We love the cold

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

We love the cold

Post by Dogdad »

Last year I posted "Zoomies and temperature", this year I have confirmed my theory. Zoomies go up dramatically when the temperature falls. In the spring , summer and fall we are lucky to witness one zoomie per month out of Maxwell. This weekend was in the highs of the upper 20's \:D/ 5 zoomies \:D/ . Yoshi's zoomies have increased from about one every other day to 2 or 3 a day. I personally hate the cold but am so happy the boys are enjoying themselves. I can't wait until the snow stays.

David
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: We love the cold

Post by wallacethegreat »

We love the cold here in the New Mexico mountains, too. It snowed about an inch this morning before I left for work and I watched the dogs, all five of them, running around like someone put Mexican jumping beans up their butts. And, Fozzie's zoomies are hilarious. If my husband isn't home, Fozzie will run around the living room in circles until he's gasping for air. It's hilarious. The Golden Retrievers, Bearded Collie and Anatolian just can't keep up with his energy outdoors, but as a typical Chow, when Foz comes inside (except for the morning zoomies with just me and him), he's usually very quiet. Such an amazingly affectionate little man. He is the gift that I know now Wally and Berkley sent to heal my heart from the loss of the two of them. He is more than I could have asked for.
I've noticed Fozzie will actually LEAP at the others when they're playing. I mean, he literally jumps horizontally about three or four feet at them. I'm surprised one of them doesn't get pissed because he weighs 62 pounds now at just 7 months old, but they know he's a crazy pup and they cut him endless amounts of slack. I'm so glad he's going to be a big boy.
I have fallen in love with Mr. Foz. It's hard to remember to spend equal time with my other guys. He is the cutest, sweetest Chow I've ever seen. He's only been here for two months, almost to the day, but he's grown very protective of me and I like it that way. That's why I love Chows. that bond never waivers.
My young "boss" is 6 months pregnant. I've told her all about Chows and told her that if she wanted to have a dog that would protect the baby with its life, she should get a Chow, so she's seriously thinking about it.
Anyway, back to the weather...Fozzie's coat is SO thick and beautiful I don't think the cold would ever bother him. My guys all have doggie doors though, so if it gets ugly, they can come inside whenever they want.
I get home after dark now and Mr. Foz is the only one who sits out there and waits for me at the gate. When I get out of the car, he cries!
We may not like the cold so much, but our Chows are in heaven. Imagine having your roots at Mongolia altitude and thousands of years later end up in Los Angeles or Florida.
We're all just so lucky to have them!
Attachments
Fozzie Close-Up 091708.JPG
Fozzie Close-Up 091708.JPG (64.88 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

The evenings are in the 50's but for us Californians, that's getting cold :lol: None the less, my two are so excited for their evening run. I have my grandson this week while my daughter is out of town. He tags along with DH and Shiloh - happy to have a flashlight to play with...meanwhile, Mr. N and I are full speed ahead running, running, running...we enjoy the colder nights :D
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Khana thinks that when the temperature is sub-zero (especially if the wind is blowing) then that's the VERY best time to wander around sniffing and checking out every possible mouse trail. It doesn't seem to bother her that I'm bundled up and yet shivering, repeating "hurry UP and potty, Khana!" through numb lips.

I was just telling my Mom today that the girls really get wound up when the weather gets cold and miserable. Khana keeps pushing Dora to play and poor little Dora (grumpy old gal that she is) keeps giving her these sharp "WOOF!"s that I'm sure are very very bad words. Khana does the sideways leap, with her front legs outstretched and stiff, and her neck arched in a "I'm so cute you can't resist me!" way.

The wind is blowing again. I think I'll fasten two long lines together and send Khana out with me standing in the warm doorway .. *L* .. the older I get, the less I like the cold!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Yes, now that it's getting chilly - Mia and Chutty have come alive.

All summer, we would go for walks in the evening and Chutters would lag behind - his heart really wasn't into it. Now - he's a bundle of zoomies. I had no idea that roly-poly could run so fast. He's is heaven. Both Mia and Chutters spend the mornings and evenings out on the back deck letting the wind blow their manes.

Their Mongolian roots are showing! My little polar bears!
Mia
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I guess I really hadn't paid that much attention, as Ming and Tempest do zoomies in the summer, too. But, with the advent of cooler weather, all I have to do is step onto the lanai, clap my hands a couple of times, and they start running around the back yard like idiots. Did I say idiots? I meant adorable chows... They definitely do way more zoomies when it's cold. I, on the other hand, would dearly love nothing better than to go into hibernation until warm weather returns!

Ming used to run laps around Chia, our first chow. By that time, she was blind, but she'd sit there in the back yard and I swear he used her as a pylon!!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

It was 13 degrees this morning for our 5:00am walkies, Maxwell aka Mr. Putz took even longer, He is so happy, Yoshi jumped in his pool, it was frozen solid, he slid to the edge jumped out and sniffed the ice. Poor guy, I am going to have to find a swimming pool heater for him.

David
fergie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fergie »

That is so funny. We have noticed our baby chow do the same thing. We have never seen her so happy to go outside. She runs around the yard, leaping like a deer. The only time she acts like that is when we bring her to the dog park. But it's totally opisite for our JRT she has just been laying around the house sleeping all day.
Thanks Sweatpea
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.
Tabatha
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Alf & Millie love to go crazy after they've pottied sinced it's gotten colder. Millie really suffers in the heat (oddly, Alf does pretty well) & it's lovely to see her as playful as Alf again. She just hates the rain & will NOT walk on the wet grass.... pretty difficult for her as she'll only potty on grass / soil :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

These "chowiepoos" really are the funniest creatures ever to exist.
Yep, as the cold is creeping in...Mr JR and Missy Cheyenne are zooming again and sticking their noses up each other butts more than usual {other than eating..butt sniffing seems to be their favorite pastime now}.
I absolutely HATE the cold now that I am growing older.....who knows this might be our last year in the land of snow and ice. I need to have a long chat with JR and Cheyenne.

Oh how I love Chow Chows...they add so much to a day.

Sharon and her brats

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

The Southern Girls do zoomies everyday with the Boxer Lily even if it is HOT outside....they do love the cooler weather as it is now in the lower 70's during the day and the 50's-60's at night depending on which side of the lake your on. I guess if you have never had COLD or SNOW then you don't know any different. I wish I could bring them for some snowy fun though but I'm sure I would kill us all trying to drive in it :lol: Hey Sharon....Come On Down \:D/ Your furkids would adjust and you could drive us up North for some fun in the winter and we could all come back to our Sub-Tropical weather :wink: Dogdad I still think you must have a screw loose walking in COLD that could freeze your ummmm nose off :lol: :lol: You make me COLD just thinkin' about it :shock:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

LOL We northerners are tough, Besides I don't stroll around in my speedo's , Neighbor women would follow us. :lol: The boys go commando, and have quite the following among the neighborhood fur girls.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Can't imagine the neighbor women following anyone in a Speedo when its 13 out Dogdad :lol: :lol: But I'm sure the boys do get the neighborhood fur girls attention :-oo

Thanks Sweetpea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I went and got new boots for the winter so I'm almost ready, the chows are more than ready. Dreamdancer actually did zoomies the other night, he hasn't for a while. And both of them want to do it more in the hallway. It's so fun to watch them. Do your chows stand facing the wind with big smiles on their faces while your nose freezes off? Mine do! I'm hoping for more snow pictures this year....
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Hey David...maybe you should put your furboys in chow Speedos...now that would make the national news and pictures.

Sharon and the brats

JR AND CHEYENNE

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Victory wrote: Do your chows stand facing the wind with big smiles on their faces while your nose freezes off? Mine do! I'm hoping for more snow pictures this year....
yes mine love standing in the wind sniffing with big grins on their faces, also sticking their snouts in the snow and rolling in the snow. speedos on chows it is undignified. Speedos on me just scary.....
chris

Post by chris »

David, you know how they name seasons and then you have the "weather watch".... It should be.."Zoomie Season" with a "Zoomie watch" or Zoomie Warning. LOL :-)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Lol you are right
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Right now I would like to put a speedo over Cheyenne's mouth.
She has been doing her wolf howls everynight....A LOT!!!!!! Then she and JR both run over to the cupboard where i keep the leashes. I'm still not quite up to taking them "walkies" everynight yet...close but not quite. 110lbs of stubborn fur trotting down the street still gives a bit of a tug on my middles. However, since I received my very generous gift of 2 lost leader harnesses from Phyllis and Katalin I must say that the walks are so much easier for them and me.
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

I have tropical Chows. They're starting to go into hibernation mode. They would run out to go potty in the morning and then run right back into bed. I think I have the only Chows in the world not liking the cold. #-o #-o
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Tess becomes impossible to get inside in the cold weather. She would stay outside until she froze to my parent's back porch. Fiona likes the cold and will walk forever, where as over the summer, she would walk 15 minutes and was ready to go back inside. Tacia, my collie, hates the cold. She sleeps most of the time now anyway, but she has never wanted to stay out in the cold.

Unfortuantely, Fiona has yet to do zoomies. I keep hoping she will, but I have never seen one. She will run if I chase her, or if I get too far away from her at the dog park, but no zoomies.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Dogdad wrote:It was 13 degrees this morning for our 5:00am walkies, Maxwell aka Mr. Putz took even longer, He is so happy, Yoshi jumped in his pool, it was frozen solid, he slid to the edge jumped out and sniffed the ice. Poor guy, I am going to have to find a swimming pool heater for him.

David
believe it or not a couple of years ago it got down to about 22 degrees and Shiloh's pool froze over, too. When we got back from our run, she went to jump in her pool and looked like Surfer Girl :lol: she managed to jump out and we broke up the ice but she decided she didn't want to try that again...of course, today we are in the high 80's #-o ...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

David, I still can't believe that you take walks at 5am! This morning we woke up at 5:45 (oh I mean the chowlings woke me up) and I've been dragging all day! You northerners are tough!
Natasha
and
Cue
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Where I live, it gets cold, and lots of snow. Where David lives, he starts a month earlier, and it stays cold weeks later than us in the spring. He truely is in the great white north. It is funny, how we can differentiate cold from frigid to OH MY GOD IT'S COLDER THAN MAN CAN SURVIVE!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

AuddyMay

I think it is even worse in Minnesota. It is something like the heat, you deal with it, rather have it too cold than too hot.
It is a balmy 23 degrees this morning. Walkies should be nice. We are supposed to get more snow this week, should I send you some like last year :lol:
David