Want to get another Chow..Need Advice

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ac13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Want to get another Chow..Need Advice

Post by ac13 »

Hey everyone. Its been a while since I posted. Im at a cross road here and need some sound advice. I have an 11 month old Chow now. He is a great dog. Very playfull and great with my kids. Because he is so good my sons want to get another one. I have a fenced in yard thats about 3/4 of an acre so the space is not the main issue. Im just a little concerned that the personality of my dog now may change due to the new addition.I notcied that many of you have more than one dog and I just need some input as to what you think.

Thanks
AC
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Want to get another Chow..Need Advice

Post by Dogdad »

If you do get another chow, make sure it is the opposite *Censored Word*. I have 4 dogs had up to 6 dogs at one time.. They do tend to act like a pack with that number, social but also have their own social order. Things will change, it has too another personality in the mix. 2 dpgs should remain playful with eachother and with the family. I personally always liked to have 2 to keep the other one entertained when the hoomans weren't around. A lone dog, can be very lonely when the kids are off to school and the parents are away at work

David
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I agree with David, if you are going to get another chow then I would make sure it's the opposite *Censored Word* from the one you have now. I am dealing with some issues regarding same *Censored Word* chows/dogs and let me tell you it's NOT fun! They are usually fine up until they reach maturity (anywhere from 6mos to 2yrs) and then they have to have a dominant one, the males are not near as bad as the females, the females will try to fight until the death but the males are much easier seperated when they fight but regaradless it's still not something I would suggest to anyone.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Did you socialize your Chow with other dogs??? How does he act around them??? And I also agree with David & Julia get the opposite *Censored Word* if you get another one. 11 mos is still very young and if he loves other dogs he will probably love some company

Thanks Sweetpea!
ac13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ac13 »

Thank you all for some great and helpful feed back. He has ben around other dogs but only for a short period of time. My wives biggest concern , and this may sound funny, is that he is extremely affecionate and that may change. Whenever you ask him for a hug and kiss he puts his paws on your shoulders and opens his mouth over your mouth as if he is going to swollow you. Its really funny.She is just afraid that all this will change if he has what she calls "competition". Your views?
AC
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Yep yep only get a female! I would definitely take your guy for a meet and greet to make sure they get along before bringing a new dog in. Whether it is pup or adult I would arrange to have them meet outside of your home...at the park or somewhere and then bring them home together the first day as well.
As far as changing personalities I wouldn't expect that at all. My two are only 3 mos apart in age but when I brought Chloe in Shug was all about her and she him and I did feel like a 3rd wheel for a bit but then it all mellowed and his personality never changed...he was just a pup with a live playmate that was more fun then me :lol: . He is still my total love bug! If you do bring in a pup I would expect her to gravitate towards your guy so you may want to spend some alone timing bonding and socializing just with the newcomer. Chloe was ALL about Shug when we got her so I had to work a little harder to bond with her. Plus she is a bit of a snooty pants anyway. :roll:
I wouldn't worry about your guys personality changing but you do want to concern yourself with whether or not he will be accepting of a new dog in the home and also give it some adjustment time.
BTW...two is twice the love, laughter and joy!!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Yes, I think so, too. Two is great!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand