when do chows stp growing

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

when do chows stp growing

Post by Dogdad »

Does anyone know when chows stop growing. Someone commented that they think Maxine will grow. We think she is around 2. After Maxwell I have come to love big dogs, Yoshi is much smaller than Maxwell but at least 50 pounds, Maxine is 35. Also do you think the size difference will be a factor in how they get along

David
Auddymay

Re: when do chows stp growing

Post by Auddymay »

Lily is 33 pounds, and has been so since she was 10 months old. She gained a pound once but lost it again. She may gain some weight, but I don't think she will grow bigger, persay. I think she will be like Lily, in that her little furnace is burning more fuel due to higher activity levels...lol. It does not matter, you will fret like I do, I am sure! Just no way around it, when you expect and are used to bigger Chows.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks everyone, I kind of thought that but wasn't sure.
David
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

As I said in the Maxine post:

I adopted almost 4 year old Cheyenne at 44 lbs. Today, 3 years later, she wighs in about 61lbs
Yes, she was abused, frightened and miserable and now she is the HAPPIEST "little girl!"

I think that Maxine will gain some when she finds security and love. And when she starts he walkie regimine...she will also gain in muscle.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I think Maxine will put on some weight when she gets to you, David. She may be gaining some already! Molly put on about 7 pounds after we got her. I like the dainty chowgirls. they are all beautiful and I'm sure you'll love Maxine the way she is.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

No the size difference has NOTHING to do with how they get along.....Kearra only weighs 35#'s and she thinks she is bigger than Kyra so NOPE. My best friend has a Chiwawwwa sp and her Mother has a Great Dane....the Chiwawwwwa is the boss and eats out of the Danes bowl and the Dane waits IN HER OWN HOUSE.....funniest thing I have ever seen :lol: Kyra starts arguments here and she weighs 68#'s and Kearra will try and finish it
I think Maxine looks thin....she will probably put on some weight and muscle tone but she won't get any bigger, shes the size shes gonna be. You will adore her and they snuggle just as good as the bigger ones :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Med-Large breed dogs are done growing at 1 yr old. They will fill out for a few months after that. If she is around 2, she is as big as she'll get. She's just going to be a petite little girl. Only giant breeds continue growing after the age of 1 yr. Small breeds are done at around 6 months.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I don't know. This will sound weird but i swear Fozzie has grown since we got him a year ago and he is a senior. When we picked him up to foster the rescue people thought because he was so small he may have been a mix with pomeranian. Well he is now my biggest chow. He is taller, longer and weighs more than Boogie and Teddie. I know he needed to gain weight but it was like the weight made him taller and longer too. Who knows, I told you it would sound weird. /:)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

umm, it really depends on how well she's been fed up until now. Firesong was a year old when I got her, about 35lbs and about 16.5 inches at the shoulder. She is now still 35lbs BUT nearly 20" at the shoulder. I didn't notice this really until I got Dreamdancer and realized that he was in a larger carrier than the one she came in and that she couldn't fit in it! Dreamdancer will be 3 in July and I've noticed the slight increase in height and chest depth within the past year. He's nearly 21" tall though he weighs only about 40lbs, (I'm the only person in the US who doesn't have a Whippet or Greyhound who has skinny dogs!)

At 2 most females should be at their finished height, but chest mass and muscle mass may well increase with proper care and feeding. (and she may well become a bit taller if she didn't reach her potential before) Oh and it won't make a difference at all in how she interacts with Yoshi, the females think they can boss the boys around and since the boys let them...you'll crack up when she tries to drag Yoshi across the floor.

Personally I think most of the statistics about how they grow are taken from chows that are raised by breeders where everything is measured and from conception to maturity they are well nourished. I would like to see people keep stats on rescuses and if they grow or not after finding forever homes. Darkwind was supposedly 2 when I got him and he added 13lbs, and 5 inches to his neck size, and about 3 to his chest.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thank you everyone, The Yoshi monster filled out quite a bit after I got him and his coat became thicker. I hope the same will happen to Maxine too

David
Chowmia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowmia »

I know that the girls tend to get a larger coat after spaying. In my Mia's case, she has a MUCH larger coat after she was spayed 1 year ago. She has so much coat she is almost lost in it! :lol: Oh Boy, can't wait till shedding season!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie seemed to finish growing about 18months old. Alf is 18months now & not finished IMO He is still slowly adding height & alot of muscle bulk.
Thank you Elodie!
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

So, I have a question, what percent of body weight do you think Maxine is now that she will be when she is full grown? 80%?
And also, I got worried reading this post because my little boy (not so little any more) Cue is right now over 50 pounds, he's just 5 1/2 months, what a beast he is, I mean, how big could my child get?
Natasha
and
Cue
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxine is done growing but she is only 32.9 pounds, she is all skin and bones, she doesn't seem to have the chow undercoat, but I do want to fatten her up a bit

David
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

mikkabear wrote:So, I have a question, what percent of body weight do you think Maxine is now that she will be when she is full grown? 80%?
And also, I got worried reading this post because my little boy (not so little any more) Cue is right now over 50 pounds, he's just 5 1/2 months, what a beast he is, I mean, how big could my child get?
The normal growth rate for a chow boy is that by 6 months they are approximately at 80% of their adult weight. (if properly fed from young puppy hood as Cue was) so going by that if he's at 56lbs at 6 months he'll be about 70lbs, if he's at 60, he'll weight about 75lbs and if he makes 60lbs by 6 months he'll be a big 80lb boy...and remember the boys grow slower, so you may not see that complete weight until he's 2.5 to 3 years old. So yeah you're going to have a big boy on your hands, :D
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

My "little" :lol: Foz-Bear is just 10-1/2 months old. I took him to the vet on February 7th to get him weighed and check for potential entropian. (No entropian, Julia!) He weighs 69.8 pounds!!! Monster Chow!
He appears to be a big boned boy and built like a tank.
I have to assume then, that when he fully matures at 2-3 years old, he could easily reach close to 80 pounds. I don't think I've ever seen a purebred Chow that big, but I LOVE a big Chow (Wally was 3/4 Chow and 1/4 Golden Retriever and weighed 82 pounds in his prime). You know the old saying...more to love!
He's doing so well and is the best boy. Such a gift after losing Wally and Berks last year!
David...I'm sure that Maxine will put on plenty of pounds in your care. It takes good food, care and loving that Chow to pieces....
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I think I said this in other posts, but Bear was about 5 years old when I adopted him and he weighed 54 pounds. He's been weighing about 85 pounds for the past few years. He also got a lot taller than when I first brought him home. He used to fit in a recliner, but those days are gone. :roll:
Ping was about 7 months old when I brought her home and she was tiny. She now weighs between 55 and 60 pounds and is all muscle. I swear some days she has some Jack Russell terrier in her because she's always bouncing around.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Teddy was somewhere between three and five years old, shaved to the skin, and just over 50lbs when he came to me. Now he weighs in at at 77lbs, has more muscle mass and no extra fat, and a gorgeous full shaded red coat.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

It depends on how you define, "Grow"? Jonathan summed it up pretty well. So, I just want to add
one thing to that....
Just like we humans continue to grow as we age; middle age spread....LOL !! Dogs will too!
Just as humans seem to continue the spread, until we get really old, then we shrink....dogs can do the same.
My daughter's 16 year old Shih Tzu, named Madi, is in the shrinking stage of her life.
The middle age spread on a furkid begins at about 3 and can go until they begin their senior shrinkage!
That's life.
Maxine has room to grow. From what I can see, she will fill out in her body, face, neck, and legs.
Give her a bit of time!
Have fun plumping her up!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!