How do you know when "it's time"?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Wolfie
Rank 0
Rank 0

How do you know when "it's time"?

Post by Wolfie »

Wolfie is now 11 yrs. old. He has cataracts in both eyes and has a hard time climbing the stairs. I realize that he is NEVER going to get better, only worse and it's really difficult to watch. What do you do???? I have never faced this before with a dog, just my daughters 17 yr, old cat, who developed tongue cancer. I am really torn between "should I or shouldn't I"? He is my little black bodyguard -- always has been!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How do you know when "it's time"?

Post by Me & Tess »

Tess had a hard time climbing the stairs to our loft for several years. We would hear her heavy footed as she climbed after me. Sometimes I worried if she could make it. But every night she made the climb. Sometimes she had a hard time coming down and I would walk down with her. Her eyes were good but she had the start of cataracts. She developed cancer and we made the decision when her tumor started bleeding, because we knew there was nothing more we could do and didn't want to see her in pain. The decision was the hardest decision both Mike & had to make. She was at least 14 at that time. Even if she were blind I would have made the decision to keep her alive. It was the pain, the bleeding that brought us to the final decision. Please read Tess & Me. I don't know if will help. I still second guess myself, even though Tess was in pain but know that we made the best decision at the end. Her loss will hurt for a very long time. We try to keep our Chows as healthy as we can. Enjoy the last days with your beautiful black Chow. Look into her/his eyes. The eyes will tell you when it is time.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

When stairs became difficult for Kody we put up a gate in the house so that he couldn't go downstairs and built a ramp from the deck to the yard so he didn't have to use stairs there either. He was also put on meds for his arthritis. We tried supplements for awhile before we went to meds but he was older then 11 when it all started to get bad. What does your vet say?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

You know it is time when they no longer enjoy life, are in pain and are just existing. Otono my 16 year old cocker stopped eating and had problems getting up and walking. Misty my 16 year old cocker had cancer and bleeding tumors, she still managed to get around but was not enjoying herself. Maxwell is having problems going down stairs due to his side so I carry him down. Maya has been blind for 8 years and is functioning almost as well as when she was sighted. Both Maxwell and Maya are pain free and still enjoy life and people. There is no easy answer. You will see it in their eyes when they are in pain or no longer want to be with people and just want to be left alone. It is so hard. I have had to make the decision for my former furkids, Diego, Bud, Ms. Jane, Otono and Misty, It never gets easier and I always regretted not waiting just a few more days, It is the last gesture of love we can make. You know Wolfie, He will tell you when it is time to say good bye. Dogs generally slow down gradually and give you time to mentally prepare, although when the day comes, there is still denial. It sounds like Wolfie, is slowing down, his way perhaps of telling you not yet mom/dad but the day is coming when we have to say goodbye.

David
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe is slowing down having a hard time at curbs and getting in the car, i just keep giving her Dr fosters and whoever joint care and happy hips chicken strips she seems to be doing fine. Pekoe will be 13 in febuary. The way I see it as long as they are moving and breathing, not in pain or suffering and still has those playful moments barking and senior zommies and the big one, still chasing cats its not the time. Have you tried anything for the joints?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Wolfie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wolfie »

I have tried virtually everything for the joints, the canine dementia; however the cataracts are something that I just noticed today. Shame on me for not paying enough attention. OMG, this might have been prevented, Maybe si, maybe no. OMG, just the thought of euthanasia is disturbing. would not be able to make that decision for any [b]PERSON[/b] that I cared for, much less for my best ([b]canine[/b]) friend. My "first daughter" Gabby, (a siamese cat) died Feb. 28th, 1997 -- she was 14 at the time. She died under my bed that night. Right before, she jumped up, sat on my chest, meowed, jumped down and died. I have never gotten over that, so much so, that I refuse to own another cat. The cat we have now is strictly my oldest daughter's -- I will not get attached to another feline.

Same goes for Wolfie. I will never get another dog. (If I did, he/she would no doubt out-live me and would not want that to happen). I am handling this very poorly. I am WAY too emotionally involved.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Theres nothing you could have done to prevent cataracts that I know of and cataract surgery is one major surgery I doubt any vet would do caderact surgery on an 11 year old Chow. Roxana's Dakota had severe cateracts he had to have one eye removed then went blind one night in the other eye, Dakota did fine and lived a few more good years even with being completly blind. I wouldn't rush into anything. When they hit the seniors years with all the senior ailments its our turn to take over and repay them for the years they gave us, slow there life way down and let them rest and enjoy the last few years they have left, just like taking care of dear old mom when she starts falling apart but then euthanzing dear old mom wouldn't be a bad idea if it were legal. How does that saying go? "Spare the Chow kill the Mom" oh wait, thats my saying never mind.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Wolfie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wolfie »

I would rather be the one "euthanised" then Wolfie. He is my "son"; my baby! OMG will someone just shoot me to shut me up. I am a frigging basket case.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwwwwwww bless your heart. Do what you can with your vets advice to make him comfortable. You will know when it is time...your vet..if you trust him/her...will help you with that decision. It is horrible...no doubt...heart breaking. We have all been there and we are here for you.
:(
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

It is the hardest decision I have ever had to make and the one I've second guessed the most. But it is the kindest, most generous act of love we can give to our furkids in return for the devotion they have given us.

That said, blindness in and of itself is no reason to end a dog's life. My Chana went blind from SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration) at age 4 and lived a happy content life until she developed cancer at 13. Teddy is somewhere between 4 and 6, has been blind since he was young due to his former owner's neglect of his entropion and is the happiest, most content boy you could ever meet.

Chana had arthritis and was on glucosamine chondroitin supplements for several years and a buffered aspirin each day for the year or so. I carried her up the stairs at times (all ~60 lbs of her) and lifted her into the car or onto the bed. It got easier over time as I built up muscle mass. Toward the end she seemed to suddenly start getting lost in corners of rooms, not sure how to turn around and get out. That may have been some dementia. She stopped eating entirely. A mass showed on the abdominal ultrasound, and she had exploratory surgery. She had an inoperable tumor that was blocking her digestive system. I made the decision let her go while she was still under anesthesia, before she had to endure any more pain.

Tasha developed Cushing's disease and was being treated for it, but was not responding very well. Then she underwent some personality changes, never seeming to be happy, attacking Cinder and biting my DH in the process (10 stitches). Finely it got to the point where she scared me, growling and snapping if she was surprised (and since she had a hearing loss, that was often). She seemed to find no joy in life anymore. So that is when I made the decision and she was euthanized. (The autopsy I requested showed a brain tumor, which is what initially caused the Cushing's as well as the personality issues. To this day, however, I wonder if I was anthropomorphising when I assumed she found no joy in life anymore and she was still content. Or my worry about the quality of Cinder's life as we kept the two separated and spent more time with Tasha thinking that might help Tash, influenced my decision more than it should have. I wonder if she could have had more time and enjoyed it. Did I do the right thing? Absolutely! On the right day? I don't know!

But I look back and remember the zest for life Tasha always had. She was the puppy that wagged her whole body whenever she heard her name. She zoomied through the house and in circles around the dining room table until the last few months of her life. She was relatively generous with the purple kisses and the first to slide her head under my hand when I walked in door each day, until the last few weeks of her life. And I think maybe I was too late, rather than too early. For my sweet little princess would never have wanted to injure one of her humans or to inspire fear in the other.

It is an extraordinary responsibility to decide when the quality of life is so diminished that life is no longer worth living. And we will never know if we get it precisely right. But it is one of the many responsibilities we accept when we take in these extraordinary creatures and accept all that they have to give us.

All the advice I can offer you is to trust yourself and your knowledge of Wolfie. And to pray for guidance (something I wish I had done).

You and Wolfie are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you both.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Cyan is now 14years old, is going blind and has lots of pains in her bones, but she is still able to get up and down the stairs, she is on Outhrodise tablets twice a day, and as most of you know I wont put to sleep unless really necessary, I would rather them if not in agony go to sleep on their own when they know the time is right. The only time I put to sleep is when their pain is uncontrolable and they are screaming in agony. Love your chow for just a little bit longer, he will let you know when he is ready to cross the Rainbow bridge.
Thinking of you
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Cataracts doesn't mean he's going to go blind it may just cloud his vision or it may do nothing at all a vet can give you somewhat of an idea it they are bothering his eye sight, the best why I know to check the eye sight I do it with Pekoe all the time, just find a cat a distance away and see if he see's it but even that doesn't say forsure, Pekoe has always had a problem seeing white cats she could walk right in front of them unless they move she world never see them. or holds a treat a few feet away and see if he follows it with his eye's, we all start having visionproblems sooner orl later it dosn't mean were going blind. Dogs are missing one of the primary colors I think its green.

ImageImage
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

As others have said, slowing down and possible blindness of themselves do not signify the end of life. Our first chow, Chia, developed canine glaucoma and, despite 4 surgeries in 8 days from the date of onset, she lost the sight in her right eye. Eventually, she had to have that eye removed and we had a prosthetic eye made and inserted so that she wouldn't look anything other than perfect (as she always looked to us, anyway). You would have to have known her, she actually used to stop and look at herself in a mirror before going out for walks, we always joked that she was making sure she looked her best!!! Anyway, despite tons of medications and additional surgeries for the remaining eye, she lost the eyesight in that, also. So, she became totally blind. It truly didn't hinder her in any way at all. We continued to take her for daily walks, depending upon the weather, and absolutely no one would have guessed that she was blind! It was truly amazing how well she adapted...

As she began to slow down, we got Ming, a male puppy, to keep her company and, as her surgeons and doctors suggested, to add some time to her life. It did, another amazing thing!

We finally lost her to cancer, which she had been battling valiantly. We took her to the doctor for what we assumed was something routine, or at least we hoped so, when we were told that the cancer had apparently spread (the tumor had been encapsulated, so it was not growing nor was it bothering her) and when we asked if she was in pain, he said no, he truly didn't think so, but she would be within a matter of days. We made the decision right then to put her to sleep (a much nicer phrase than it deserves...).

The last 3 or 4 days of her life, she had quit eating her regular food, other than treats. The last 24 hours, she wouldn't even eat a treat, but she still got all excited about going on "walkie!!!" That final morning, she seemed in really good spirits when asked if she wanted to go for a ride in the car (to the doctor's) but when I lifted her into the front passenger seat (she NEVER sat in back, she'd climb over the seat if she had to in order to get up front), she sat there and literally collapsed against the back of the seat. In my heart, looking back, I think I knew she wouldn't be coming home with us, but there's always hope, I suppose...

Anyway, I've rambled on and said virtually nothing, which was certainly not my intention. I just wanted to let you know that, somehow, you'll know when it's time. Don't think that cataracts and slowing down in themselves are a reason, nor are they necessarily a precursor to anything. If and when your baby tells you in his own way, that's when you'll know what to do. It's the last true gift we can bestow upon our children...
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Ralphie died two years ago yesterday. He was 14.5 years old, he had arthritis and canine dementia. He was living with my ex-b/f because he couldn't make it up and down steps, and I used to be there every weekend from Friday night til Monday morning. When we split up, I tried to take Ralphie with me, but he couldn't make it up the steps, and cried pitifully (He weighed over 70 pounds, and I have a really bad back - I tried to carry him up the 4 steps, but he wiggled out of my arms - it was a nightmare)
My ex called me the day before Ralphie died, and I tore *Censored Word* down there - he couldn't move. He had been slowing down, but had been able to get up and go out by himself until that night. He didn't seem to be in any pain, but didn't move. The vet was already closed or I'd have taken him in right away. He didn't seem to be in any pain or I'd have insisted on taking him to an E.R. vet. My ex was a basket case and couldn't deal with having Ralphie put to sleep. We finally agreed that if he was still alive in the morning and in the same condition, we'd take him in. If he got worse or seemed to be in pain overnight, we would take him to the E.R. Vet. When I got back the next morning, Honey (my other chow, the same age, who was living with me) went to Ralphie and touched noses with him, and I laid down on the floor with him and said goodbye. My ex went to get the car, I opened the door so he could carry Ralphie to the car, and by the time we got back to him, Ralphie was gone. Very peaceful, but it freakin' broke my heart. I don't THINK he was in any pain, and I think he chose his time to go - with all of his family there with him, but ... I felt so bad that he had spent that last 24 hours unable to move on his own, and how do I KNOW he wasn't in pain???

Honey's time came last Christmas. I could FEEL that her time was coming - it wasn't the cataracts, which she'd had for years, it was the fact that she slept more and more and heavier and heavier - thought I'm sure part of that was because she was probably deaf as a stone ... as everyone says - you just KNOW ... I had been preparing for it for YEARS as she and Ralphie both had bad hips, but we managed to control their pain with shots of adequan quarterly and doggie aspirin and glucosomine-chondritin... Christmas Eve I felt like it was coming to an end - she didn't seem in any pain; I don't know how I knew, but I did - I asked her if she could hold on through Christmas and she did. I took her in to the vet the morning after Christmas and he suggested trying another pain med before we put her down as putting her down is an irrevocable decision. I did, and by that night, she wasn't getting up any more, she didn't want to eat, and sometime during the night (that I spent next to her on the floor), she quit drinking water. Never seemed in any pain, but there was no question in my mind it was TIME. I promised her I would always take care of her, and while I could have just left her laying on the floor until she took her last breath, that didn't seem like I was taking care of her like I said I would. She was a proud, proud girl who NEVER gave me a moment's trouble, and I spent that last night telling her it was okay to let go, that I would be okay, that I loved her so very much that I would let her go. I was at the vet's office when they opened and I held her as he gave her the shot and she slipped across the rainbow bridge. I know Ralphie was waiting on the other side, and the two of them are happily playing together.

I found Brandy less than a month later, and she came to live with me the first weekend in February. I am so, so grateful to have my new girl. While I still miss Honey and Ralph, and it's breaking my heart to relive their last day again, my new furball girl makes it so much better. Brandy is Brandy - she's not Honey, she's not Ralph, and I wouldn't want her to be, but boy, she fills that hole in my heart that they left.

Don't worry about the cataracts, as long as the arthritis is under control and she's not in pain, don't worry about that. Don't worry about her slowing down, not hearing, sleeping alot - yes, those are all signs of aging, but they're not signs that her time as come. As long as she still enjoys watching the cats/squirrels, whatever, enjoys her belly rubs and treats - life is good. When noone of that means anything to her, or she cries from pain that can't be alleviated - do what is right, take care of her, and don't let her suffer. And if you can, and I know not everyone can, be with her when the time comes. I've been with all of mine (Bear - 1986; Ivanhoe - 1999; Ralphie - 2006; Honey - 2007) when the time came, and I was holding all of them. My ex was holding Ralphie when he breathed his last, and I was within a few feet of him telling him it was okay to cross the rainbow bridge... I may regret that they're not in my life anymore, but I don't have any regrets about being with them at the time they needed me the most...

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

MickChick wrote:Ralphie died two years ago yesterday. He was 14.5 years old, he had arthritis and canine dementia. He was living with my ex-b/f because he couldn't make it up and down steps, and I used to be there every weekend from Friday night til Monday morning. When we split up, I tried to take Ralphie with me, but he couldn't make it up the steps, and cried pitifully (He weighed over 70 pounds, and I have a really bad back - I tried to carry him up the 4 steps, but he wiggled out of my arms - it was a nightmare)
My ex called me the day before Ralphie died, and I tore *Censored Word* down there - he couldn't move. He had been slowing down, but had been able to get up and go out by himself until that night. He didn't seem to be in any pain, but didn't move. The vet was already closed or I'd have taken him in right away. He didn't seem to be in any pain or I'd have insisted on taking him to an E.R. vet. My ex was a basket case and couldn't deal with having Ralphie put to sleep. We finally agreed that if he was still alive in the morning and in the same condition, we'd take him in. If he got worse or seemed to be in pain overnight, we would take him to the E.R. Vet. When I got back the next morning, Honey (my other chow, the same age, who was living with me) went to Ralphie and touched noses with him, and I laid down on the floor with him and said goodbye. My ex went to get the car, I opened the door so he could carry Ralphie to the car, and by the time we got back to him, Ralphie was gone. Very peaceful, but it freakin' broke my heart. I don't THINK he was in any pain, and I think he chose his time to go - with all of his family there with him, but ... I felt so bad that he had spent that last 24 hours unable to move on his own, and how do I KNOW he wasn't in pain???

Honey's time came last Christmas. I could FEEL that her time was coming - it wasn't the cataracts, which she'd had for years, it was the fact that she slept more and more and heavier and heavier - thought I'm sure part of that was because she was probably deaf as a stone ... as everyone says - you just KNOW ... I had been preparing for it for YEARS as she and Ralphie both had bad hips, but we managed to control their pain with shots of adequan quarterly and doggie aspirin and glucosomine-chondritin... Christmas Eve I felt like it was coming to an end - she didn't seem in any pain; I don't know how I knew, but I did - I asked her if she could hold on through Christmas and she did. I took her in to the vet the morning after Christmas and he suggested trying another pain med before we put her down as putting her down is an irrevocable decision. I did, and by that night, she wasn't getting up any more, she didn't want to eat, and sometime during the night (that I spent next to her on the floor), she quit drinking water. Never seemed in any pain, but there was no question in my mind it was TIME. I promised her I would always take care of her, and while I could have just left her laying on the floor until she took her last breath, that didn't seem like I was taking care of her like I said I would. She was a proud, proud girl who NEVER gave me a moment's trouble, and I spent that last night telling her it was okay to let go, that I would be okay, that I loved her so very much that I would let her go. I was at the vet's office when they opened and I held her as he gave her the shot and she slipped across the rainbow bridge. I know Ralphie was waiting on the other side, and the two of them are happily playing together.

I found Brandy less than a month later, and she came to live with me the first weekend in February. I am so, so grateful to have my new girl. While I still miss Honey and Ralph, and it's breaking my heart to relive their last day again, my new furball girl makes it so much better. Brandy is Brandy - she's not Honey, she's not Ralph, and I wouldn't want her to be, but boy, she fills that hole in my heart that they left.

Don't worry about the cataracts, as long as the arthritis is under control and she's not in pain, don't worry about that. Don't worry about her slowing down, not hearing, sleeping alot - yes, those are all signs of aging, but they're not signs that her time as come. As long as she still enjoys watching the cats/squirrels, whatever, enjoys her belly rubs and treats - life is good. When noone of that means anything to her, or she cries from pain that can't be alleviated - do what is right, take care of her, and don't let her suffer. And if you can, and I know not everyone can, be with her when the time comes. I've been with all of mine (Bear - 1986; Ivanhoe - 1999; Ralphie - 2006; Honey - 2007) when the time came, and I was holding all of them. My ex was holding Ralphie when he breathed his last, and I was within a few feet of him telling him it was okay to cross the rainbow bridge... I may regret that they're not in my life anymore, but I don't have any regrets about being with them at the time they needed me the most...

Cecelia

Oh my gosh, the pain must have been so hard. :( Leroy is my best friend, and just the THOUGHT of losing him is very painful.

I think it was Jeff who said we owe it to them to take extra care in their last few years for all they have done for us. I couldnt agree more.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

It doesn't sound like it's time for Wolfie but I posted this back in October. I think our Chowdren will always want to give no matter how much they might be in pain but it's our final responsibility to let them cross the Bridge when it's time.
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11948
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Sounds to me like Wolfie is just getting old, not that it's time to even think about his final days. Cataracts don't exactly mean he's blind, my MingToy had them he became night blind, he couldn't see well in the dark, so I'd turn lights on for him and leave night lights on for him, (helped that there were two small children around who didn't like the dark either :lol: ). And does he have to go up and down stairs? If he doesn't don't make or let him, and if he does let him do it slowly and help him as needed. Sometimes it's not just the joints it's also the loss of muscle, have you considered K-9 hydro-thearpy? I ask cause I pass the center here everyday, a nice swim in warm water that will help his joints and help him build and maintain muscle too! If the only things wrong with him are cataracts and artheritis and a bit of dementia, he's not ready for euthanasia but for some coddling.

Most of the chows on this site who didn't have cancer passed at 13 years or more, we've had many that were 15 or better. Like a lot of the others have said, he's not ready yet. Not at all.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Please don't over think what you think you need to do. We all get old. We loose part of our site. Somtimes we forget what we are doing shortly before we do it. It is just a part of getting old. If only Tess had deminished site, senior dementia, I could have lived with that and in doing she could have lived. I know the way I act or forget what I am doing, I only hope that Mike will understand, and not decide to put me down. Especially this time of year please don't make a decision that you will second guess each and every Christmas for the rest of your life. Getting old is normal. The deep pain of cancer, the bleeding, something that we can't control, those are reasons to take those last steps. There is a lady in our town who has a small dog, the dog is very old, blind and deaf, and has seizures, she hasn't given up on her little dog as yet. Please, please, please, love and protect your boy and enjoy him. I miss my Tess so much, sometimes I wonder if alowing her to be in pain would have made me feel better at this time -I think not. But that was the last step, the last gift I could give her. With all my heart and soul I beseach you to give your boy the gift of life.
Wolfie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wolfie »

I want to thank all of you for your input concerning Wolfie. Perhaps I over-reacted (as usual) when I looked deep into those almost human brown eyes of his and saw cataracts. Really blew me away. Last night I did something that I seldom do. While he was laying on his side in front of the T.V., I went over, layed down next to him and we "spooned" for a while. I mean, I did have to pull on his head for him to lay back down again, but we did "connect" I guess. This is a tremendous break-through. From day one, he has been a "loner" -- never wanting much to do we anyone; always moving away if touched. Whenever I would take him to the park, he would sit as far away from me as the leash allowed. I guess that he is mellowing in his old age. Guess that he will still continue to age, until "it's time". Just hope that I am not the one to determine when that time comes, ya know what I mean?
I just don't want anymore death. Don't think that I would be able to handle it. . . and. . . on that morbid thought, Merry X-Mass to All Of You, and Thanks Once Again. How frigging profound is that? LOL, LOL, LOL