General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: To PTS or not..... Need your advise

Post by Victory »

Yes, we should be glad. But I also recommend as someone else does that she take the puppy to the vet to be examined. If the puppy was hurt enough to show aggression the next day, then he may well be hurt. A cracked rib is painful and if he falls or hits it himself while being a normal puppy the crack can become a break and really cause proplems. Now that she knows why he bit her son, it's time to care for the puppy.

And the puppy is too young to be neutered. They do need enough testosterone to help the hips, knees, and elbows develop correctly, as well as strengthing the ligaments and tendons in those same joints. Delaying neutering until the puppy is lifting his leg to do his business 98% of the time will let him mature correctly. It also helps mentally as well as physically for them to mature completely.

And there isn't a big difference between dogs that are neutered and those that are intact as far as prostate cancer is concerned.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
fergie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fergie »

I really hope you continue to work with your chow puppy. And your child and teach him to be nice to animals! I have 3 children 2, 4, and 8. I would never want them to get bite by our dogs. But I have always told them and showed them how to properlly treat all animals. If they want them off there bed tell them to get down!! Have you ever consider taking some puppy classes and bringing your child along? They both might learn alot! It is so sad to hear that you would consider putting that puppy to sleep. I mean look at that on case were that basketball player was training pitbull to be fighters then didn't even put them dogs done. The worked with them and rehomed them. I don't think it would be dangerous to rehome home you puppy, just let them know that your chow had a bad expreince with your child, and would be better suited in a home without childern. There are alot of chow chow rescues out there that would take your puppy if it dosen't get better. But I would really consider taking some puppy classes they really do have alot to offer!!
Good Luck!!!
Thanks Sweatpea
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.
Tabatha
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Victory wrote:But I also recommend as someone else does that she take the puppy to the vet to be examined
Definitey, I agree, he could be seriously hurt.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

KathrynH wrote:Geez, she didn't know WHY before she posted, from what I understand, now that she knows WHY she is going to WORK w/ the Chow, shouldn't we just be happy that the Chow gets to keep his home?

I really don't care what anyone thinks when i say she is just an idiot..check out her myspace profile...what a hypocrite. She has a picture of a pit bull w/ a saying "in remebrance of all the PBs that died at the hands of an ingnorant human"..yet she was willing to do the same thing to her chow. She brags about how she is a bitch..so whatever, i feel sorry for the dog to have to live with someone like her. She posted here knowing full well what took place with the dog. Like a 4 yr old would say "oh btw mommy, I kicked the dog last night when he came in the room to get in my bed". This whole posting is BS.
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

I suggest rehoming the child,find someone who knows how to work with agressive little boys :twisted:
The "lockdown" will probably work as well,on the kid,not the dog!
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

Desi wrote:I suggest rehoming the child,find someone who knows how to work with agressive little boys :twisted:
LMAO
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Desi wrote:I suggest rehoming the child,find someone who knows how to work with agressive little boys :twisted:
ROFLOL :lol:
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Chingshouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chingshouse »

WOW!! That is all I can say!! You say your hubby has been around Chows a long time but won't get him fixed? You might not have to worry about PTS because he bit your brat son, the dog will end up with cancer like my male!

When I saw that you were in Tampa obviously, near me I was going to offer to take the pup, ok, teenager but obviously since you wouldn't re-home him, that is not an option! I hope you don't make a stupid decision!!!!

Barb :)