Khana's new career

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Khana's new career

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Khana has officially stepped into her new career as a Service Dog.

I decided several months ago that we needed to complete the training to make her into an actual Service Dog. She already had all the obedience training and socialization she needed to handle being out in public areas without a problem - the third level of training is training for specific tasks geared to assist the owner. For me, that meant picking up items I dropped when my hands were bad; bringing the phone; bringing items I indicated (like my shoes); standing still while I used her to help balance; and pulling forward on command to help me get up if my knee stiffened while I was sitting.

She'd already been taught to retrieve and so all of that work has gone very smoothly, as did standing still for me to balance. Pulling forward has been a bit more difficult as she's been taught NOT to pull, but it's worked out well too. Overall she took to all the training eagerly and happily (and she loves the treats she gets when she does things).

So now she has her Service Dog pack, properly labeled with patches that say "Service Dog" and "Don't Pet Me - I'm Working". We've been venturing out a bit more into the stores and today went to a large grocery/pharmacy/household goods store (called Three Bears - they might only be in Alaska). I had a prescription to drop off and it was going to be 20 minutes, so we walked clear over to the other side of the store to get a bag of Yummy Chummies (salmon treats for dogs). We went through the meat section and Khana was so good - didn't even try to reach up and sniff! She does so well while we're in motion - walks calmly along as if proud to be carrying a Service Dog pack.

Our only real problem is when we stop and wait. Then she starts looking around and sees people who are looking at her - which, to her, means that they should immediately come over, introduce themselves and pet her. So she starts to whine a bit. We're working on that. She should wait quietly and she's such a social thing that it's very difficult for her to understand why everyone isn't petting her. But she can't be petted when she's in working mode - she's to respond to me only and not others. All the behaviors she's been taught are easy for her. Not getting petted by everyone is tough! People have only broken the rule twice. Once it was someone I know, a fellow dog person, who came over and scratched around her ears before I could say "don't pet!", and the other was my doctor. We stopped there today to pick up the prescription and she came out and sat down to talk to me, and Khana looked at her with those lovely eyes and the doc reached out to pet her without even thinking. Khana is so enticing to people .. *L*

Anyhow, just wanted to share the news that there's a chow out there actually doing service work. I'm really proud that she's stepped into this role so smoothly. It wasn't my intention to do service work with her but it will be a couple of years before my young GSD will be settled enough to have her brains working properly (she's a WILD thing). In the meantime, Khana is doing beautifully and is proving to the world that chows are more than just eye candy .. *LOL*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
... I took a photo of her in her pack but it didn't turn out well - will try to re-take maybe tomorrow.
Auddymay

Re: Khana's new career

Post by Auddymay »

Nice to see you post, and hear the news about your Khana. Pretty, and smart! Congrats on your achievements, you two!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

That is so cool Melanie. Khana is so good and smart. It's great to see a "working" chow in public especially since there are a few being used in advertisements lately, that may increase their popularity again and it would be great if people REALLY understood them.

Good Girl Khana!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

I am so excited for both of you! It is outstanding that you have a Chow for a service dog, what an ambassador for the breed. I can only imagine the looks you get with a beautiful Chow for a service dog =D= . I'm in Southwestern Ohio, and I don't run into many other Chows at all, most people around here are fearful. But I live in a small town, and close to Cincinnati, where they seem think dogs are bad, and have almost banned Pit Bulls. Congrats!
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

What a great ambassador!
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

It's great to hear that Khana is doing so well as a service dog!! Chows are wonderful in SO many ways!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

So cool! I love the idea of a working chow out in public.

I had originally intended to train Cinder as a therapy dog because she loved going to school so much and learned so quickly. She never got over being head shy, though so that was out of the question.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

It's great news that Khana is being a wonderful ambassador to the breed as well as being a big help to you. I had to laugh when I read about your doctor just instinctively reaching down to pet Khana...it would be difficult to keep your hands off of her when she's so adorable and doing such a good job.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Thanks, everyone! I'm really proud of her. In some ways she takes to working as a Service Dog naturally, in other ways she has to really try hard. I'm lucky that she is naturally sweet and kind and accepting, and is truly a nurturing soul. She WANTS me to be happy.

It's really difficult for people to resist petting her, which is why I specifically chose the patch that says "Don't Pet Me - I'm Working". As we all know, our chows are TOO CUTE .. *L* .. and with Khana's temperament it's obvious that she wants to be petted. So people reach for her without even thinking. I don't mind that when she's out of uniform (so to speak) but as a Service Dog she has to keep her mind on work.

When I was waiting for my prescription yesterday, I found myself massaging her neck - something that helps keep her quiet and also helps my sore hands! There's nothing quite like that warm, thick chow mane to help ease the pain in sore fingers. Khana is a "multi-use" chow .. *L* .. I sure love this girl!

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Awwwwww!!! I'm sooooo glad Khana is doin' a good job, and I couldn't resist trying to pet her either :lol: :lol: She is a wonderful ambassador to the breed =D= Can't wait to see pics of her at work!!!! Nice to see you posting again. I have been wondering how things were goin' up there with you and the gang :D
Kearra & Kyra send you their LOVE & PURPLEKISSES :inlove: They have been doing GREAT thanks to you Melanie & all your help \:D/

Thanks Sweetpea!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

=D= =D= =D= That's soooooo cool Melanie. You should be very proud of her. What a great ambassador for the breed . I can't wait to see the photos.

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Dang it, I posted a response and then got an error message and it all went away! *L*

Here's a quick photo of Khana with her pack - not a great photo, but she was wondering why we weren't heading out (we always GO somewhere when I put her pack on). Posing for a photo is not nearly as fun as going into town.

vicster - glad to hear your girls are doing good!

chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Melanie,

She certainly has an expectant look on her face: "C'mon Mom, I'm ready now!" She cuts a stunning figure in the pack. I love her coloring, she looks like she could be Teddy's sister.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Congradulations to both you and Khana =D=
that is quite an acheivment for a Chow being as stubborn as most are :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Today was especially tough for Khana as we went to the big grocery store with all the tantalizing smells. We went through the bakery area and one of the checkers intercepted us. I saw her looking at us and then she headed out from around the counter and I thought "oh boy, here comes the questions!" *L*. Legally they can ask if she's a Service Dog, but they can't question me about my disability. The woman got almost to us and asked "can I help you with something?" and then I think she noticed Khana's SD patches. I smiled and said "I'm just looking at the muffins" and she said "okay" and went back to her counter.

We went off to the deli area where the Chinese food is and got some teriyaki chicken. That was a little tough for Khana as there were SO many good smells! She's trying hard to resist but her nose drifts sideways once in a while. And then we went down the dog food aisle - I'd never noticed before, but they put those "meat patty" type of dog foods along the bottom shelves, right within smelling distance! *LOL* And right as we turned into that aisle, someone came up and asked me a question about chows. Khana was very tempted by the smells and got in a quick sniff before I stopped her, but then she waited patiently as the lady and I talked about chows.

I heard several people comment on the dog - one little girl kept shouting "there's a fluffy dog, Daddy, a fluffy dog!" *L* But I am finding that it's best not to make eye contact with people. If I look at them, then many want to come over and interact and that becomes difficult for both Khana and I. It's hard for Khana because she's not allowed to interact with them, and hard for me because I'm in pain and just want to get in and out of the store as fast as possible. As it was, by the time I reached the check-out counter I was really hurting - my right knee has been acting up and both hands were aching badly. My money was in Khana's pack and as I was getting it out the check-out gal wanted to know what my dog did for me, so I was explaining how she carried items I needed, picked up things, etc. She looked down at Khana and said "wow, that's really neat!". I think that most people haven't had much contact with Service Dogs and they're just really curious.

Even though she's had the training, there's still a period of adjustment for the "real-time" work to settle in. You just can't simulate a grocery store setting, with all those smells and people and noise, in a training setting. And in Alaska, the stores don't have to let an SDIT (Service Dog In Training) into their stores unless the person training it is certified by the state - and I don't know of ANYONE certified by the State of Alaska to train SD's. You can train a dog on your own but you can't actually take them into the stores until they're actually being used as Service Dogs. It's kind of strange! So while she's "officially" an SD, every day is still a learning experience.

I have to say that Khana's really enjoying this, though. Now when we stop somewhere, she's at my side ready to get out of the van. She'd prefer not to mosey along - she likes to go FAST - but she's done wonderful at learning to walk slowly by my side. When the pack is on, she becomes more serious. And then when we get home and the pack is off, she goes back to being Miss Wild Thing, leaping on the other dogs, biting their legs, rolling around on the ground and just being silly!

WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

Awwwww what a wonderful dog. Congrats on her being so helpful in taking care of you. What an angel!
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

wow melanie. congrats to you and khana. what a proud mom you must be. sorry to hear that you are not feelin so well, though.
glad to hear from you.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Just absolutely amazing - you both are incredible.
Mia
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Khana looks great and ready to go!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Thanks, everyone! Khana sends a warm "woof" in appreciation for the comments too!

We ventured out a couple of times this week. On Tuesday we went and voted. I could hear people giggling as we were in the little voting booth and I looked down to see that Khana was standing beside me, her front end inside the booth and her fuzzy rump on the outside of the curtain! People were definitely amused by that.

Today we went into the grocery store to get a prescription filled and pick up a few supplies. People are just so drawn to Khana - when we first walked in and were waiting to get a cart, a tiny child (talking, but barely) was in the child seat of a cart and kept pointing at Khana and telling her Dad, "Doggie, Mommy! Doggie, Mommy!" .. *LOL* .. her Dad just said "Mommy's not here" as he walked away. I think the little girl was just so mesmerized by Khana that she wasn't even focusing on who she was with!

I'd picked up the groceries I wanted and then sat in the waiting area as my prescription had another ten minutes or so before it would be ready. Khana was laying quietly at my feet and yet eyeing the people in hopes of enticing someone into interacting with her (she's SUCH a hussy!). A lady came over and sat across from us and asked me about the training that Khana had to go through in order to be a Service Dog. She was a really interesting lady and we had a good talk about dogs overall (she rescued a couple of wolf hybrids). And as we were visiting, a young woman came up and said, "I know it says 'Do Not Pet', but can I PLEASE pet your dog?" *LOL* I had to say no, but it was hard. I just have to maintain Khana's focus and when her pack is on, she's working and not socializing. Come to find out, the young woman was the daughter of a woman who raised Australian Cattle Dogs and who had come to some of my training classes in the past.

I'm finding that having Khana out like this is giving me more opportunity to talk about the Chow breed and their proper personality and temperament. I have people asking me "well, aren't they mean dogs?" and then I can talk about what makes a good breeder and how Chows were over-bred due to popularity and that the breed is still paying for the problems developed back then. I can talk about proper socialization and training and ways to bring out the best temperament in a dog. It's just such a great opportunity to educate people about the breed overall without making everyone want to run right out and get a Chow (I make sure to mention the high level of independent thought and the resulting difficulties in training that go with that independence! *L*).

We came home and relaxed for a bit, laid down and watched some TV. Khana "spooned" with me - she is a girl that really likes to spoon! She jumps up on the bed when I'm laying on my side watching TV, walks up along the little strip of bed in front of me, plops down and wiggles over onto her side, and then pushes me back until she's got enough room. Then she tips her nose back over her shoulder and looks at me until I start rubbing her belly, which makes her groan in contentment. She'll lay there snuggled up against me for a long time, with her feet hanging off the bed and her back getting very warm against my stomach. And now, as I type, she is laying against the legs of my chair. She takes her "job" of caring for me very seriously!

sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Hi Melanie,

Well done to you both. This is such great news that Khana is working so well.

Doesn't Khana come from Zola? If I recall correctly Zola has another girl, a cream girl, whose call name I think is Moxie, who is also a service dog. Her human has worked with her for her (the humans' needs) as well as they both do "performances" together - I got the chance to observe this in 2006 at the Olympia Washington Nationals.

Chows are "difficult" to train because they have such busy minds, get easily bored and have such inquisitive natures. It is indeed a tribute to you both that you and Khana are working so well together so quickly.

Cheers,
Judith-Ann
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Melanie,
It's so great to hear about Khana helping you as a service dog. It's wonderful to hear that her talents will be able to help you.
Hugs to Melanie and the gang.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Thanks, Judith-Ann and Karen!

Yes, Moxie is another one from the Redcloud lines. Khana was bred by Judy Allen of Clos de Lion kennels in Ontario, Canada, but her father is a dog owned by Zola Coogan and Paula Titon (Ch Redcloud Bagua of Tienshan). Khana's dam also is heavy in the Redcloud lines. I'm really pleased with these lines overall and if Khana is a representative of what they offer, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to others. And then next on the list would be your chows - I've heard nothing but good about the pups you produce!

Khana and I took a trip to the store again yesterday and it was not her best performance .. *L* .. she got really distracted inside and just wanted to visit with people. And it didn't help when a cashier came up, talking to her while eating Dorito chips .. *L* .. of course, Khana thought she was wonderful and then the cashier leaned down and started petting her. It's frustrating getting people to understand that they're not supposed to pet. Maybe she needs a sign on her that says "PET ME AND MY OWNER WILL BITE YOU"!

I'm learning so much about how to deal with having a Service Dog. It's wonderful having Khana's help and support, but the people are driving me crazy. I've learned to use the "leave it" command when Khana looks at someone and they act like they're coming toward us. I say "leave it" and it stops the people from coming forward .. *LOL* .. and it also helps bring Khana's focus back to me. While they think I'm saying it for her benefit, I'm really saying it to stop them.

I dropped my keys in the parking lot and she picked them up for me. I had to ask her a couple of times, though .. she knew we were headed into the store and the newness of that hasn't worn off yet. Once she is more accustomed to it, her response will be better. At home she picks up anything I ask for (even brought me my clothes the other day - had to drag the pants, but she got them to me!).

Melanie and the Service Chow
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Not sure how I missed this post... That's great news about Khana's new career. Great work Melanie. I'm forever telling Alf he needs to find a job to pay for his bully sticks.

Did you attach anything to your keys to make it easier for Khana to pick them up? Alf doesn't seem to like the metal in his mouth....
Thank you Elodie!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Doesn't Khana come from Zola? If I recall correctly Zola has another girl, a cream girl, whose call name I think is Moxie, who is also a service dog. Her human has worked with her for her (the humans' needs) as well as they both do "performances" together - I got the chance to observe this in 2006 at the Olympia Washington Nationals.

yes,Moxie is from Zola and she is a service chow too.Moxies Mom is a trainer and has a special training class for Chows Only 8)
I have the pleasure of working with Moxie and her Mom at those classes.
both Moxie and her Mom are amazing :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".