daisys results

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

daisys results

Post by kez65 »

hi its been 2 days of worrying about this dog, she has numerous problems but the worst one is a poly something,its a uterus infection apparantly and what it boils down to she has to be desexed asap.But her blood tests results show her liver isnt functioning properly.She also had grass seeds all through her coat and in her feet.one pad on her foot is torn to bits from her chewing it,Shes very aggressive at the moment.We took her to our vet and he knows the history of bear and now daisy.
The thing is this surgery is expensive not to mention the rest of her probs ,we just spent a fortune on bear so the vet told us to think over night and come to a desision tomorrow, The choices we have are give her to the rspca as a lost/found dog...they will fix her up and get her hopefully on the mend...if her liver problem isnt a serious one (that will take a day or so to get results)
The vet is furious about her condition, i remember the owners telling m,e when we seen bear at their house that they couldnt get bear and daisy to mate......and now we know why.poor daisy ,the vet said shes been like this awhile.Anyway the lady that found daisy wants to keep her..living up the road probably isnt such a good idea and she doesnt have the money theyre going to need. So as of tomorrow after we talk to the vet i think the rspca will end up with daisy. I dont trust them though.....i should but i hope they dont think shes too hard to deal with and put her to sleep....poor baby she was vomiting and shaking and growling all at the same time, she was snarling and she looked like a totally different dog ....the vet said another week and outside in this heat she couldve died.So dog number 2...ill treated or not???? you decide
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: daisys results

Post by fillyok »

Poor Daisy!! I'm guessing you mean pyometra and it's very serious. She may not make it even if she does get help from the RSPCA. We lost two Chows on the board last year to pyometra.
Last edited by fillyok on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

poor daisy, hopefully with decent food and care she will rally and beable to recover
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

that poor girl.I'm happy that she will be getting some help soon.she sounds very sick.
I do hope that she will recover and find a home.
thaks for the update and please keep us posted.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

The poor girl. Yes, the uterine infection is very serious. Daisy is probably acting aggressive because she is in so much pain, but I worry too that the rspca will put her down. It makes me very angry that these people let both of them get in the condition they were/are in and did nothing about it. I hope and pray the rspca will be able to help her. Thanks for the update, and keep us posted!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

I may be remembering incorrectly here but wasn't it the RSPCA that said both dogs were just fine back in hell as long as they had water available and that there was nothing they could do? I think Daisy is a perfect example of how they need to reassess how to determine if a dog is being mistreated/neglected or not.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

To me this brings up an ethical question regarding how you proceed with medical care when it seems as if the dog is going to suffer even longer. She has been through so much. Is there any kind of long term prognosis even if she manages to survive this? Is this a case where putting her out of her suffering is the more humane thing to do? I'm not trying to start a fight and I don't even know how I feel about this. I'm just asking a question that I think needs to be asked at a certain point.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I've been thinking the same thing...
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I disagree, as long as she is breathing and walking the last thing anyone should be thinking is putting her down that should be left to the Vet if he thinks she can be treated then the humane thing to do is try to give her a life she never had even if it is only for a short while, at least let her live long enough she dies knowing love.. Some good food and some caring people can do wonders. Who are we to say she should live or not I'm sure if you ask the Chow she would want to live no matter how bad her life was.

Euthanizing is a medical term meaning, We can't be bothered.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Hopefully, you can discuss Daisy with the rspca and tell them her behavior is probably because of her bad condition. She needs surgery right away. Pyrometria is so serious. To think those idiots where trying to get those 2 Chows to mate.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

the vet did suggest putting daisy to sleep.He said lets get all the results back and take it from there. He is pretty pissed with the rspca and intends to take it further. Hes been very good hes allowed us to pay him off the money and denise(the lady that found daisy) shes paying half. i rand this morning and she had a peaceful night , she was heavily medicated .the results are due back late morning here which is in a couple of hours.Ive fallen in love with her too.Im so happy we got bear out when we did,hes the lucky one. The vet said that he will tell the council that these people owned daisy and she wasnt registered or micro chipped which are huge fines here.And then report them for neglect.They cant deny owning daisy because we seen her at their house and we will make a statement. I hope they throw the book at these people...just gotta get thru today....Jeff if daisy does go to sleep it will be on the vets opinion.I just dont want to see her in pain...i remember seeing her for the first tiime and she looked unhappy then but was very quiet, no wonder she was just sitting there she was in pain....well ill keep you posted ..if anyone deserves to get thru this..its daisy oh and by the way shes probably just under 2 years...she doesnt have the eye problem so i guess thats one good thing....
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thanks so much for the update. I hope Daisy pulls through. She's SO young. It breaks my heart. :(
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

Daisy had surgery this afternoon,so far shes hanging in there. We dont like her chances ,shes been through alot and is in very poor condition.Denise wants to keep daisy and i cant talk her out of it.She doesnt care that the owners/animals live up the road ,Try and take her ...was her response...i think we can do this.Denise is a very loving woman she doesnt know alot but as she told us today what more does daisy want...love and caring is all she can offer and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to do that. I told her about this board and the nice people here and shes looking forward to becoming a member,but lets get through this next few days..paul(the vet) told us to not expect alot the next 24 hours.But he says shes a strong little thing and she has age on her side.
He did the grass seeds and her pads on her feet as well...so she will be sore and sorry the next few days. Judith told me there was no such thing as a toy chow,well now we know shes full bred but just very neglected.
Now about the RSPCA........Paul rang them explained the situation,they were reserved about us making desisions for daisy and that we need to talk about telling the owners....We want to tell the owners in fact the council will be sending them a nice bill in the mail. The good thing is they have on record daisy and stanly were sold.....so they cant say stanly was stolen or daisy was given away now....of course the RSPCA acted like the owners have rights etc,well paul certainly made them think twice about saying that again.
Anyway daisy will become denises if shes kept away for 8 days and we are nearly there....i just hope she doesnt give up,theres a home waiting for her......
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am hoping for the best for Daisy. I hope she has the strength and the will to survive. It sounds like you have a GREAT vet! The RSPCA sounds like a rather ineffective bunch. Denise sounds like a very nice person...and we all started with our first chow at one time or another. There was a time when we were all beginners with this breed. I'm sure she'll do well if Daisy makes it through.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I hope daisy pulls through, the woman sounds like she will be a great mom. Please keep us posted
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I hope Daisy will be ok. I'm just glad they are both out of there. Can't help but wonder if he didn't let Daisy go free on his own because he couldn't breed her and her health getting so bad. The lady who found her sounds like she'd be a perfect match for Daisy. Like someone said, we all have had our first chow at some time.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Chows in good condition die from pyometra, I hope Daisy does okay. I am glad the RSPCA is now somewhat involved. The vet can attest to her needing immediate medical attention, so if there is a question about motives, it can be answered. I would hate to think Australia is adopting our bad habits when it comes to animal ownership. I guess there are bad apples no matter where one lives.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

It makes me sick at my stomach to think of all Daisy has been through.
Kudos to you for following up on the situation, YOU are Daisy's HERO!! =D= =D= =D=

Who wouldn't be cranky if they had been treated the way daisy has been treated.

Generally speaking, if I see a dog who has been abused or neglected, or are currently in a abusive situation...
I would not hesitate to take matters into my own hands, forget about the finding the "owners" first. The dog's well being is most important.
If the dog is sick, it would be irresponsible of me to risk losing the dog to sickness, waiting on owners, who may or may not come forward.
I tend to get all worked up in situations like this. :shock:
For me, the first order of business, is to get the dog medical help it needs and document very well the condition of the abused dog with photos, plastic bags full of parasites, matting, cockle burrs, seeds, that were removed from the dog's coat. Of course, I ask my vet for very descriptive notes and a copy of the paid bill.
With good documentation, preparing to take my case to court and challenge the owner (if known, if they ever come forward). But, in my opinion, if a dog is roaming around here, without a human on the other end of a leash, that dog is a stray and needs help. If the dog is in excellent condition, I will bust my butt to get the doggie home.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Crossing our fingers for Daisey [-o|
ImageImageImage
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Kez, how is she doing?
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I'm not online much but I have been paying attention to this story and my fingers are crossed hoping daisy had a succesfull surgery. I must say that you have got to be their angel, if not for you then who knows what would have become of them. Thank you for caring and going above and beyond what most people would have done!! Just remember kharma is a b!tch and what comes around not only goes around but will come back, good or bad, ten fold :twisted: so the so called owners are going to have some things to answer for and you will get a lot of good things coming your way!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

hi, sorry i havent posted updates,i really haven;t had news. She was really sick yesterday,and she looked horrible and didnt look like she had enough energy to move .We almost gave up. When we left there last night we didnt think shed be here today but this afternoon she seems to have picked up. shes actually eating and keeping it down. the worst is over we hope. she had a high temp tonight but its not dangerous yet. She has a sad little face and when she looks at us its like shes saying shes had enough...but tonight her tail was wagging..the kids are all falling in love with her they visit every day. Paul doesnt want to say either way what he thinks will be the outcome but just says every day is a new one...and step by step is how we have to deal with this.
Anyway tomorrow is another day and hopefully a good news day...thanks everyone for asking about daisy, shes really worth the thoughts and best wishes....an angel...
We wont know now what happens with the dogs previous owners,its now confidential....they told us that they will be dealt with accordingly and we have all done statements...but as far as charges etc thats a confidential law....but the vet says he will push to find out...hes so angry about the whole thing..he has before and after photos of bear and hes also got some cute ones of daisy....i think they both have won his heart too...and hes not going to sit by and let this just be pushed away...
so after all the drama of these past weeks and the negative comments i can honestly say we done the right thing and theres nothing anyone can say that will make me see other wise...sometimes you have to do what seems wrong and most likely is but usually i think we know whats right...i would do this again if need be..and i can look in bears eyes and soon daisys and know they have a better life..one they deserve.....not left out to look after them selves in heat with no shelter.left to suffer in silence and neglect.
sorry for rambling im a little emotional and its been tough knowing wether weve done the right thing...but i know we did....
there is something id like to ad....kate always says that her and bear are well matched very similar in personalities ,she believes bear was always meant to be,that finding him was fate.....anyway i was getting her bowl (baby one her nana made when she was a baby) to feed my grandaughter in...and..the decal in the centre of kates bowl is a chow....same as bear i will take a photo and post it to prove it..i got all tingly when i realized it..we never really took notice it was a chow..just that it was a dog...isnt that weird....anyway sorry to go on...
talk to you all later...

:D
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

I'm glad you have such a tenacious vet. Many prayers both for Daisy and for you. Maybe once this settles down your family and bear can go camping again. Sounds like everyone is under a lot of stress. How is Bear, btw?
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad Daisy is still hanging on. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts for her. She is young, like your vet said. I hope she will pull through with all my heart. I definitely feel you did the right thing. I never had any doubts...even at the beginning. Best wishes to all of you!!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Is Denise still hoping to keep Daisy if she pulls through? Sounds like total drama over there, but in the end it is something you felt you needed to do, even though it never sits well to break the law trying to accomplish a good deed...I hope that both Chows get the life they deserve now.