Interesting e-mail

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Interesting e-mail

Post by KathrynH »

I always wondered how you knew if someone would make a good pet owner or not, if it would be obvious or not if they were "Bad people" for lack of a better phrase. I got the following e-mail in response to Annie that I wanted to share..because I wonder if anyone else has ever wondered about that. Here it is:

how are you ? i am interested in the adoption of your pet, i will be very glad to know the adoption fee and the present condition of the

pet? what is the name of the pet ?.I hope you will consider me shipping the pet
from your location to my loving home? Concerning the shipping,a competent shipping agency will handle the
shipping, which i will make provision for and pay for from my pocket.As soon as the pet arrive our home a welcome party will be organised

on the day of the arrival and i will always send you the picture of the pet every twice in a month so that you can know how the pet is

doing.I live in a fenced yard and its my own ones house which i live together with my son who is 19 and my daughter is 17 moreso there will

always be some one that will take care of the pet when i am not at home.your response will be higly appreciated.my home address is 87

Dartmouth,Dr Mystic,Ct 06355 .

This guy is claiming to be a doctor...I just thought it was a little creepy
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Interesting e-mail

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Its not the Doctor you look at its the MYSTIC following the Dr. Sounds like cult sacrifices to me or some other weirdness going on.. Plus they can't speck English, not that it matters but when I say quartet pounded i don't want a fish sandwich.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Right? Gosh, I always wondered if I'd know off the bat...but this just ooozes shady! He never addreses her by her name, or asks any of the important questions. When I googled the address a Science research center was the first thing to come up, but the number's were a little off. If I was getting a rescue I'd sure want to know as much as possible about her as possible, ya know?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I see two things about this email, first of course is he asks nothing about Annie and second and even more troubling he really doesn't say anything about his experience and readiness to handle a chow. Not to tout my own horn, but I remember my first email to Linda and Ann at WTCR; I explained why I was looking for a new chow, (Ming's cancer and passing) I offered my experience as a chow owner as well as owning/being owned by several other pets, I offered my vet's info and told about my living situation, (I have an apartment no fenced back yard, but there is a small park a half block away and a larger one two blocks away) I was very open with her, talked on the phone with her etc.

Openess, information and experience are key I think when you are trying to adopt a chow or any pet, this person doesn't show that.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh my Goodness, when I was trying to get a rescue, I gave them everything but my bank account, including names and numbers and vets, friends, neighbors, business associates - you name it. I described my house, gave my exact address, described my neighborhood, gave all my previous pet histories including the dog and cats my parents had when I was born. I must have given almost my entire life story. And, this was all to a rescue that I had never been able to speak to.

All of it was for naught, because at the time I had no fenced yard. Of course, now that I have one - Mia and Chutters never go out there. They want their walkies or they want to play in the living room. If they are out in the yard 8 minutes a day, it's a lot.

I will say I was a tad nervous about asking too many questions about the dog's health and description because I was afraid that they would think that I was making sure that the pup offered fit a certain type. I knew that I could love any baby. So, I specifically asked questions about health and etc and at the same time assured them that a health or something issue would not prevent me from wanting the pup, just that I wanted to be prepared. I told them that if I was considered, I was prepared to show them my pay statement and bank balances. I gave them everything I could possibly think of to make myself look ideal.

And, I could have well afforded to buy any pup I wanted, but I was absolutely determined to get a rescue! I tried several time, but the lack of fence was a dealbreaker.

Also, if the above doctor had even a high school diploma his grammar should be better. If he is from another country, his english would have to be better to work in this country.
Mia
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

roflmao,guys....87 Dartmouth Dr, Mystic, CT 06355 is an address!!!
Dartmouth Drive ,Mystic is the town!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Oh, I knew that Mystic was a town, I just thought the letter was shady :lol:
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

KathrynH wrote:Oh, I knew that Mystic was a town, I just thought the letter was shady :lol:
you can look it up in yahoo maps.
Wayne M Sr Richard Srhome
87 Dartmouth Dr
Mystic, CT 06355-1344
phone number unavailable
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Oh, I tried google and nothing came up with that exact address
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

yahoo maps,and then use the addess to do a reversed search in the white pages:
http://www.whitepages.com/search/Revers ... ime=survey
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

From the way it's written I would be very surprised if it's not some sort of scam. I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
Thank you Sweatpea
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I definitely wasn'teven open to this guy LOL Anyway, we found an AWESOME home for her, best thing is, she's a friend, so I can check up on Annie all the time :)
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

SCAM!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

There is a scam going around that this may fit into. I've heard of it from several people. Someone contacts them asking about adopting/buying the dog (or any item they may have for sale) from them but they never really ask anything about the dog/item itself. They immediately mention shipping. If a person agrees to this, the "buyer" sends them a check or money order that is way more than the asking price, and they want the person to cash it and then send the extra money back to them or to a supposed shipping address to pay the shipping fee. And then some time later it's discovered that the check/money order was a fraud but because it had to route through a number of places it took a long time to clear - past the normal time. And the person who cashed the check is out all the money.

I haven't seen any of the actual emails but this one sounds like it's one of these scams.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I just wanted to say that this letter has not been written for Annie, because he always says "the pet", he never says "Annie" or "the chow" or just even "the dog"!
The letter he sent works for adopting chows, dashunds, GSP, or even a cat or a chicken, you name it!.. :roll:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

When I had a horse for sale last year, I got dozens of emails like this one. These are foreigners who are in it for the scam. They profess to be interested in the purchase and then will agree to send you a "cashier's check" and will include "extra" for the shipping costs. Thing is, you ship the pet, horse, etc. at your expense, planning on cashing that bogus check. Not only do you lose the pet, but your *Censored Word* if you buy into this sh*t.
After all Annie has been through, i would hate to see her end up this way.
I thought you had a friend who was adopting her?
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

She did adopt her, I just wanted to share this e-mail, becauase I thought it was interesting. I would NEVER have fallen for this. Actually, she took Annie yesterday.It was very bittersweet for us. She's doing great though! Her and Annie have already started bonding. Annie has over an acre of fenced in land to explore and play in.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

boo yah's for Annie getting a good home! You done good kid! =D= =D= =D=

The email sounds like a stock letter, created for a mass mailing scam. It could apply to any animal.
I like the way so many scammers promote themselves to Doctor status! It's a nice touch! :lol:

Signed,
Dr. Sher and Dr. Colonel :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think IliamnasQuest got it right I forgot about the scams Craiglist has warnings about them. No matter what you post you will always get an e-mail similer to what you recieved.

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

Examples of Scams
1. Someone claims that craigslist will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that craigslist will handle or provide protection for a payment.

These claims are fraudulent, as craigslist does not have any role in any transaction.
Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from craigslist, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!
2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)
3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:

Scam "bait" items include apartments, laptops, plasma TVs, cell phones, tickets - but could be almost anything
Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.
Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
Apartment listing may be local, but landlord/owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad
Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, rent is below market, etc
4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:

this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE
sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check
deal often seems too good to be true
5. distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.

most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers
for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"
6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods

he says he trusts you with the partial payment
he may say he has already shipped the goods
deal often sounds too good to be true
7. foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds

foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly
you are typically offered a percentage of payments received
this kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actual scam emails sent to craigslist sellers
Hello ,Thanks for your mail back concerning the inquiry mail i sent to you. The price,condition also the pics i viewed is okay by me .And my client confirm there is no problem about the price($975 ) ,my client do pays with a {USA}cashier check,he has agreed to mail out as bank cashiers check of $3500. to you on my behalf to cover the shippment fees.About the shippment, that we be taken care by my me & my personal assistant,my personal assistant will be using his shipper to do the quick processing of the shipping of the(1987 Toyota Celica) to my client.So all you are to do after you will received the check in your mail, Just take out your sale amount and refer the remaining money to my shipper immediately through the westernunion or the money gramm outlet so to get the money fast and start the fast arrangement for the pickup of the (1987 Toyota Celica).Since you are the original owner of this item,and i am buying the item directly from you i will like you to write your full name to be on the check,with the mailing address which my client will be using to issued out the check to you.I do wish to trust you by refering the rest balance back to my shipper and also your fast doing to this transaction.I will like to hear fromyou if this is okay by you and you are ready to process ,if you aready to sale your item and promise refering the rest balance to my shipper immediately you received the check so can start the quick arrangement for the pickup. Any body that want to buy this item this item just tell therm that it as been sold. I will like to copmplete this transaction befor the new year. I be at my computer waiting to see your epky to my payment method mailed.THANKS AND MAIL ME BACK WITH YOUR DETAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for getting back to me,i will be>purchasing the motorbike Like i said earlier i am based in the>netherlands(holland).there won't be any probs about the shipment,after>payment ,the pick up will be made at your place. i have made arrangements>with the prepaid shipping company. As regards payment,this is what i am>going to do;I have a client in ENGLAND who is owing me 5800POUNDS i would>instruct him to make out a money order/certifiedcheck to you in that>amount and as soon as it clears your bank. you can now deduct your money>from it and send me my balance,i will using use part of the money to pay>for the shipping and other expenses .you will then send my balance by via>western union money transfer.Although the value of the check is more than>the asking price but i think i should be able to trust you with my>balance. The reason why i am doing this is that it would take a check>sent from over here in HOLLAND 21days to clearover there,whereas a check>sent from the US would clear tops within 48hrs. So i would like you to>deduct the western union charges from my balance.So if my terms are>acceptableto you,i would like you to give me your fullname,address and>phone number so that i can instruct my client to make out the check to>you. Pls get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that we can>round things up in a timely fashion..i willbe trusting in this business>transaction.

> Good day> i am an auto dealer based in TAIWAN,i am interested in buying your> ( 1989 Jetta GL 4 door )I will like to know if you would accept> acertified cashier check for the payment of the,i also need to> know the price and your full name and address including your> phone is also needed in which payment will be sent to . i have a> shipping company who takes cares of my shippment .So don't bother> about the shippment.I will also like to know if is still in good> condition and> shape.urgent response is needed for procedure of payment of the (> 1989 Jetta GL 4 door )> REGARD

> Thanks for your mail,Since the cost of your bike is $800 i just contactedmy client about the cost of your bike and it present condition and he saidthere is no problem about that.So my client said he will be issuing you aCertified Check of $4000 while you wire 3000 to me through Western UnionMoney Trasfer and you deduct the cost of your bike $800 and keep theremaining $200 which my client said you should take for the terms ofTransaction and Agreement between you and my client.So i will like you tosend me your full contact information to where my client will be sending you> the Certified Check like this:> name.........> full address.............> city...............> state.............> country..........> zipcode............> cell/office/home phone number.......................> I will look forward to the requested information as soon as possible sothat the check can be sent out to you immediately And do get back to mewith the Pics of the bike so tha! t my client will be Able to see What heis paying off.Get back to me immediately. Looking torwards your> respond,> Best Regards.

Good dayi am an auto dealer based in TAIWAN,i am interested in buying your( Comic book collection - 500 comics )I will like to know if youwould accept acertified cashier check for the payment of the,i alsoneed to knowthe price and your full name and address including your phoneis alsoneeded in which payment will be sent to . i have a shippingcompany who takes cares of my shippment .So don't bother about theshippment.I will also like to know if is still in good conditionand shape.urgent response is needed for procedure of payment of the (Comic book collection - 500 comics )
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage