help w/ rescues

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

help w/ rescues

Post by chowkidz »

Not sure what to ask or how to start helping. I have been thinking about this for months and now i am only working part time until the end of the year and we are not planning on going anywhere for awhile, i think now would be the best time to see if i can help. I want to help with the chows that are being given up on. Right now i know i could only take one at a time but hopefully overtime i can do more. I am not looking to adopt but will help with holding them until a rescue can take them or a forever home comes available. Not sure if this is something that can be done. Can anyone either point me in the right direction or give my email address to someone who might want my help. Adopting Keyko was a great feeling but it still rips my heart out to see so many that are being pts because they are chows. I am in PA.

mwalter@readingconsumerproduct.com

Thanks
Michelle
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: help w/ rescues

Post by fillyok »

That's great that you're willing to help with those that need the most help. Have you checked with your local shelters? Maybe they'll put you as a breed-specific contact so when a Chow comes in they'll notify you. Not sure what else you could do, but I'm sure others will have great ideas for you. Good luck!!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Michelle,

I work full time and have two chows. I have recently worked with small dog rescue to help. I am so limited because Mia has so many health issues and Chutters is pretty vulnerable being blind. So, I can't really foster as much as I would love to. I am going to try to go to my local shelter and see what I can do, even if it's just to give some dogs some love.

Everytime I read about chows in need I feel miserable and useless. I have always planned to find a place where I can take in dogs who need help. I need to start somewhere. I feel so much the way you do - that I really need to find a way to help more.
Mia
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The shelter by me has a couple of purebred Chows that I thought about visiting (if they are still alive) but I know once I get involved ain't no Chow being put down with me around so it would turn in to a disaster, 2 chows today 3 chows tomorrow 2 more the next day it wouldn't work, there would be Chows running loose on the streets, "Run Chow Run" I would wind up in jail. Just like Chows, me and shelters don't mix so I just stay away.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I know what you mean - it scares the daylights out of me. I took in 5 dogs that were gonna be put down and it almost killed me. It was tough on my guys and they destroyed my house. It wasn't just that though, luckily I was able to get them placed, but I just can't do that and with chows it would be worse. I really would like to keep chows that no one wants - and although I love all dogs - chows are my weakness.
Mia
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

If you think you are strong enough to foster and then give them up, contact rescues in your area. There are rescues that would love to take in another but can't because they don't have a place for them. It would not have to be just chow rescues, Teddy came from a multi-breed dog and cat rescue. The rescue posted on here that if they could find a foster they would take him in. So I volunteered to foster. Turns out I am not strong enough to give up a chow. Oh, well he still found a home.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

I did try contacting the chow rescue in Lancaster PA 4 times since May and nobody ever got back to me. :evil: Not sure if i am strong enough to foster, i hope so, then i know i can keep helping. I guess in time the answers will come........ /:)
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
Chingshouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chingshouse »

Michelle, do you have any current pics of your new one?? I would love to see if she still looks like my Ming!! :)

Hubby and I plan to get into Chow rescue once he retire's....I am sure it will be hard for me to let any of them go!!! Good luck!!

Barb :)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

We got Molly from the chow rescue in Lancaster. It does seem to take an awful long time for her to reply, but don't give up. She was going to school too, last I knew and I think she is just really busy. I emailed her about once a week when I was looking to adopt one of her chows and she finally got back to me. You may have to fill out an application to foster, I'm not sure. Keep trying and she will probably get back to you. Good luck!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

chowkidz wrote:I did try contacting the chow rescue in Lancaster PA 4 times since May and nobody ever got back to me. :evil: Not sure if i am strong enough to foster, i hope so, then i know i can keep helping. I guess in time the answers will come........ /:)
Any multibreed rescues in your area? Or nokill shelters? Both use fosters and you can specify the breed in this area anyway.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

Hey there...just an idea...you could check with Linda at the West Texas Chow Rescue. She could tell you more about what it takes to do the resuces and put them up for adoption. She has a first-class rescue and probably knows all the ins-and-outs. Jut Google West Texas Recue. She's a really fine person and I'm sure would love to have some help for Chow resuces on the east coast.
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

thanks for all the suggestions.........hopefully something will work
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

How would you like to foster one of the ones needing a home? I bet there are members that would assist with transport and upkeep. Poor Mufasa keeps tugging at my heart...and those two in Georgia are too cute.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

acutally i have been talking to another member about the girls in GA. I would be more then happy to help with fostering them if i can get help myself when it comes to the rest of the important stuff that is needed.
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

That would be awesome! I'd help!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I am not good at fostering either, at least not with cats. I have had 4 cats come into my life that "I wasn't going to keep", but, guess what, I kept all of them. Leaving me with 10 cats (and NO MORE, lol). I haven't had the opportunity to foster dogs yet, but I am not sure how that would go. My friend and I are going to start a rescue for special needs and senior pets, so I will need to foster at one point.

With Carter, I fell in love with him from the instant I saw him and more so with every moment. Not just because he's like our Frisco, but just him. I know no matter how bad he was, I wouldn't be able to give him up. He came from a shelter 2 hrs south of me. I have no idea if they are a no-kill or what their policy is on "dangerous" breeds. Once I went down there and saw him, I knew I couldn't leave him there. Especially with him being Chow, I know he was probably at risk when it came down to who lived or died. I don't know what would have happened to him had I not adopted him, but I don't want to know. All that matters now is he's mine. I'm sure I will be able to foster dogs later and be able to give them up, but it's hard to think about it. Fostering is a great thing, but sometimes it takes a time or two (adoptions that is lol) before you can give them up. But,I suppose you just have to remember that by fostering and giving them up, you are making it possible to save one more life and find one more their forever home.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!