What are your chows' favorite toys?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

What are your chows' favorite toys?

Post by sdasilva27 »

McKenzie really liked her rope toy but it didn't last long because she just liked ripping the fringe like yarn pieces of out the ends of the rope.

I've been trying to find her a new toy because she's been getting a lot more playful lately. She won't even chew on a tennis ball, when a squeaky toy squeaks, she whines like she wants it and then when you go to give it to her, she backs away. We've been to 3 different stores and the only things she'll pick up are rawhide and yarn ropes toys like the one she had. I know rawhide is bad and the yarn worries me a little too because I had to pull out pieces from her mouth quite a few times. She won't take a bully stick or anything but I can tell she wants to chew/play because she goes straight to the rawhide bones and touches one with her nose and then sits, waiting for me to give it to her. I haven't given her one but I'd like to find something to replace this want of hers. She hasn't chewed on anything in the house so she's a very good girl and knows what is acceptable to chew on and what isn't. Although I wonder if she thinks it's not acceptable to chew on ANYTHING else even if it's offered to her?

What are some toys that your chows just can't resist? The only thing she can't seem to resist are chewy treats which don't last a second.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What are your chows' favorite toys?

Post by Mia »

Get her a nylabone. It is made of a heavy-duty plastic with a smell/taste of meat (depending on which type you choose) and they love it. They can knaw and chew on it and if they break little pieces off and swallow it, it's ok, because it's plastic and comes right out.

My guys LOVE them.
Mia
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Princess doesn't care for toys. She does like ropes, but rips them up, squeaky toys she removes the squeaky, stuffed animals she removes the stuffing, she does enjoy her nylabone.
Gracie loves her squeaky toys but she is very picky about the type of toy it is. Her toys have to be small, dainty, and soft. She walks around squeaking them, stomping on them, she really enjoys her little toys. Princess is pretty good to leave Gracie's favorite toys alone which is surprising. Its as if she knows they belong to Gracie. Once the squeaky stops working, Gracie wants nothing more to do with it.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Mine (minus Samantha) love anything stuffed and it's a double-bonus if they squeak a lot. They don't care for the rope toys or anything made of rubber. They also weren't a big fan of nylabones, but love bullysticks and rawhides. I think I'm one of the few on the board that gives rawhides. I'm always around when they get them though.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Butters is an old grouch. He hasn't played with a toy in 2 years. HE use to love to de-stuff and de-squeak anything. But now if you hand him a toy he runs for his life :roll:
SweetPea Rocks!!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I won't be of much help but...

Holden: Anything soft, squeaky, and looks like a real animal

Hannah: Squeaky toys then ropes then balls
ImageImageImage
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

Anyone herd of Antlerz?
http://www.qtdog.com/antlerz.htm
I have been trying to figure out a chew toy and Atlerz look like a perfect choice.

As for Rocco, he loves anything squeaky and has to find the source and rip it out along with all of the stuffing (most toys last maybe 20min). He loves pig ears (but I am not so sure they are ok). Ropes he will play with for about 2 seconds then they have lost their appeal.

Jewels is still afraid of pretty much anything that makes noise. But she loves bones!
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I guess I'll try a nylabone next because she definitely hates the squeaky toys which all your guys seem to love!

Should I get her the nylabones that say they are edible or the regular ones? Are the regular ones okay if she swallows pieces? Do the regular ones last longer because they're harder?

I remember seeing someone say that they knot up slices of felt or fleece or something like that and make homemade rope toys. Who was it?
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I make homemade fleece toys for my pack (mainly Tod). I cut strips of fleece and tightly braid them.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh, whatever you do, don't get the edible. Maybe I shouldn't say that. But, Mia swallowed large pieces of the edible, choked on some and then upchucked them. And, I was right there, the whole time. I couldn't see that she had bitten off such large chunks.

I like the non-edible - but whichever you get, stay with them until you can determine how they eat them.
Mia
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Buddha LOVES his rope, he grabs it and tosses it in the air (he does, not me LOL) and catches it, and then will toss it across the room and run after it (yes he plays "fetch" w/ himself). He hasn't played w/ it much since Annie has come though.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Both mine love their nyla bones (NOT THE EDIBLE ONES, those are made of some weird stuff) , you have to be careful and give them the nyla bone one size up from their real size though, because chows have such strong jaws and bite that they can go through a too smal nyla bone (or rawhide) very quickly and that can cause problems, like if they say for medium dogs, get the one for large dogs. My two love to play with their nyla bones, including tossing them in the air so the go THUMP! on the floor.

They also have small soft squeaky toys, I have been getting the better quality ones lately and they seem to last longer, Firesong looks cute carrying her little drake around the house, or her bone shaped pillow. Dream likes the more chewy things, like my old tennis shoes. :lol: he's a good boy though he only takes the ones I give him, not the others.

they crack me up with their toys, they love to toss them and carry them around, they play with them like cats.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
schnauziechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by schnauziechow »

Fav toys of my chows are Mini Schnauzers! :mrgreen:
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Haley doesn't do toys. Cara's favorites are ropes, stuffed "things" and lately the hide-a-squirrel.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Cinder has no interest in toys except rawhide and I don't give those to her since she choked on a large piece she tore off. My first and only time with the chow hiemlich.

Teddy loves stuffed toys with squeakers, nylabones and was very interested in a squeaky rubber toy at wooffest. He just carries his toys around or sits with them in his mouth. He seems to be chewing them but they never get torn.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Ivana likes stuffed animals. No squeakies or anything in them. Really you just have to buy a bunch and give them a try. Eventually, she will let you know. Allot of people swear by the kongs and rawhide bones. But I think just like humans every chow is different.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

As a baby, Coco loved her squeaky frog.

But since I gave her the squeaky duck, it's been her favorite!

And it still is!

She loves plushed squeaky toys...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

If you don't like traditional rawhides ( I don't either), try the granulated chews. They don't last long, but they are way safer then any other rawhide, in my opinion. They break into little pieces when they chew on them, so there is no risk of choking. It was the only kind of chew Frisco was allowed to have.

Also, with toys, have you tried a Kong toy with treats or peanut butter in it? Most dogs will play with them if there is a good in there for them to get at.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Chloe's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chloe's Mom »

Chloe loves her Kong and squeaky toys. Some of those squeakies have met gruesome deaths (torn apart) but she loves 'em anyway.

The camel (left) and chicken (right) are both missing the bulk of their stuffing and their squeakers but she still loves to play "keep away" with them with me (she'll toss part of them onto my lap to get the game going...usually when I'm trying to read the paper after work :? )

For some odd reason she has taken a liking to a small storage bowl (a Rubbermaid thing) that I thought I had lost. I found her sleeping with it the other day. I took it away, cleaned it (it's marked for her now for her food treats) and she found where it had been stored and took it back. :shock: :roll:
Chloe says "Yes it is all about me."
Cinders mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cinders mom »

Cinders enjoys rawhides to chew on. She will not play with any toys. She does enjoy real "live" toys, like armadillos, she loves to chase and pounce on them. She will take one in her mouth and proudly prance around the yard with it. :?
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

Bear was not interested in toys until he got older but now he likes smaller toys. Anything he can throw back over his head will work for him. He has a blast just throwing things around. He also loves to steal my tupperware and plastic water bottles that the kids leave lay and chew on them. He does not like squeak toys at all. He will start crying if he hears the squeak toys.

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I have to say that my guys, aside from their nylabones, love their squeeky toys. It's now a challenge for me to get different sounding noisy toys. We have a elephant that makes an elephant bellow, a fish that makes bubble noises, a groundhog that makes a snort, a frog that ribbits, a piggy that oinks and the various many squeekies.

The treat them so gently, never chewing or ripping, just finding and making it make noise and then falling asleep with them. I have given them kongs with peanut butter and we have all the kongs, but those are the only toys that don't really interest them. Funny - I guess every kid is different.
Mia
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Shuggy loves all stuffed toys and he doesn't de-stuff them. They also like combo rope/stuffed toys...ones that have rope arms/legs and stuffed bodies. Shuggy will play with anything... balls, rubber and stuffed squeaky's...anything but kongs and nylabones. Chloe likes this round flat thing I bought that is hard rope around the outside and cloth design on the inside (like a frisbee sorta) She also tosses toys...thought she was the only one :D . She will sling it back over her head...too cute! :lol:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Stuffed toys last 5 minutes or so(even the expensive ones) , we gave up on those after spending ,careful estimate,200 dollars on them.(Tara the toy poodle has the same duck Coco has and I 'd love to tell you what she does with it but that would get me banned from the forum)
Cheyenne loves her Nylabone,she'll lay right behind my chair in the computer room with it for hours.Cinnamon does not care for chew toys,she chews her nails.
No more rawhides,cause they ALWAYS fight over those.
They both like to play tug of war with their baby blankie.They had a floss rope period,but grew over that thank God!Those things lasted about a day and it would take two days to clean up the mess.
Cheyenne loves to play with her tennisball,she'll throw it around,of she'll try to get Cinnamon to join her and they'll take turns picking it up and "accidentally" drop it in front of the other.
But most of all,they like to play with eachother.They wrestle,nibble,pull,shake,chew,and amazingly enough,nothing ever comes off!!! =D=
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

So after asking my question a few days ago, on Friday, McKenzie decided to try and pick up her blankie. It's an old comforter that I folded into a bed size for her and she enjoys laying and especially sleeping on it. I was reading and looked up to see her mouth full of the blankie so I told her to leave it and she dropped it. Then I went to the store. I got her a nylabone and picked up some fleece. Cut it into strips and then braided it. She LOVES them! I ended up making her 4 of them and she kept taking the next one and hiding it under her front legs while playing with the first one I gave her (like she was trying to save it for later). She doesn't toss them or anything, she likes to pull on the ends to see how long she can stretch a piece. She also likes when I dangle it and shake it, she tries to grab onto one of the ends. The nylabone wasn't a hit. It seems that she only likes edible things or things that she can pull on/stretch out. So I guess we're sticking with the fleece because she won't go near stuffed animals or squeakies or even the kong.

Thanks for all the suggestions. All of our furkids are so different!