Question for those who show chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zhuyos mom

Question for those who show chows

Post by Zhuyos mom »

The Golden Gate Kennel Club's Annual show will be in town next weekend. I like going to them from time to time. Lots of good discounts with treats and many chow related tschotskies. Unfortunately, the chow people there are a bit snobby but it's still nice to watch and cheer the chows on when they are on the floor. Anyways, I was browsing the site and had a question. One of last year's chow winners was Ch. Chowmania's Big Box Office Hit (see info below). I understand most of it, but what is an "Agent"? I noticed from last year's data in the group and Best in Show results, there was one very prevalent "Agent" (Bill McFadden) on 3 of the groups (not Non-Sporting, but the others).

7 CH CHOWMANIA'S BIG BOX OFFICE HIT. NP 04891301. 09-17-03
(Pauline Dennison, Agent).
By Ch Chowmania Cherie's Cinnemax - Chowmania's Legally Blonde. Chow Chows. Dog.
Owner: Louise Wilson & Holley McKay & Carin Prelesnik., Davis, CA 95616. Breeder: Holley McKay & Carin Prelesnik.

So my question is: What is an "Agent" in the show dog world and what is their function?
Auddymay

Re: Question for those who show chows

Post by Auddymay »

I may be wrong, but doesn't the agent put the show on? Basically, the clubs get together and hire an agent to put up the tents, rings, and basically organize the actual event.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

The agent is a professional handler. Snobs R Us. \:D/
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Red Dragon wrote:The agent is a professional handler. Snobs R Us. \:D/
Ah! So why don't they write "handler"?! Yes, they are snobs! Then again, maybe they are just being "aloof" here! We'll see next week when I pace up and down their aisle if anyone with smile and say "hello" to me. One year I had to out and out buy a t-shirt from their club to get someone's attention.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Yep, anybody with money will get their attention. :lol:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The shows I have been to, most have been polite and friendly. There were a few folks who were real pieces of work, but mostly, folks enjoyed me gushing overtheir beauties...lol.
chowfur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowfur »

In case you are planning to attend the Golden Gate KC show, there are no chows entered on Saturday and 2 entered on Sunday. They will be in the South Hall in ring 22, shown at 2:15.

If you are interested in attending a large chow show, the Redwood Coast Chow Chow Club will hold their spring specialty on Friday, May 15 in Vallejo, CA at the Solano County Fairgrounds.

Amanda
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Thanks for the info, Amanda. Will you be there on Sunday with the Winsong chows?
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

As Sam says, an agent is the handler - not always a heavy duty pro, but a paid handler all the same. Pauline tends to only handle Chows on the West Coast.

Bill McFadden is one of the more prominent handlers out there and tends to show any and all breeds that he thinks has BIS potential. He has a very good eye for a dog and would make an excellent judge.

As to the use of handlers, this is done for many reasons. I occasionally use a handler (though using handlers is not as prevalent in Australia as in No. America) because the dog I am showing needs that extra finesse to get the best out of them - assuming that I personally judge the dog has a chance of something beyond a placement breed, the potential for something in group or even in show... Because most handlers have a certain level of both detachment combined with respect for the dog, as opposed to a close personal relationship the dog may share with the owner which can effect performance in the ring, the dog is often more likely to perform more professionally with a handler.

Cheers,
Judith-Ann
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

sengeoz wrote:Because most handlers have a certain level of both detachment combined with respect for the dog, as opposed to a close personal relationship the dog may share with the owner which can effect performance in the ring, the dog is often more likely to perform more professionally with a handler.

Cheers,
Judith-Ann
What you mean like when I handled Arturo for you and we WON big time :lol: :wink:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

I have shown 3 of my chows 2 are champions in Canada and my smooth is now 6 months !! Owner /handler is pretty hard....especially difficult against professionals, but hey it was fun and thats whats its supposed to be. Took me just about 2 years to finish my black girl , and 6 months to finish my red boy ! I was told that its harder to show a black and thats very true !! And now I'm gonna tackle showing a smooth which I am told will be a chalenge to ! So we'll see !! I dont go to every dog show either....I only enter the ones that are near or within 2 hours of where I live. Once in awhile I will go overnight to a show 6 hours away ! But its hard when you work full time to I cant be asking for every weekend of ! LOL

But it is fun !! I have met some really nice ppl ! And i enjoy it when ppl talk to you about your breed of dog ect. I would never snub someone or not allow them to touch or pet my dog !!! I always encourage it !
thanks sweetpea
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Sabina - I am NOT going to touch that one! [-(
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

sengeoz wrote:Sabina - I am NOT going to touch that one! [-(
Oh why not? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
chowfur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowfur »

Zhuyos mom wrote:Thanks for the info, Amanda. Will you be there on Sunday with the Winsong chows?

Sorry I'm late in replying to you. We were not entered at that show. We'll be in Hanford at the end of Feb. and then the Northern Cal shows will be underway in March, quite a few shows every month thru June. You can check out shows in California by going to: http://www.infodog.com/panels/ca.htm

Prior to showing, I went to the shows for years just to talk to the chow breeders because I wanted to learn more about grooming, diet, etc. Most of them are really nice & helpful. And the vendors are great!

Amanda