Help me prove my dad wrong

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Help me prove my dad wrong

Post by sdasilva27 »

So as many of you know, I'm still quite young and my parents/sisters are still greatly in my life. You may also know that ONE reason that I decided to get a chow was to help guard the house. With the ways things have been lately, crime is on the rise and my fiance works full time 6-3 every weekday and then goes to college afterwards. Sometimes he doesn't get home until after 9 or 10. So I was beginning to get a little worried being home by myself.

My question is mainly for those of you that have adopted rescues before but others can feel free to join in.

I've had McKenzie for 5.5 weeks now. She's barked 3 times total (once was a whine that turned into a bark to let her out of her crate during the first week we had her, one was when she heard me get home one day, and the other was a few days ago when my fiance and I both left the house). She doesn't seem territorial at all. When strangers come over, she doesn't bark or anything, she actually tries to run away from them. Is there still hope for her becoming more of a guard dog? Will it just take more time? There's not anything that I can do, can I? I want her to bark when people she doesn't know approach the house but calm down after I tell her that they're okay.

So to prove my dad wrong: He keeps saying that after 5 weeks, she should be territorial by now and should be barking. And I forget exactly how he worded this but he has also mentioned that the females don't get as protective or territorial. I believe the second comment is absolutely false. The first, I'm not sure about.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help me prove my dad wrong

Post by Mia »

Mia didn't get territorial until about 7 months old and didn't really bark much until then. It really wasn't until she was a year old that she was old enough to feel the need to protect her home. Up until then, she was really just a puppy and was alternately fearful and playful, but definately not adult enough to feel that she could have a say in who came near or to the house. And, when she was younger, I don't think she knew that she wanted the job of protecting the house. Up until then, she was happy for me to do that.

I actually didn't think about wanting a guard dog - Mia just kind of took on the job by herself. But, I think it takes quite a bit of time for her to take over your role of the protector.
Mia
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Well McKenzie isn't a puppy, she's 2 but she was tossed around quite a bit. I don't know who originally had her but animal control came and took her away then she was at a shelter then adopted then returned to the shetler and then came to us. So I think between being tossed around and only being here for 5 weeks, her age doesn't really matter. My dad seems to think it does and that 5 weeks is plenty of time. I don't think he understands the life she led before I got her. I don't think she ever even stepped in a house before, or if she did, she was yelled at for it because she didn't want to come in our house at first.

I was just wondering what your takes on this were because he keeps saying "what kind of chow did you go and get?" My response is always a nice, calm chow.

The guard dog thing only occurred to me because I remember how nice it was that Baloo told us someone was approaching the house. I think I would have missed a lot of package drop offs if it weren't for him! I could never hear outside up in my room of the house.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I don't think it is an age thing as much as a comfort thing. The longer she is with you the more she will feel the need to protect you. As your bond with her grows so will the level of protection. 6 weeks(with you) for a rescue could very well still be a transition stage.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Yes, McKenzie is older, but I bet it will take a lot longer than 5 weeks for her to get acclamated to this being her house and comfortable enough with becoming territorial about it.

I know Mia's circumstances were different than McKenzie, but even though Mia was acclamated to my house being her home, it still took her a while. It may take many months for McKenzie to really, really feel that it is her home and what is allowed and what isn't. If she was afraid to come in, it may take a while for her to learn that it is her home now and a while for her to feel comfortable about protecting it. In her previous life, someone may have yelled at her for barking and now she may be hesitant to bark her warning.

Mia barks warnings to let me know someone is around. If I acknowledge that I understand what she is barking at, she stops immediately. So, she isn't really protecting, she's just being an alarm system. If I don't acknowledge what she's barking at, she keeps going until I tell her it's ok. But, I can tell that she's not as comfortable when I just say ok without actually looking at what she's talking about. She want's me to SEE what it is and then determine if it's ok.

There are different kinds of "guarding jobs" for dogs.
Mia
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

You must realize that you have a chow, not a dog, your Dad is thinking dog. Mckenzie needs to bond with you and for a chow 5.5 weeks is not nearly enough time, especially one that has been rejected by her humans at least twice in her life time. You must bond with her, that means being with her, training her, taking her for walks letting her know in every way possible that she has found her forever home. She must see your house as her house, right now she sees it as some place you live ans she's allowed, but she isn't convinced it's permanent. Mostly it takes time, it can take an adult chow up to 9 MONTHS to fully bond and see your home as theirs. Oh and females are more terriortial than males most of the time, (it comes with having a safe place for potential puppies)

I would ask if she makes eye contact with you, this is a good sign with chows, you want them to look at you, so I would talk to her a lot, talk to her on walks, stop and rest with her and talk to her, get her to look at you. With my Darkwind I made a command, "to me" and I would point at my eyes, when he made eye contact I would reward him. He also was 2 when I adobted him and had been on the street for a bit, it took about 6 months for us to fully bond. It may seem that this is a long time now, but if you are patient, persistent and loyal to her, you will end up with a fiercly loyal defender of not just your home, but yourself as well. She will protect you and yours to her last breath but unlike most canines that will do that easily, with a chow you must earn that loyality.

Also once she does it, she may not alert on every stranger, especially any she grows to hearing, (neighbors, frequent visitors etc) she will alert to strangers, in particular strangers that might not be nice people. She'll know the difference, she already does.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I have a Buddha and Annie, Buddha, we've had since he was a puppy and we rescued Annie in June. She HATES to be inside, we give her treats, etc, but she still refuses to sleep inside which we are working on. She is, at times a little territorial, but she hasn't really bonded w/ either my husband or myself, and she's very eager to please, so much that she doesn't care who comes near her as long as she gets a LOT of loving! So, we've had her for about 5 months, and she still isn't territorial, but we do see a lot of her chowiness coming back. I'm sure, like others have said, it will take time and patience! I'm sure that when it comes down to it, she'll know if something is wrong and let you know.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I think she's making great progress. I just wanted your opinions to approve my thinking because I've never had a rescue before. My dad has only ever owned chows but most were gotten as puppies, the one he adopted was from a friend that found the dog being beaten by a neighbor and was trained to fight (we think).

I play with McKenzie for 15 minutes when I first get home and then we walk for 20-30 depending on the heat (I watch her nose to decide when to go back home). I generally sit on the floor with her and when she first sees me sit on the floor, she comes over and throws her head into my lap or side. Then we play around and then she sits for my to rub her chest. While and after I do, she stares into my eyes. She was very scared to first come in the house, then was okay with it after 2 days and learned "go home" while we are walking, if I say "go home," she goes right to the front door. She's never really roamed around the house on her own, that I've seen unless she's following me around, which she does all the time. She doesn't want to be in a different room. Even when I go shopping and have to put things away, she follows me to each bathroom, the pantry, etc. I keep saying I wish I could teach her to help me carry things since she's coming with me anyway! She also lays at the edge of the kitchen when I cook and watches me go back and forth. She's now started to be more adventurous in the house, rather than just putting one paw in any room (other than the living room where she sleeps), she comes in and actually lays with us or sniffs around. She's started sleeping in the bedroom with us the past few nights and when I go to take a shower, she comes to check on me every few minutes. McKenzie has also growled and stepped in the way when other dogs at training try to jump up at me so I think she's beginning to be protective of me at least with other dogs which I think is a good first step in that direction. In my mind, next would come, guarding me against people, then the house.

All of this is great progress as far as I'm concerned, I'm starting to think that my dad just doesn't remember when we first got our other chows.

Baloo actually bit my sister the first day we got him, she backed him into a corner and yes, she did bleed. But it's not like he barked for some time, I don't remember how long and had never cared, I was only 12 when we got him. My dad got him because he was traveling a lot for work and my mom was scared to be home alone with us girls. He was an awesome dog and great at guarding but I know those things didn't start out that way. We had him for quite some time before I had the confidence that he'd give his life for mine.

I am extremely happy with McKenzie. My face just lights up when I see her everyday, no matter how bad of a day I've had. While one of my reasons to get her may have been for her to guard, now that my dad has hassled me about it so much, I don't feel like I ever care if she does. She does enough for me by just making me laugh and feel loved and needed.
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Both of our chows have been female. Our first one was with us from 12 weeks to 15 years old. Meka alerted us when someone was at the door and some folks were reluctant to enter because she sounded fierce. But once they started towards her she ran to be by my side, still barking. I wouldn't trust her not to bite someone if she didn't like them and they got too close to her.

Our current Chow, Mimi, was about 6 years old when we adopted her. It was 3 months before we ever heard her bark, and it took about 6 months to earn her trust. I am now her person of choice but hubbie is a close second. She "woofs" when she hears something but only barks if she hears the door opening. She is much friendlier than Meka but stills makes people hesitate before entering. Would I count on her for protection if I'm being harmed? The potential is there but I won't count on her. I hope I never have to find out for sure.

Try to earn your Chow's trust and don't try to make her a guard dog. Once she is comfortable she will let you know if she hears something strange.

Good luck.
Nita
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

My first chow, Chana, was at least six months old before I heard her bark. She talked all the time, snorting, huffing, haw hawing, etc. but no actual barking. When she was just over a year old Tasha, my second chow joined us. Suddenly there was a lot of barking, mostly at each other as they played.

Cinder, my first rescue and the black girl in my banner, came to me at least 4 years old. She barks at the drop of a hat. She barks at noises only she can hear, at the mail carrier, at the doorbell, at cars pulling in the driveway or trucks driving by. But her favorite thing to bark at is me, she barks to tell me she wants something (out, food, water, treats, treats, and more treats).

Teddy, my blind boy, the red chow in the banner barks mostly at squirrels, chipmunks and other dogs. My vet thinks he was about 3 when he joined us.

The girls were and are much more protective of me than he is. When my brother's 97lb lab jumped on me, just two weeks after Cinder (41 lbs) came to me, she had him upside down and was looking like she would disembowel him within seconds. Luckily we managed to separate them before any significant damage was done. With this little girl at my side, it's hard to be afraid of anything or anyone.

Teddy's been with us one year now and he has yet to act territorial with any humans that come in the house. But then again, he doesn't need to. Cinder takes care of that for him. I think I remember reading somewhere that if the newcomer feels the territory is being monitored by an another, he is less likely to become territorial himself.

Give McKenzie some time to become confident that she is in her forever home. Remember chows have long memories and she remembers being abandoned before. You mentioned training class. In my experience that was a wonderful bonding experience for me and my girls. Teddy and I haven't been yet and it is overdue.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Yes, we're doing an 8 week (once a week) training class. My fiance and I both take her because I didn't want her to become a one person chow. We alternate in the training and taking care of her but I am home more and have more time to play with her, give her loving, etc and she just took to me easier. She takes to all females easier, at the vets office and all. I think we're doing good and I'm very pleased with her. And if she never acts like a guard dog, oh well. My dad will have to either get over it or at least be quiet about it. She's my chow anyway.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I just wanted to verify my thought process so that I can ignore what he's saying easier.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I think of Molly more as a "watchdog". She barks a lot more than Dusty. Sometimes when I can't see or hear anything she should be barking about! When a different person comes that she doesn't know, she can sound quite ferocious. It took her quite awhile to be this way (she came from a rescue). I wish I could remember how long it took...maybe almost a year??. Anyway, I am sure McKenzie will take good care of you. She is a good girl!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Once she makes herself to home, she will bark- probably at your Dad, if he shows up when you aren't home. Your Dad has an old school mentality about dogs, as most people still do. I told my DH no physical punishments on Lily ever, so he announced he would be hands off if he could not correct as he saw fit. I said fine, hands off. And he was. I believe he has hit or kicked at her (he denies this). She barks at him as though he is an intruder every single time he comes in the house, or out of the bedroom. And as for me? I got Lily at 12 weeks, and it took her months to even want any of us to touch her- too bad for her she was so darn cute! I can attest that our Chows go into barking sometimes for little to no reason. At Woofest, one would take umbridge with another walking too close, and a 'barkfest' would ensue, with all the people saying KNOCK IT OFF!