dogs in my bed the end

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dogs in my bed the end

Post by Guest »

MELTARI DENIM GOLD AGE 7 MONTHS

Denim is growing into a lovely young dog, full of life, and very dominant, in his ways, his small disability with his front legs appears to have righted it self, he suffers no pain or lameness, and flies around the garden, with no problems.

BOBBY’S RESCUE

I saw my first chow at the age of 16 in Wilropark, Johannesburg and have ever since been intrigued by the beauty and majesty of the breed.
In 200 Marle got her first chow chow, Lionbear Zena and I just fell in love with her. In the coming months Marle and I searched the Net, libraries and bookshops for more info on the chow chow. On the 15th June 2001 Marle came to work and told me about a chow boy in need of rescue, he’d been treated badly, she gave me the phone number of the owner and I phoned her to make an appointment to go and see him the next day.

Wednesday 16 June 2001 dawned a bright and beautiful winters morning, and I kept telling myself and Marle and who ever else wanted to hear, I am fetching my chow boy, but in my heart I was afraid the owner wouldn’t find Gerhard and I suitable to take him home. 1 o’clock arrived to slow for me, we had to meet the owner at 2 o’clock in Cape Town, and I rushed home to fetch Gerhard, a water bowl and a leash.

On the way to Cape Town, I kept on telling Gerhard what to do and what not to do, he must remember not to approach him, he must on his own time decide to approach us and make friend on his terms not ours. We arrived in Cape Town on time and as I got out of the car, there behind the gate lies the saddest looking red creature, he was matted and had a bit of chain sticking out underneath the red fur, he eyed us wearily as his owner let us in, we sat outside on the patio and I fried questions rapidly at her and she answered as well as she could, his name is Lu Babesi (Zulu for Lion) he was born in November 2000, and he’s never been inoculated, he was mistreated by her Ex, he never had a toy in his 9 months, he came from Pietermaritzburg. Whilst I was asking questions Bobby (this is what we call him now) approached me and put his head on my knee and allowed me to pat him, he went over to Gerhard and sat down in front of him as it checking out this big bear of a man. It was as if he was thinking “Mr are you going to hurt me to if I give you my love.” It was just so sad.

Bobby’s owner was surprised, saying that he has never approached a man or allowed one to touch him. When she saw Bobby interact with us she said that we must take him home. Bobby allowed me to slip the leash over his head and I asked him to get in the car, which he did without a fuss. We got home at about 4 in the afternoon and I phoned Marle and told her we have out baby, I immediately started combing him and found that the piece of chain sticking out was a “choke chain” so matted into his hair, there was barely space to get my fingers through between his neck and the chain, I started detangling the chain from the hair, Marle and Nico arrived with a bolt cutter with which we had to remove the chain as it did not want to budge over his head.

The first few months he was this sullen little boy, who did not know what to do with the toys we got for him, he did not even know what to do with our three cats, I also think he missed his previous owner, and was really checking out these two strangers that suddenly showered him with love and affection, wherever we went Bobby went, We took him for his first Vet visit and inoculations; we had to treat the horrible hotspots under the matted hair. We took him to puppy training; socialized him from scratch with children, people, and animals. As the months passed Bobby started to “bloom” for lack of a better word into this unique creature that loves us as much as we love him he started playing with the toys we bought, he chased his tail when he got excited, he will run into the garden and fall flat on his tummy, tail wagging ready for a game of chase. The cats excepted him on their terms and after a while would lie on the back of the coach and catch this fuzzy tail that would pass just in reach of those tiny claws.

Bobby is the most wonderful thing that ever entered our lives. I think we all can relate to the feeling of being loved and owned by a Chow chow.

Written by Eurika Thiart.

MELTARI MISS SKYE GOLD 3 MONTHS OF AGE.

Some Common Diseases of Dogs

Name(s) of disease Nature of disease

Distemper Virus affects nonvaccinated (nonimmunized) puppies in contact with infected animals; symptoms include loss of appetite, fever; inflammation of the brain is usual cause of death; some dogs may recover, but others have spastic tremors; foxes, wolves, mink, skunks, raccoons, and ferrets also susceptible

Infectious hepatitis Virus affects dogs by causing hemorrhages and severe liver damage; affects foxes (Rubarth's disease) by causing inflammation of the brain; clinical signs are variable because disease symptoms vary from sever to in apparent (i.e.,nomanifest signs)

Prostatitis Varied inflammation of a gland near the urinary bladder (prostate gland) in male dogs; usually controlled by antibiotic drugs; other prostate-gland Disorders may result from tumors (sarcoma) or from abnormal increase in cell multiplication (hyperplasia)

Congenital heart Disease I Inherited tendency may occur in 1 percent of all dogs; heart disorders may lead to secondary diseases such as pneumonia, accumulation of fluid in body cavities, labored breathing, edema; heart failure occurs.

Hip dysplasia Apparently inherited tendency- crippling disorder common in many breeds (especially German shepherds); a shallow hip socket (acetabulum) results in an unstable hip joint, particularly during motion of hind leg

Kidney stones Hereditary, functional disturbance calculi develop in kidney, bladder, and male urethra (tube from bladder (calculi, urolith-turbance to outside of body); surgery usually necessary; inherited types include cystine calculi in certain dachshunds and uric acid calculi in male Dalmatians

Hypothyroidism Functional disturbance thyroid gland may function marginally or be absent; symptoms include awkward, slow movement, coarse, dry coat; treatment includes iodine, thyroid preparations

Dermatitis Varied common symptoms include skin inflammation and loss of hair; causative agents include nutritional deficiencies, bacterial infections, hypo- thyroidism, allergies, hormone imbalances, and parasites (e.g., fl lice, mites, fly larvae, and ticks)

Strychnine poisoning Chemical compound accidental ingestion of 0.75 milligram of the poison (found in rat poisons) per kilogram (about 2.25 pounds) of body weight may cause death from convulsions and respiratory distress

Glaucoma Hereditary tendency in a group of eye diseases which the retina and optic nerve are damaged; certain breeds have a hereditary tendency for the disease; other breeds develop glaucoma as a result of other eye disorders

Granulomatous Colitis Not yet characterized usually found in boxer dogs; symptoms include bloody diarrhea; severely colitis and chronically affected dogs become emaciated; an infectious agent to observe microscopically in the thickened colon has not yet been isolated or characterized

Pancreatitis Unknown: in acute types the gland may be destroyed because of inflammation from unknown causes; an animal that lives may develop diabetes mellitus or be unable to secrete enzymes from pancreas, or both, thus preventing digestion, which increases the appetite and causes progressive weight loss; treatment difficult.

Chow Chow Health Care
What should I know about First Aid? What respiratory problems are common to the breed? What eye and ear problems might I see? What skin problems might occur? Can they have foot problems? Is heart disease a problem?
What reproductive and related problems can occur? Can problems develop with their muscles and bones? How is their digestive system?
As mentioned elsewhere, you will want to have a good Vet who knows Chow chows and have a good relationship with him. All animals have problems associated with the breed; Chows Chows are no different. If you are not sure about something, it's safer to visit your Vet than to let a potential health problem develop. Regular check-ups by your Vet should be part of your annual routine. As you get to know your dog and the breed better, you will begin to feel more comfortable about what you can and can't treat yourself.
The more common problems you may come across and some of the remedies that have been proven over time are discussed below. This is not inclusive of all problems nor is it a complete description of the actions you should take. It is not intended to replace sound medical advice from your Vet. But to provide you with information to make it easier to be an informed dog owner.
If you are showing your dog in conformation, remember that the KUSA regulations for dog shows disqualify any dog that has had its appearance surgically altered. Although any surgical procedure mentioned would disqualify your dog from the conformation show ring, it may make him a healthier and happier pet.

First Aid

You should know elementary first aid for your dog. Knowing the proper procedures for moving an injured dog, treating poisoning (some common household plants are potentially dangerous), stopping bleeding, and administering artificial respiration and CPR can save your dog's life. For detailed information on first aid and/or care for an ailing or injured pet, you may want to look at Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook by Delbert Carlson, D.V.M. and James Griffin, M.D. (Howell Book House, 1980), The Complete Home Medical Guide for Dogs by Stephen Schneck & Dr. Nigel Norris (Stein & Day. 1976). or The Complete Book of Dog Care by Dr. Leon Whitney (Doubleday & Co., 1953).
Since an emergency is bound to occur, you should be prepared for it. With the caveats that all prescription medications should be checked with your vet before use and that some of these require more than a simple Health knowledge of animal health and the effects of medication, we have found the following effective to have on hand for emergencies or when we can't get to the vet quickly.
A pair of tweezers to remove splinters, o a small scissors,
A rectal thermometer (preferably digital) and petroleum jelly to lubricate it. An eyedropper or syringe to give liquid medicine, gauze pads to cover wounds and to control bleeding, self-stick gauze bandages and adhesive tape to wrap wounds and to use as temporary muzzles, Cotton balls and baby wipes for general cleaning and cleaning ears and wrinkles, Sterile, isotonic eyewash. an electrolyte solution, like pedialyte, to prevent dehydration, an anti-diarrheal, e.g., Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismo, or Metronidazole (Flagyl) pills to reduce fluid loss, hydrogen peroxide (396) solution to clean wounds and delay poison absorption, Milk of Magnesia to calm stomach and slow poison absorption,
A prescription diuretic, e g., furosemide (lasix), to reduce fluid accumulation and an antihistamine, e.g., benedryl, (available both in pill and mjectable forms) to reduce swelling in severe allergic reactions, epinephrine or solu-medrol (injectable) for severe allergic reactions, an instant ice pack (the kind you squeeze to chemically make the solution cold) to handle heat problems,
Rubbing alcohol to apply to feet and/or ears to reduce temperature in emergencies, aspirin suppositories, for use in rapidly decreasing body temperature when baths are not available, an antibiotic ointment, e.g., Panalog, to reduce the chance of infection, Neo-predef powder to reduce infection from superficial wounds and to handle itching and hot spots, Ascnptin pills for pain - never give aspirin products when bleeding is present (since they inhibit clotting), and oral antibiotics for emergency use, e.g., Cephalexin (Keflex), Baytnl, etc. Of course, you need to learn from your vet when each is appropriate, the phone number of your Vet and an emergency 24-hour Vet if one is available in your area.
30/03/04
Poisoning
Chows are inquisitive and love to eat any thing. When this happens out of your presence, you may have to guess at the cause of the symptoms. Accidental poison caused by common household plants, chemicals, etc. is comparatively easy to prevent if thought and planning is give to arranging your house. If the poison is identifiable, a specific treatment may be recommended on the label or may be obtained by calling the local Poison Control Center or your Vet. They can advise you on the best treatment. If you are unsure, get to your Vet as soon as possible.
Inducing vomiting to rid the body of the poison is the usual action if the poison was recently ingested. Vomiting can be induced by giving your dog one-teaspoon of Syrup of Ipecac for each 10 pounds of body weight or by giving between one and three teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide every 10 minutes until three doses have been given.
An associated treatment is to then give the dog activated charcoal mixed in a solution of water (25 grams to 100 cc). Give five teaspoonfuls (25 cc) per 10 pounds. This is followed 1/2 hour later by two teaspoonfuls of Milk of Magnesia per 10 pounds.
Some houseplants are toxic; a Vet should address causing severe reactions that quickly. Among this group are Amaryllis, Asparagus fern, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Crown of Thorns, Elephant Ears, Ivy, Jerusalem Cherry, and Sprangeri Fern. Other plants can cause swelling of the mouth or tongue, both potentially life-threatening conditions. Among these are Arrowhead Vine, Boston ivy, Colodium, Drunk Cane, and Philodendron.
Food Poisoning
Food poisoning is common, since dogs love to acquire tasty morsels left unguarded, even if they are in the garbage. Garbage should be kept securely covered. A painful abdomen and vomiting are initial symptoms, frequently followed by bloody, loose stool.
Medication Poisoning
Accidentally eating medicine prescribed for either you or your dog can cause poisoning from an overdose. Keep all medicines in cabinets since your dogs can destroy the plastic containers most come in. All medicines have side effects, be sure you know the potential side effects of any medication bought over the counter or by prescription. Recognizing an adverse reaction to medicine may help save your dog's life.

Medicating
If you need to give him pills at any point, rolling them in cream cheese, liverwurst or peanut butter usually works and he'll take it eagerly. If he's not interested, put the cream cheese with the pill in his mouth, tilt his head up and hold his mouth closed while you stroke his throat. The cream cheese will coat his tongue and he'll swallow the pill painlessly. Make sure you inspect his mouth afterwards to ensure he swallowed the pill.
A plastic eyedropper works well for liquid medication. Open the mouth, tilt the head back slightly and squeeze it into the back of his mouth. If you can't get the mouth open fully, you can squirt it into the back of his cheek pouch. In either case, he won't be able to do much else but swallow it. It's fast and painless.

Respiratory Problems. If your dog is overheated and/or over excited, it is critical to calm him down, bring down the body temperature, make sure the throat is free of mucous, and minimize the swelling. Fast action is essential and you generally will not have a real problem if you act quickly rather then letting problems build. It is better to err on the side of caution with these problems you won't harm the dog with water, ice and aspirin he doesn't need. But you can kill a dog by not acting when he needs help. Get him to a spot where he can calm down. Don't leave him outside in the hot sun. Don't have him sit around on a leash without access to water while you're socializing if it's warm. Never leave him in an enclosed car in the summer - cars turn into ovens really easily.
You should be aware of the sound and rhythm of the dog's normal breathing and panting. If he's over excited, his breathing will be abnormally fast and hard. If the dog is hyperventilating, his tongue will have a bluish cast, or get very thick; it will hang out unusually far. His panting will be heavy, probably with a rasping sound and he may look wild eyed. To treat him, you will need to use some or all of the following water, ice, lemon juice, and aspirin suppositories.You can immediately place him in a tub of cold (but not ice) water or in a cold shower. If you're outside, pour water over him - straight from a garden hose if possible. He won't like it, but do it anyway It's important to get him wet down to the skin so evaporation of the water can speed bodily cooling. Then get him into the shade. You can clear then his throat with lemon juice Give him ice cubes and hold a compress of ice cubes on his genitals and/or head If he's overheated, give him an aspirin suppository
Nostrils & Breathing problems can start where the air first comes in - at the nose. Collapsed nostrils are seen more frequently in short-nosed breeds like the Chow and the Bulldog. In this condition, the nasal cartilage of puppies is too soft and collapses under the pressure of breathing Surgical enlargement of the nostrils will solve the problem Nostrils of older Bulldogs come in a variety of sizes, some of which are too small to admit enough air When coupled with problems in the soft palate tonsils or trachea, this can lead to problem breathing This is what my Sezar suffers from and is not allowed out in the sun on a hot day. Fortunately, this is not usually a problem Nostrils can be surgically enlarged to increase air flow, but it is infrequent that it is necessary Ideally, a Chow should have large, well-opened nostrils

- The next potential point of air blockage is the soft palate The front part of the roof of the mouth is the hard palate and the rear, up until the windpipe, is the soft palate When the soft palate is elongated, as it frequently is in brachiocephalic dogs, it can partially block the airway when the animal breathes Treatment will depend on the amount of tissue, its location and the dog's temperament A calm dog, with a slight elongation of the soft palate may need nothing more than extra attention during hot weather (when throats tend to swell).
By the age of four or five months, the Vet should be able to tell you if the soft palate is elongated. If he doesn't have it by that age, he won't suddenly develop it later in life. If it is elongated, by 6-8 months of age you'll know about how long it will be and whether it's a problem depending on your dog's activity level and your lifestyle. The soft palate can be surgically shortened if it causes serious problems, especially-if-the-animal is excitable. This is because an excitable animal will breathe and pant harder, which causes swelling of the throat, which is already partially blocked by the soft palate.
Where surgery is indicated, it will generally be performed after the puppy has reached full growth - after 10-12 months. You must wait this long for two reasons. First to determine whether this is a real problem - you don't want your dog to have unnecessary surgery. Second, if done much earlier, it's harder to predict the final head size and the Vet may take off too much or too little.
Tonsils " Yes, your dog has tonsils just like you do and they are subject to the same potential problems. Some dogs never have problems, some get tonsillitis and, if antibiotics don't work, they can have their tonsils removed.- it's a relatively minor operation. The dog can be home the same day and won't spend more than a night with the Vet.
Trachea
-- The size of the trachea (windpipe) also varies. While a large windpipe makes breathing easier, dogs can do quite well with narrower openings.. The size of the windpipe cannot be corrected surgically. As long as the windpipe is big enough for the dog to function, it's not a big issue for you. For the Vet, the issue will center on the best way to anesthetize the dog if surgery is required for some other condition. You can discuss this with your Vet.
Allergic Reactions If the dog breaks out in welts or looks as though he has hives he is probably having an allergic reaction. Take him to the Vet without delay. He'll probably get shots to alleviate the problem. Then you have to identify the cause. Common causes are fleabites (some dogs are allergic to fleas). As a precaution, you can have your house sprayed for fleas twice a year by a professional. It doesn't cost much and provides a long lasting remedy for potentially unpleasant problem. If you keep the flea population under control, you should reduce the chance of allergic reactions.
Some dogs are allergic to chemicals used to clean rugs or floors. One of our dogs was allergic to a supermarket brand of rug cleaner, so be careful of such things. Of course, one of our dogs likes to chase wasps and bees, whose stings cause an allergic reaction in her, so you can never be sure. If he is allergic, you have to be especially careful, since an allergic attack sometimes produces respiratory problems. Most dog breeders have an assortment of medications like Lasix and Benedryl and Depo-Medrol to administer in case of allergic reaction.
Skin Problems
- Demodectic mange is caused by mites who live in hair follicles and feed on sebum. Since sebum production increases at puberty, it is most prevalent at that time. Most dogs have these mites without exhibiting any symptoms. Susceptibility to the disease appears to be genetically transmitted. It causes the loss of hair and a spotty looking coat, with no signs of itching. In severe cases, the skin first becomes red, thickened and scaly. It then becomes oily and begins to smell. This should be treated quickly. There are both topical and systemic treatments for this. You should consult your Vet for the right remedy. With appropriate treatment, you dog can be free of this disease.
A different mite causes sarcoptic mange. Your dog will scratch and bite at himself consistently. Scabs, crusting areas and hair loss is common. There are several dips, which will control the problem. Your Vet can give you cortisone to control the itching and you can use Panalog to soothe the infected area.
Hot Spot. This is a weeping sore or moist dermatitis associated with hair loss. It can result from the dog's scratching itself continually. You need to catch this quickly, since it can rapidly spread over the dog's coat. Treatment consists of shaving and thoroughly cleaning the effected area and applying a topical antibiotic and anti-itch powder or ointment. A drying agent, like hydrogen peroxide, may be beneficial. After bathing the effected area, application of a hydrocortisone cream is helpful. Recovery is usually fast. If the dog is in severe pain, tranquillizers may be helpful. If the dog can reach the effected area, an Elizabethan collar can be used to prevent licking or biting the sores. I have made a collar of foam rubber covered in canvas and measured to the neck of the dog, this is attached by Velcro strips, and stops the dog from chewing it’s affected parts.
Fleas
- Fleas, which feed on blood, are the most common parasites on dogs. The presence of fleas can be observed from black and white flecks about the size of grains of sand in your dog's coat. The whites are eggs and the blacks are flea feces. Of course, you may also see the fleas. Flea eggs incubate on your rugs and furniture, so if there are fleas, you should have your entire house professionally treated to eliminate the problem.
Spraying dips, use of a flea collar, or flea powders can handle a temporary infestation that is quickly caught. We do not use flea collars because of the danger the dog could chew each other's and poison themselves. This is not a problem in an only dog household. Dips and sprays are quick, effective and long lasting. You must treat both the dog and the environment or the problem will only reoccur. Once the fleas are eliminated, there are monthly medications that can successfully keep your dog flea free.
Some dogs are allergic to the flea's saliva and develop a rash and itching. Since fleas tend to gather around the tail, you may notice your dog scooting or backing up against things to rub his bottom on. Cortisone treatment by a Vet, coupled with dipping and use of topical antibiotics is effective in treating the allergic reaction.
Ticks
" Ticks live in all areas mainly from spring until the end of summer (depending on the weather). Adult ticks attach themselves to you dog for two to four days of feeding on their blood. You should check for ticks daily if your dog is outside, In bad seasons, you may find 10 to 20 ticks on your dog each day. Ticks also occur in gardens where the ground is continually damp such as we had in Waterfall, I had at least 6 of my dog’s go down with Biliary, and lost Trisha my female Doberman from it.
Ticks carry a disease in South Africa called Biliary disease; Lyme disease can affect man, and animal. Therefore, you should remove ticks quickly and safely. Applying alcohol or fingernail polish directly to it with a cotton swab can kill the tick. After several minutes, it will die and be ready for removal. Grasp the dead tick with a tissue as close to the skin as possible and apply steady pressure until it comes loose. In more rural areas, where severe tick problems are more prevalent, sprays or dips can be used. Be sure to treat the dog's sleeping quarters when you treat him. As with any poison, read the label carefully and seek your Vet's advice on treatment.
Ringworm
Ringworm gets its name from the appearance - a red ring at the margin of a rapidly spreading ring of hair loss. It is not cause by a worm, but a fungus living on the skin. Microscopic examination of skin scrapings and fungus cultures is best for diagnosis. For minor infections, the hair should be clipped away from the effected area and the area bathed with Betadine shampoo or whatever your Vet prescribes. More severe cases can be handled with prescription drugs.

Foot Problems

- Interdigital cysts are fluid filled, swollen sacs between the toes, usually on the front feet. The area is sore and painful. The dog will lick or bite at the area trying to break the cyst to relieve the pressure. It can be treated in several ways.
First, you can use a tweezers to remove any ingrown hairs from the underside of the cyst. Then apply pressure to the cyst to expel any fluid you can. This will usually work quickly. If it doesn't, try bathing the foot several times a day in an Epsom salt solution until the swelling bursts. If the area is red and swollen, use a cold-water solution; once the redness disappears, use a hot water solution. An antibiotic ointment, like Panalog, placed between the toes helps to prevent infection once it bursts. In severe cases, your Vet may need to inject a cortisone-related drug to reduce swelling or to cut the cyst to permit it to drain.
Cut Pads - Be prepared; cut pads bleed profusely. It usually looks worse than it is. Be sure the wound is clean and no foreign object - glass, for example, is present. Do not use peroxide on a fresh wound and do not wipe a wound, which has stopped bleeding. Both will make bleeding harder to control. Once you are sure the wound is clean, apply firm and steady pressure on the pad until the bleeding stops. This may take some time. Then bandage the foot and get the dog to the Vet as quickly as possible. Cut pads will usually heal without a trace of the injury. Heart Diseases

" Pulmonary stenosis is a narrowing of the Pulmonary artery, causing a lessening of blood flow and an increase of blood pressure as the heart works harder to pump blood through the constricted region. The condition is rated on a scale of one to six, with six being the severest form. The prognosis for dogs with severe conditions is not good. However, some dogs with relatively severe conditions have lived to an advanced age with fairly normal, happy lives.

Urogenital Problems
Mono/Cryptorchidism "
A cryptorchid is a fairly rare condition in which both testicles are absent. A monorchid has only one fully visible testicle. Usually the testicle is present, but not descended. Occasionally hormones can cause the testicle to descend to a normal position. Dogs who are cryptorchid are sterile and can't be bred; monorchid dogs can reproduce, but most people don't breed them since the trait can be passed on. These dogs should be sterilized for health reasons, since the retained testicle may result in an increased risk of cancer.

Pyometria is a potentially life-threatening abscess of the uterus. A vet should be seen immediately if you suspect this condition. The infection may either drain from the uterus or collect there, causing painful enlargement. A hysterectomy guarantees full recovery. For a potential brood bitch, there is a course of treatment with prostaglandin, which can sometimes eliminate the infection. Since, there is always the possibility of recurrence; the bitch should be bred on her next heat.
Musculoskeletal Problems

Osteochondrits –
- This disease affects rapidly growing puppies between the ages of four and 12 months. This defect in the cartilage covering the head of the long bones usually affects the shoulder joints. The signs are gradual lameness and pain upon flexing the joint Confinement to reduce potential strain on the cartilage and encourage healing is the preferred treatment Pain pills should be avoided since it encourages the dog to be more active In severe cases, surgery can remove the damaged cartilage.

-- Panosteitis, also called "wandering lameness," occurs in puppies between five months and one year old. The cause is unknown it exhibits itself by pain and lameness shifting from one location to another over time. Since there is no known cause, treatment consists of pain relief. Dogs tend to recover fully from mild cases on their own. In severe cases, full muscle strength may never be regained
Cruciate Ligament Problems
" This can be easily rectified by an operation, but is very painfull and should be attended to immediately it happens, The cruciate that is not repaired can lead to motavation problems and arthritis.
Patellar Dislocation - A dislocated kneecap can occur through injury or be inherited Pain in the stifle, difficulty straightening the knee, and a limp are signs of this problem. Conditions created by injury may heal themselves if the dog gets enough rest Inherited problems can be treated by surgery.
Vitamin Overdose
In an effort to encourage growth in a healthy puppy, some people feed vitamin supplements in addition to a fully balanced commercial dog food. These dog foods supply all the nutrients your dog requires as long as your puppy eats well. When you give your dog extra Vitamin D. calcium or phosphorus, his normal growth can be harmed. Supplements may be needed for dogs that are poor eaters. Consult your Vet before giving your puppy supplements.
Elbow Dysplasia:
Elbow Dysplasia is presumed to be an inherited disease, It is treatable by operation, to remove the loose bone that is causing the disability, and it is treatable by drugs, the dogs legs in the front will never be the same as his back legs, and as he ages he may suffer from chronic arthritis, if a puppy is diagnosed with this problem the Vet’s will generally advise to put the dog down, I disagree with this drastic measure and think that the quality of life can be preserved with a little extra care, not to much exercise, and drugs, homeopathic preferably. See my story on Meltari Denim Gold, this puppy at the time of writing is now 1 year old and is in no pain, full of himself and loves to play with his kennel mate. I will have to consider his fate when and if he shows signs of acute pain when he gets older. To avoid any problems with growing puppies, I now start them on Eco Bone from the age of 3 weeks once a week until they are 6 weeks then twice a day until they are 6 months old, This treatment has helped Denim with his problem, and I am happy to say, that he is a happy Chow, I will never breed from him but love him just the same.

The digestive system breaks down nutrients so your dog can absorb them, helps prevent toxins from entering general circulation and eliminates waste. Most digestive system diseases are reflected in familiar symptoms -diarrhea, gas, constipation, vomiting, poor appetite and weight loss. Although not illnesses themselves, they all indicate the possibility of an underlying problem. While treating the symptom will frequently eliminate the problem, you should be careful not to overlook a hidden problem.

Vomiting
" This is one of the most common symptoms you will see. This makes it harder to know what is means. Occasional vomiting may be due to excitement, overeating, or digesting cold water quickly following a meal. Dogs who eat grass will also vomit. You can see the cause, so you don't need to worry. Vomiting once or twice in an otherwise healthy appearing dog is generally no cause for alarm. If your dog is vomiting and looks listless and sick or if he vomits blood, you should see you is Vet.
Diarrhea —
Diarrhea is a symptom, not a disease. You must be sure to treat the underlying cause as well. Sometimes it's something simple like a change of food. Other times it can be caused by an infection of the intestine.
If he has loose, unformed stools for more than a day or two, especially if he appears listless or doesn't want to eat, be sure he sees a Vet quickly. It's not unusual to see a trace of bright red blood in the stool with diarrhea. If there is a lot of blood or if it’s dark red, or if he is vomiting or has a fever with the diarrhea, get the dog to a Vet immediately.
For non-serious cases, withhold food and water for 24 hours. Give him small amounts of ice cubes to eat if he seems thirsty. Keep Kaopectate on your medicine shelf. Use dosages appropriate for his weight as noted on the bottle Dunk something he loves into the Kaopectate (small pieces of chicken) and feed him until he's had the entire dose. Repeat after every bowl movement until the stool is solid. His stool may change color until the medicine is out of his system. Pepto-Bismol also works for this and nausea. It turns the stool dark.
When you feed him, give him equal parts of rice and chopped meat with the fat drained off, or cottage cheese and pasta, instead of his regular dog food until his stool is back to normal. Gradually mix dog food back into the meat/rice mixture until he's back on his normal feed. Prescription diets are available from your Vet. Check under his tail and keep the area scrupulously clean. Use Panalog if it's sore - as it almost certainly will be.
Constipation " Constipation exhibits itself as the inability of the dog to pass stool. Most dogs have a stool one or two times a day - going for two days without one is not unusual. You should get to know your dog's routine so you can see if it changes. It can be caused by poor diet, eating indigestible substances and voluntary retention. Poor diet can be addressed through Milk of Magnesia or mineral oil as a laxative and feeding a high residue diet.
Eating indigestible substances can cause fecal impaction. The dog will pass watery or blood-tinged stool, forced around the blockage. Your Vet can give the dog an enema to expel the block. Surgery might be required if nothing else works.
Voluntary retention occurs when a dog refuses to have a stool. The dog seems to be "holding his breath" as humans do when a bathroom is not available. This is common when a dog is away from his home environment and the cues for acceptable locations are absent. A mild laxative, like mineral oil, can help lubricate the dry stool and ease passage you should give your dog several chances a day to eliminate if you think this is the cause.

Diets high in fermentable (beans, cabbage, etc.), milk or meat can make the condition more likely. Chows are not really prone to it. It's something you learn to live with. You can try a course of antibiotic therapy followed by cultured yogurt or buttermilk for a while to create "good" bacteria in the intestine.
Gastritis
Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining following its irritation its principle symptom is vomiting. Acute gastritis is accompanied by diarrhea, which should be treated as explained above. Chronic gastritis exhibits sporadic vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss and lethargy. You should have your Vet determine if there is some illness that should be treated or whether a change to a special diet is required.

We have discussed this problem in length elsewhere in this book, Bloat, or acute gastric dilation-torsion complex, is a life threatening illness. While acute gastric dilation can be treated at home, immediate response by a Vet is essential for torsion to keep your dog alive. He will have to relieve the gas or turn the stomach to permit normal digestion. Gastric dilation, and related torsion of the stomach usually, occurs in animals older then 2 years. And is caused by gas or fluid build-up. The symptoms are abdominal distension coupled with dry heaves - retching without being able to vomit.
*Censored Word* Sacs.
*Censored Word* Sacs are scent glands located at the base of the tail under the skin. They normally empty into the very end of the rectum when the dog evacuates his bowels, marking his territory. They can get impacted or clogged in Chows, you can tell that your dog has impacted *Censored Word* sacs, worms, or allergic dermatitis if he sits strangely on his rump and rocks back and forth or if he drags his rump on the ground. The Vet easily empties clogged *Censored Word* sacs. It's easy to do and he can show you how if you're interested in doing it yourself.

" Liver disease can be caused by many factors, including infection, bile duct obstructions, cancer, heartworms, and poisons. The symptoms vary, but usually include loss of appetite, loss of weight, nausea, and jaundice. Treatment by a Vet is essential and can require hospitalization.
Intestinal Worms "It's possible to see some types of worms in the dog's stool. A dog with worms should be taken to the Vet for treatments since it’s important to make sure you’re treating the right kind of worms. The treatment and medication vary for different worms. The treatment of worms is generally easy and not messy. To eliminate the worms, you will give your dog pills according to a schedule the Vet will set. They are usually gone quickly.
Puppies are sometimes born with worms, even when the mother was dewormed. This can occur since the dewormers are not effective against larvae encysted in the tissues. During pregnancy, the larvae may mature and migrate to the puppies in the uterus.
“ Roundworms are acquired through eating soil containing the eggs. Roundworms look like gray or whitish strands in feces. Potbellied puppies, not just healthy fat ones, may harbor worms. Your Vet should check a stool sample during the puppy's first visit since a severe infestation can lead to death. The larval forms of the worm travel throughout the body and can cause dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea. Since the worms can be transmitted infrequently to humans, caution is required.
" Tapeworms look like grains of rice in the stool and dried segments looking like brown rice can be found around the tail or in areas which the dog sits. It is acquired by eating raw meat or fish or from swallowing infected fleas. Since the mature worm feeds in the intestine, your dog will eat large quantities of food without any weight gain. Mild diarrhea, weight loss and loss of appetite are the major symptoms. Be sure to clear up any flea problems associated with the dog as part of the tapeworm problem to prevent reinfestation.
" Hookworms are contracted from the infected feces of other dogs or cats. They attach to the intestinal wall and take blood from the dog. Puppies can get them through the bitch's placenta or her milk when nursing. Puppies with severe cases require veterinary action. Microscopic examination of the feces is best to identify the presence of these parasites. A dog with hookworms is listless, has a black or bloody stool, with a poor appetite and unexplained weight loss. Severely infested dogs can die if not treated. My Luke got hook worm when we were staying in Waterfall, because of the continuously damp environment, He and all the Chows were treated by my Vet Wendy Neadly and this appeared to stop the infestation, but Luke remained very thin and was eating like a horse, When we Moved to Shongweni a month later, I can now see the difference in him, he has put on weight, has the energy of a 6 month old puppy, He is now 8 years old, and is starting to look great, Has taken a fancy to eating Avocado pears that fall off the trees in our yard, and I think that his normal diet and the pears have helped in healing him.

The Other day, I received an email from my friend Cheryl Lopez in Colorado America, she has a chow called Ti co, a few weeks ago when she took Ti co out for a walk, she noticed that when he passed water that there were a few drops of bright red blood on the snow where it fell, She took him to the Vet and after extensive tests and X Rays, he was diagnosed with bladder stones, and had to have an emergency operation, The Doctor removed more then 200 bladder stones of various sizes from Ti co’s bladder, Cheryl sent me a photo and I have been unable to download it to my computer, I have never in my life seen so many bladder stones in a dog or a human for that matter. Very frightening, It has taken a while for Ti co to get back to his normal self, but thankfully this very brave 8-year-old is now feeling better. Below are some photos of Tico when he had his cruciate operation as well of him enjoying the snow.

Ti co after cruciate operating Not a very happy chappy

Ti co ready to go for a walk in the snow,
Note Blue boots and Green raincoat, especially made for
Dogs in America.

Ti co wanting to come inside after playing in the heavy snow.

CANINE BLADDER STONES
Bladder stones, more correctly called eoliths, are rock-like collections of minerals that form in the urinary bladder They may occur as a large, single stone or as dozens of stones the size of large grains of sand or pea gravel
Are these the same as gallstones or kidney stones?
No Gallstones are in the gall bladder, and kidney stones are in the kidney although die kidneys and urinary bladder are both part of the urinary system, kidney stones are usually unrelated to bladder stones
What problems do bladder stones cause?
The two most common signs of bladder stones are hematuria (blood in the urine) and dysuria (straining to urinate) Hematuria occurs because the stones irritate the bladder wall, causing bleeding from its surface Dysuria occurs when stones obstruct the passage out of the bladder Large stones may cause a partial obstruction at the point where the urine leaves the bladder and enters the urethra, small stones may flow with the urine into the urethra and cause an obstruction in this area.
When an obstruction occurs, urine cannot pass out of the body and the abdomen becomes very painful your dog may cry in pain, especially if pressure is applied to the abdominal wall
When there is no obstruction occurring, hematuria, and dysuria are the most common signs seen in dogs with bladder stones However, pain usually also occurs in the bladder This is known because when bladder stones are removed surgically, many owners tell us how much better their dog feels and how much more active it has become
Why do they form?
There are several the kinds of bladder stone formation. Each is feasible in some circumstances, but there is probably an interaction of more than one of them in each dog the most commonly accepted theory is called the Precipitation-Crystallization Theory. This theory states that one or more stone-forming crystalline compounds is present in elevated levels in the urine This may be due to abnormalities in diet or due to some previous disease in the bladder, especially infection with bacteria. When the amount of this compound reaches a threshold level, the urine is said to be supersaturated This means that the level of the compound is so great that it cannot all be dissolved in the urine, so it precipitates and forms tiny crystals These crystals stick together, usually due to mucus-like material within the bladder, and stones gradually form As time passes, the stones enlarge and increase in number
How fast do they grow?
Growth will depend on the quantity of crystalline material present and the degree of infection present Although it may take months for a large stone to grow, some sizable stones have been documented to form in as little as two weeks
How are they diagnosed?
Most dogs that have bladder infections do not have bladder stones These dogs will often have blood in the urine and will strain to urinate, the same symptoms as a dog with bladder stones Therefore, we do not suspect bladder stones just based on these clinical signs
Some bladder stones can be palpated (felt with the fingers) through the abdominal wall however; failure to palpate them does not rule them out
Most bladder stones are visible on radiographs (x-rays) or an ultrasound examination These procedures are performed if stones are suspected This includes dogs that show unusual pain when the bladder is palpated, dogs that have recurrent hematuria and dysuria, or dogs that have recurrent bacterial infections in the bladder

Some bladder stones are not visible on radiographs They are said to be radio lucent This means that their mineral composition is such that they do not reflect the x-ray beam These stones may be found with an ultrasound examination or with special radiographs that are made after placing a special dye (contrast material) in the bladder
How are bladder stones treated?
There are two options for treatment The fastest way is to remove them surgically This requires major surgery in which the abdomen and bladder are opened Following two to four days of recovery, the dog is relieved of pain and dysuria The hematuria will often persist for a few more days, then it stops Surgery is not the best option for all patients, however, those with urethral obstruction and those with bacterial infections associated with me stones should be operated on unless there are other health conditions that prohibit surgery
The second option is to dissolve the stone with a special diet. This avoids surgery and can be a very good choice for some dogs however it has three disadvantages
1 It is not successful for all types of stones unless some sand-sized stones can be collected from the urine and analyzed; it is not possible to know if the stone is of the composition that is likely to be dissolved
2 It is slow It may take several weeks or a few months to dissolve a large stone so the dog may continue to have hematuria and distrait during that time
3 Not all dogs will eat the special diet the diet is not as tasty as the foods that many dogs are fed if it is not consumed exclusively, it will not work
Can bladder stones be prevented?
The answer is a qualified "yes " There are at least four types of bladder stones, based on their chemical composition If stones are removed surgically or if some small ones pass in the urine, they should be analyzed for their chemical composition This will permit us to determine if a special diet will be helpful in preventing recurrence If a bacterial infection causes stone formation, it is recommended that periodic urinalyses and urine cultures be performed to determine when antibiotics should be given

Finally a few stories submitted by members of the Chow.org. With permission of their authors.
This article submitted by Anita (anita@seltrut.com) on 6/21/04.
Well, first let me just say I understand and sympathize with your reaction to Kodi running towards traffic. When my Chico did this on three different occasions. I just broke down in tears, as he has no regard for traffic at all, he seems to be drawn towards it. Now here are a couple things I learned ... 1. Chico will never go farther then his sight from me... 2. Chico will always run, if I come after him or start yelling at him to come back...3. If I have a cookie in my hand... CHICO WILL NEVER COME TO ME FOR THAT TREAT... freedom is a much better trade off.

SO this is what I have learned to do... 1. Always have chow on halter outside, 1. Less stress on neck... and a hell of a lot harder to slip out of... although Chico has done so once... 2. If your chow gets lose, Stay in one spot. And jump up and down like a lunatic yelling ya ya ya Chico (insert your dogs name) and clap and make funny body movements... your chow will think what the hell is she/he doing and come and investigate. This only usually works twice, so use it carefully... Also, My Chico loves strangers. LOVES THEM... So once when Chico got out at 12.30 am. I was running after him down the middle of the road, screaming him name... when the neighbors started filing out of their house to see what all the commotion was about... I grabbed the nearest stranger and asked them to yell out to Chico ... they did, and you know what the cheeky bugger came to the stranger...As for recall, this is as good as it will get for most chows...I actually have a great story about a chow that I adopted out... that is not a typical chow...The woman was diabetic... and she was walking Kinyo (her chow) at 11 p.m. at night when she started to go into diabetic shock. She dropped the leash... (As we all open our mouths in horror) and falls to her knees... Kinyo at this point walks away. And looks back at her. She is pretty much out of it now. She doesn’t remember much of this incident. But remembers calling Kinyo to her, and he came (shocked again) and she grabs the leash. And Kinyo leads her home, as she is in a coma like state... To everyone’s surprise, he just walks into the house like nothing has happened, he is the most pampered pooch these days let me tell you.
Just goes to show, the chow can do anything he/she wants to do.
The sit at intersections works for Chico too, but if you don't say sit stay...he won't do it.
I have cried many nights over Chico’s behavior. Now I just learn to accept it... it makes his and my life easier.

MY GEESE.

I was given 2 geese by a lady in the valley, the male is a large white and the female is gray in color, The Lady next door to me was also given two of the geese both gray in color, My geese could hear their fellow mates calling from the yard next door, and it was not long before Sally Ann’s geese were coming into my yard, to be with their partners, After consulting with their former owner and Sally Ann next door, it was decided that I kept the geese, The large gray male had attacked her and bitten her many times on the legs and the arms, and he thought that he would try the same stunt with me, so I decided that if I were to get the better of this big fellow I would have to show him who was boss, and every time he went for me I hit him across the beak with a plastic stick, Yes he did bite me twice, but then decided that it would be better to be my friend then my enemy and land in the pot for Christmas, He now follows me all over the place, when I am out side, he sits with me when I am pulling out the weeds in my vegetable garden and has on occasion tried to follow me to work in the mornings, I therefore have to shut the farm gate to stop him from doing this, I have named him George and he comes to me when I call his name. George has become in the short time I have had him a very close and faithful friend.

It is sad that I have to report at the end of my book that the SPECIAL LITTLE PERSON I now dedicate this to is now no longer with me, My Sezer died of respiratory failure brought on by a snake bite. Or galloping Biliary. On the 20.12.2004
He was a wonderful friend and I will always love him and respect him a Chow Chow in a million.

I MISS YOU SO MUCH