Someone Tried Our Door At 2 AM...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Someone Tried Our Door At 2 AM...

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

Being the night owl that I am... I was up last night around 2 am. I heard someone outside try to open our front door. Leroy heard it too. OMG...Ive never seen him so angry. He barked at the door for about a good 1o minutes. Not just the typical "whose there" bark...this was way different. Me being the scardy cat that I am...was frozen to the couch. LoL...cell phone in hand. Im so thankful for Leroy. I know he scared them away. I just wonder if he would actually attack an intruder. Any other stories like this?
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Someone Tried Our Door At 2 AM...

Post by NanouetJon »

I had a chow as a kid "Babe". A friend of the family showed up late one night after we had gone to bed (family). Well he knocked and turned the handle and our chow was barking, sounded like she had his arm in his mouth already.

As the friend opened the door a few inches to tell the dog everything was ok, she put her shoulder to the door and closed it. THUNK! She wouldn't let anyone in the house until one of us got up to check and agree to let the friend in! As we were all asleep, I am sure NOONE was coming in!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good for Leroy! It's nice to know you have him for protection, isn't it?
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Good job Leroy!!! I am always scared when my two bark at night. They never bark unless there is a reason so it always give me the chills!! :shock: I have always thought Chows were an excellant deterant for burglars and worse. I have a sign on my fence and one of those 'save in case of fire' Chow stickers on my entry doors. Glad he scared them off but I would check my locks and be really careful and extra vigilant! Be safe!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Good job, LeRoy!

Shiloh can be asleep next to the couch when we're watching TV and all of a sudden she'll jump up barking at the front door.
We go out and investigate - sometimes it's because a neighbor has dropped a flyer off on the porch (didn't ring or knock at the door), sometimes I think it's
someone walking their unleashed dog & it's come up on our porch.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well done Le Roy!!
What a good boy guarding his family. =D= =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I bet they'll think twice about coming to your house again. Good boy Leroy.
ImageImageImage
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Gilbert would bark, but then he'd hide in the bathroom until the intruder went away.
courtsey of Sweetpea
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Well done LeRoy,
Last wednesday, at 1.30am Rex and Dixie who sleep outside on the veranda, suddenly went mad, and it was not a friendly bark, this was a get out of our yard bark, Chrystal and Roxie sleep inside, and Chrystal also barked which is very unusual for her, she never barks, and when she does we know that something is not right, little Roxie, even sound asleep let rip as well, We got up to see who was there but In South Africa, you dont go out side, as they all have guns, We put all the lights on, and I said to Robin, leave the dogs, let them bark, all went quite for a while, and then again at 2am they went mad again, then all quitened down. I did not see any one but it was to dark, and we are in the middle of the bush. The following morning I found our front gate had been opened, and left open, so we know that someone was trying to get in, if it had not been for Dixie and Rex, who knows what might have happened. Well done my dogs, you might have saved our lives. Love you lots and lots.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

carolyn dewrance wrote: if it had not been for Dixie and Rex, who knows what might have happened. Well done my dogs, you might have saved our lives. Love you lots and lots.
Carolyn
I know exactly how you feel. I never looked at Leroy as a guard dog...but I do feel a whole lot safer knowing how protective he is.

Do you think our dogs, being as protective as they are, would attack/bite an intruder? Or maybe their bark is bigger than their bite lol. Either way....Im so proud of him. I just wonder how far he would take it.
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I think it really depends on the dog and how threatening they think the person is. When I was a toddler, our chow "Chowwy" attacked my dad when he came in really late one night. He still had his military uniform on and his face was all covered up plus the darkness. As soon as the door opened, Chowwy's mouth was hooked onto my dad's arm. He still has the scar. As soon as my mom came out turning the lights on and Chowwy saw who it was, he let go.

Baloo was much more reserved. If someone came in that he didn't know with no one around, he would bark and growl while backing up but until he felt the wall behind him or saw the person try to hit one of us or Baloo himself, he didn't feel threatened enough to even show his teeth. Baloo did step in a few times while I was wrestling with my dad or cousins though. If I said ouch or anything, he'd be right there in the middle giving the other person "the look" to back off. If they didn't immediately, he started to show his teeth and as soon as that would happen, the other person would know he was serious and not to push him anymore even though we were messing around, Baloo saw it as the other person trying to hurt me.

I think they try to be as reserved as possible if they're brought up socialized but if they really needed to, I do think most if not all of them, would risk their own life to save their owner. Chowwy was a lot easier to tip off because he had been badly beaten for YEARS by a man before we got him so he was okay with my dad after awhile but never truly liked him and the fact that my dad looked more like the abusive owner that one night, goes to show. Chowwy did however let any of us girls do whatever we wanted to him. I was 2 at the time and my mom told me that I used to poke him in the eyes, pull his tail, and sit on his back so he'd carry me to bed every night. I feel kind of bad for doing those things now but Chowwy didn't seem to mind so my mom never stopped me. So every situation and every chow is different. I think their past does play a large role into it though.
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

When I was pregnant with my youngest, I was taking a nap on the couch and Chi-Ching was laying next to me on the floor, my sister came over and just walked in and Chi-Ching jumped up and barked and basically had her pinned against the wall, she was too afraid to move. He knew her well, but also knew she was not "invited" into the house. He never snapped or anything, just barked but not like a bark I ever heard before. As soon as I told him good boy and relax, he huffed and then came and sat down by me. My first instinct was to yell at him to stop but I also want him to know that he can be protective.

My sister said she was scared of him, but she ALWAYS knocks first now. And she is over all the time with no problem.

Good Boy LEROY!!!
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Darkwind was my friendliest chow, this was the dog that let seven strange kids run up to him, two of which fell on him and he didn't move a muscle, just laid there, this was the chow I took to the Ren. Fest. when I'd only had him for 4 months. He only barked twice in the four years I had him, and both times I KNEW he meant business, both times were while I we were home and there was someone in the hallway out side the door, both times it turned out that someone was ripping off the machines in the laundry and roaming the halls looking for someway in.

Would he have attacked the person, oh yeah, I'm sure of it. He was very subtle about how he guarded but serious. Once on the street, some guy was meandering down the street, and Darkwind got right in front of me, and pushed Firesong to the side away from this guy and once we were past the guy Darkwind stopped and waited until the guy was several yard away before he took his customary place beside Firesong.

Would Firesong attack someone, yep, she's lunged at one drunk jerk already. Will Dreamdancer yep, I have to watch him when we are walking at night because he gets supper protective at night, (Firesong used to be)

And the famous Pumpkin went after a guy in a tree at her house once...I believe she got a peice of him actually.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel have not attacked anybody - yet - but I do not doubt that they would if necessary.

They are the sweetest little creatures ever - but - they too have different barks from their "for crying out loud shut-up and go away" bark which they use when children are running and screeching during the summer holidays around the back of us where there is a strip of grass and shrubbery to their "come on, hurry up and see us" bark to the postman when he rides his bike into the avenue. Then there is their "who are you, what are you doing, why are you going there" bark when a stranger is in the avenue visiting for example, one of our neighbours and finally their " who the hell are you - in fact just b****r off this minute or we will carve you up" bark when they see somebody they take a dislike to.

When we are out for a walk they will always watch our backs and when somebody passes us going the opposite direction, whey will stop and watch until the person is a good step away before they will carry on with their walk. 8)

So chow chows are amazing and very protective. \:D/ \:D/

Hector, on the other hand, will sound off when he hears something but when he is out on his walk with me he is so busy reading his route and enjoying it that he can pass a person coming in the opposite direction without even seeing him/her. I have no doubt that if someone accosted me Hector would protect me and I certainly would not like to be the one up against his agility and body weight (or his teeth for that matter) but he is not as diligent as M & M and could, I think be surprised. I love him though! :wink:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Yeah except everyone was already sleeping. My dad said it was around 3:30am so he was trying to be really quiet. He thinks that and the fact that Chowwy couldn't see his face with his military uniform on is the reason Chowwy attacked. Chowwy didn't hear the normal key sound because my dad was holding the other keys so they wouldn't make the rattling noise because he knew if Chowwy heard it, he'd start doing his happy bark and would wake everyone up. So instead he was quiet and has a scar now. He likes to talk about the scar though. He says if Chowwy left that kind of scar on him, he can only imagine the damage he'd do to someone trying to harm the family. Chowwy was extremely protective though, I'd say he was an extreme case after all the abuse he went through, I guess he finally realized he had a loving family and was willing to do anything to protect us.

Then a few months later....

I was playing in the front yard (2 yrs old at the time) and my mom told my older sister to watch me for a minute while she ran in the house. Chowwy didn't see my older sister come out from where he was in the yard and the famous bad boy rottweiler of the neighborhood walked by. The rotty put one paw on our lawn about 10 feet away from me (so the owner told my mom) and Chowwy ripped his huge stake out of the ground (I can't remember how big it was but I remember my dad saying it was the biggest stake he could find) that he was chained to and attacked the rotty. I ran into the house screaming for my mom and by the time she got back outside, Chowwy had chunks of the rotty on the ground. The rotty's owner couldn't do anything. My mom thought Chowwy was going to get put down and she was going to have endless fines and medical bills to pay but instead the owner asked for a picture of Chowwy. He said that any dog willing to attack this rotty was okay in his book and he wanted a picture of how unharmed Chowwy was. My dad later found out and offered to pay the vet bills but the owner still refused. He said he would take care of everything because his rotty should have none better than the step on someone else's lawn especially with a child in the yard.

On a current chow note, I was in the shower Tuesday night and McKenzie (my rescue that has only barked twice since we've gotten her) started barking like crazy. She was going absolutely nuts so I figured something HAD to be up. I ran out of the shower, threw my robe on, and went to see her. She was barking like crazy at the front door so I was like great, someone must be rioting because of the election or vandalizing something (since that's all the news kept talking about and my neighbor that's a cop said all cops were on riot watch). But by the time I got shoes on and made myself appropriate to go outside because yes, I was scared, it was pitch black out and I had to run and get the flashlight, there was nothing there. I walked around the entire yard to check all the windows and the cars and looked for any signs of vandalism or any people and all I saw were the neighbors getting in their car. They do have a history of letting the kids sit in the car and honk the horn (for up to 30 minutes straight!!!) so I'm thinking the kids did something like that and it made her angry but they had stopped by the time I shut the water off or something. Regardless, I told her she was a good girl and thank you and it took her a few minutes but she calmed down after I opened the door and she saw that no one was at the door. So ha, if you saw the help me prove my dad wrong thread, it's just taking her a little longer than my dad thinks is allowed for her to get protective but she's doing great in my opinion and I love her anyway!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Interesting to note that a chow can win a fight with a Rottie! The only being Gilbert has any desire to beat up is Sullivan's former boyfriend, Havoc the Samoyed. We thought Gilbert was just protecting Sullivan, since Sullivan and Havoc were crazy in love with each other, but he went beserk the other day when he saw Havoc.
courtsey of Sweetpea
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I love reading these stories.

I have no doubt if someone tried to get in they'd be bitten.

Although, it's been five years and she still hasn't figured out doorbells on TV, LOL!