Raincoat

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Raincoat

Post by Coco Chow »

It's raining outside and it's going to be a pain to walk Coco for the next few days.
I was wondering if any of you bought a raincoat for your chow?
Does your chow like it? Are you happy with it?
Any picture welcome too...
Thanks!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Raincoat

Post by Mia »

Elodie, I have the ONLY chows that could care less if it's raining. In fact, the dirtier they can get, the better, it seems. Why, oh why, can't I have dainty chows?

Mia and Chutty will go out on to the deck in the rain, and lay down. Raincoats? I need to put them in a plastic bag and tie it at their necks. Somehow they would find a way to get their faces dirty.

Maybe my chows slept through that part in chow kindergarden!
Mia
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I have one too, a chow that doesn't care that it is raining. Try to give him a bath and you are evil :twisted: , but he can sit outside in the rain for hours. I just towel him off when he comes in, and enjoy the smell of wet dog /:)
SweetPea Rocks!!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Cheyenne thinks that rain and mud are even better than eating sardines and that is tough to beat. She comes in with her huge muddy paws drenched...water dripping like buckets from her belly and she stinks....I can just imagine trying to put a raincoat on her!!
JR goes out for necessity and then in he comes.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Tempest couldn't care less if it's raining, pouring, coming down in buckets, whatever. She just plows through everything. Ming, on the other hand, won't set one little paw out the door if it's within 24 hours of rain, either before or after. He'll "hold it" for 2 or 3 days if he has to, he hates rain that much!!!

I did try to get a raincoat for an earlier family member, never worked...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe has a raincoat but she dosn't like it. the raincoats don't work on chows anyway the head and tail structure pushes the coat to the middle of thier body so they wind up getting wet any way I found it to be more trouble and messy then its worth.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

Well Rocco is a "dainty" chow, who dislikes rain and wet/dirty ground. Our yard is lined with manor stone and when the grass is wet he only walks on the stones and touches the grass only to go potty. Since we live in the "When it rains, it pours" city (Portland) we found a rain coat that kind of works. It's a tad bit small for him so I am hoping to pass it on to Jewels this year and get Rocco a new one that fits better. If he were to go out during one of the many down pours he would look like a drowned rat...

We think they work pretty great, and they are cute too. Rocco doesn't seem to mind it either. I think he has realized that when he wears his rain coat he gets a longer walk. We also get out a towel and put it by the door for when we get back (for the feet and other parts that it doesn't quite cover). Over all I we are very happy with it.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Thank you all. :D

I have to admit it's hard to imagine Jeff trying to put a coat on Pekoe!! :lol:

Aware, what kind of raincoat do you use on Rocco?

I saw some that will cover the legs, some with hoods... They come in large sizes, so I'm sure I could get something that will fit Coco.
DRC-04.jpg
DRC-04.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 17820 times
I really like this one:
p2191-2192-2193.jpg
p2191-2192-2193.jpg (18.69 KiB) Viewed 17820 times

I'm not sure that my boyfriend will let me transform our chow in Mr Paddington though... :roll:
paddington.jpg
paddington.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 17818 times
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

We got ours at Petco. Basic yellow rain coat/cape thing.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=8552

Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry has a raincoat, although it's a little small now. He has no problems wearing it, however seeing as his paws still get wet he is still not happy about going out if it's damp outside. Just need to find him some wellingtons :lol:

I hope the phot link works :oops:
Thank you Sweatpea
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thats the same raincoat Pekoe has, see how the tail and big butt push the coat to the center of their back. Pekoe gets all wet wearing it anyway so I don't bother I just keep a bunch of towels by the door.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If Michael's Gwrol is Chow enough to sport one, I suppose they all are...

Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Thats the same raincoat Pekoe has, see how the tail and big butt push the coat to the center of their back. Pekoe gets all wet wearing it anyway so I don't bother I just keep a bunch of towels by the door.

Yep your right, it didn't happen so much when the coat was to big for Henry, but now it's a bit too small (largest size) he does still get pretty wet, so yep we have a pile of furkid towels by the doors too,
Thank you Sweatpea
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

My two have raincoats. Millie (of course) has 2 in different styles & colours...... Both of them would rather not wear them, pretty much how they feel about their harnesses to be honest.

Millie's 'camo to catch the squirrels' coat

Alf in the other style they have

I've never tried anything with fur etc as I thought it may make them hot.....
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Layla, where did you get that Camo raincoat? My fiance is in the National Guard, so my boy Carter is a camo boy. He has a camo collar now. My English Setter has the yellow ducky raincoat, but I don't think one like that would quite fit Carter.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

summer_rose03 wrote:Layla, where did you get that Camo raincoat?
Ummm, I want to say Petco... not 100% sure though. It says 'Dickens closet' on the label. Pretty sure it was Petco...
Thank you Elodie!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Ahh, ok. We don't have one here (plus I work at PS lol). I ordered him a camo rain coat from petedge.com. I can't wait till it comes in.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I will probably have to make this two posts because I can't figure out how to add them together, but here's a picture I've posted before. I'll repost Sullivan's reaction. We also got one for Gilbert and Charlie, all from a catalog (Dr. Foster's and Smith?). Anway, they all had the same reaction -- see my next post below. But Charlie and Gilbert's reaction made Sullivan act like it was no big deal and she was way cool for wearing it. My biggest regret with the raincoats is I'd wanted to get a picture of the three of them together and never did.
courtsey of Sweetpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Here is what Sullivan "said" the first time she wore her raincoat. Glad she can live on through her "quotations."

I am not wearing this thing in
public.
What if my friends see me?
What if my boyfriend, Havoc, sees me?
Mahhhhmmmmmmm!
Alright I'll wear it, but I'll
just lie down in the middle of
the street and refuse to go
anywhere until you take it off.
Oh, no you didn't!
Plop, splay, unmovable.
Chowlings, don't let your humans do this
to you.
But if they do, remember the mantra:
plop, splay, unmovable.
It could save your dignity.
Sullivan Maire Lillith Terry
courtsey of Sweetpea
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

it is true what Jeff says , rain capes for chows are a trouble,i got a big one , and had to trim it at the front because he stepped on it , and had to cut on the head hole so his head would go through it , he will wear it and go out in rain, i remember the first time he walked in rain , he had been a kennel show boy , and had NEVER been out in the rain , it started raining on a walk and he just stopped , 60 lbs [28kilo ?] of chow astounded by water falling from the shy.. i was pretty wet before we got back , he was not real lwet because of the considerable guard hairs..

if it rains for days on end the rain cape is useful , since he will not go out in the rain mush with out it , [unless there is something to chase]

a rain cape would be easier for a femalechow since the *plumbing* is different, there is an elastic supposed to keep the back end on and if one runs it under a males belly it *interfers * with the plumbing..

i think a properly shaped cape with snaps or velcro to close the front and under the chest would be good , have not found that unit .. under the chest is important since it keeps his belly dry..

i got that rain cape when we had a rainy spell and it rained for days.. its been a drought for a few years now so not much usage , as i recall european winter weather i think a rain cape for the stylish Parisian Chow would be an excellent idea.. perhaps the best process would be to get a nice sized water proof fabric of a pleasing print , then cut and fit , fit and cut , put some snaps or velcro on the edges.. ..
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

tried to put another pic of chow in rain cape with the hoody up however got this ...
""
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
""
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

bubba wrote:tried to put another pic of chow in rain cape with the hoody up however got this ...
""
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
""
Yes. Unfortunately it seems we have maxed out attachment quota's. If you would like to send me the photo through my personal e-mail addy, which you have, I'll post it here for you, Mr. B.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Oh Bubba I'm not sure I can make one by myself! :lol:
And thank you for all the info about raincoats. Having one that will protect the belly is a good idea I think. Coco's belly is always wet when it's raining.
Internet is great but I'd like to see the raincoat I will choose for her in person before I buy it. But everytime I see raincoats for dogs in a shop, they only have small sizes available, chihuahua type, on display. Are larger breed not suppose to get wet?? :roll:
I guess I'll have to settle for one found on the web...
Elodie
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I noticed dog.com has several different coats and they're pretty reasonably priced. I'm not sure how big Coco is, but I saw this one goes up to 24 inches. http://www.dog.com/item/london-trench-coat-espresso/ The only problem is there's no hood. There are others on the site that have hoods.

http://www.dog.com/Search.aspx?PageNo=1 ... 231g&sort=

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Thanks Fillyok, I love that trench coat, it doesn't have enough protection for heavy rain, but Coco would look SO chic for $7.99 only!!

Elodie