton ball for each eye and cool boiled water I would wipe from inside corner out. When Henry has a mucky eye, I do the same for him.
Thank you Sweatpea
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Bella had tear stains too when she was small we got some small qtip type things from the local pet place and they have a solution inside it worked wonderfully we used to use it once or twice a day for a few weeks and then they were gone in no time, and because they are so small on the tips you can clean all the way to the eye without bothering them too much. Cant remember the brand name of them but i think you can get them in alot of places

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

a warm wet wash cloth works good ..do it EVERY DAY [as required] .. i am sad to report my boywho,came down from polluted denver ,, had less. got some kinda eye thing and really started generating eyes gunk,, on his last vet visit his eye was so red,, so cloudy ,i fear he goes blind in one eye.. , vet gave 2 kinds a cream/drops . atropine and i forget what,, ..

he hated getting the stuff in his eyes ,, for the first day ,, now he wags tail for the treatment.. sure must make him feel better ,, chows sure are smart..

m
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear! So sorry Michael but you never know, the vet's treatment might stop it.

Give Gwrol a hug from me and tell him M & M send purple kisses. :D

Image Image
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

I am an expert eye gook remover.... LOL... I use my fingers to clean the girls eyes several times a day. Normally it is not really gooey so it comes right off. I always joke with them when they are getting ready to go outside and they are waiting for their lead, I say " you know the rule, you have to have a clean eye to go out..". We have also had issues where their eyes looked more than the normal gooky. We have eye ointment for when they gook gets looking like infection.. the newfie puppy had that in the summer from putting her head out the sunroof in the car. Her eyes were very irritated. Also, Sophia just had a cold that I had to take her to the vet for and during that time, her eyes looked all gooked up so she got eye ointment prescribed as well.
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...