So, Chow lovers, what other breed(s) would you/do you have?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

So, Chow lovers, what other breed(s) would you/do you have?

Post by Sahara91 »

Question is in the title - what other breed of dog would you/do you have?

Personally I have a huge soft spot for Great Danes...
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: So, Chow lovers, what other breed(s) would you/do you have?

Post by jacqui »

I love all dogs but my heart belongs to Chows.I don't think I'll ever change breeds :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

2 cocker spaniels, love them but out of 4 that have been in my family 2 went blind at a young age
1 cocker collie mix
Maxwell chow and retriever mix. He is beautiful, has some chow qualities but also an incredibly sweet temperament
Yoshi chow.

I love all dogs, I am in love with the chow retriver on larrys tlc rescue , next dog will be one that really needs a home.

David
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I only have my 2 Chows and will probably only have Chows as I LOVE their personalities and non'dog like ways. Of course un-offically I have a white boxer who belongs to ummmm my daughter, I mean me......Lily does live here too. Kearra adores her and so do all of the kids so she is stayin' and is part of our family. So offically I have 2 Chows & 1 Boxer. I am very courious about Sammies though....but don't know anything about their personalities??? I think they are BEAUTIFUL but then again they look ALOT like white Chows. Anyone know about them?? Are they anything like a Chow or do they just look like them???
David, I think you should rescue that Chow-Retreiver so Larry would have some more room for another rescue, so then you would offically be rescuing 2 at one time :wink:
Interesting Thread can't wait to read the responses :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I wouldn't even know how to act with another dog. I have only had Chows since I was 18 yrs old. My mom had a poodle when I was growing up but that's it.
I love all dogs/animals...well ok...little yappy yappers, not so much...but don't think I will ever have a different breed then Chow.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Besides Chows, I'd have to say Golden Retrievers are one of my favorites. Since I found Tod, he's been a wacky addition to our otherwise calm home. I also grew up with a tri-color rough collie and will always love them.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Always had a Chow in the house growing up. But, we did have a GSD, a dachsund, and in high school I had a beagle. Now I have Hannah the Chow/Golden Retriever mix. Only Chows from now on, though. I'm what you would call a Chow Chow snob :)
ImageImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

Other than Steel, I currently have a GSD Chief, and a Pomerainian Roxi. I would never be without a chow, but that is me... and DH loves his GSD... and actualy.. I really like Roxi as well... so..... who knows. LOL. But I personaly will always have a chow. :-) lol
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Bernese Mountain Dog is next in line, followed by a Samoyed.
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

I really like Sharpeis.... I also like Rottweilers and PitBulls... Chows are still number one, I wanted one for 15 years since i've seen one when i was little
ImageImage
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

I have both a yorkie and a poodle/chihuahua mix in addition to the boys.
\
MoMo1224
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MoMo1224 »

I have a yellow lab mix as well as my two chows. I'm hooked on chows and think I will have them my whole life.

However, if I were to have another breed as well ... it would be a CORGI! They're so funny!

Thank you Sweetpea :)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We're Chow Chow people...but the Collie or Husky are also very interesting!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

I have an English Bullldog and had a bulldog mix before that. Bear has always been around Bulldogs and they have gotten along very well. I love the chow personality but I also like the Bulldodog personality. It is like one is on each end of the spectrum! I will probably always a
have a chow though!

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

We have two poodles and a jack russell .Would not get small dogs anymore,I'd like to get a Siberian Husky again,or an Alaskan Malamute,maybe an Akita.Anything big fluffy and a bit rough around the edges,lol.Mixes that look like any of the above will do.
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Before Brandy, before Honey and Ralph, I had two Samoyeds, the first, Puff, was a rescue about 1 year old, the second, Little Bear, we got from a breeder (not Backyard) and they were great dogs. even though Bear had really bad hip dysplasia. I always thought I'd stick with Sammys. In fact, when I first saw Honey, I thought she was a dirty Sammy, and when I first saw Ralph I thought HE was a Sammy - that black tongue and those straight back hindlegs told a different story, not that it mattered, anyway. Then we took in Ivanhoe, an 8 year old black Standard Poodle, who was a sweetheart. I thought about getting a little lap dog when Honey crossed the Rainbow Bridge because I've got a bad back and if I have to lift the dog it's not good for me, but ... I kept finding myself looking at chows on Petfinder and then I saw Brandy, and that was the end of any thoughts of any other kind of dog!

Puff and Little Bear as a puppy

Ivanhoe was actually playing tug of war with Ralph when this was taken

My boss was running for re-election and Ralph and Honey got dragged into the act - Ralph always liked dressing up - Honey looked like she'd rather get beaten!

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

In addition to Milly and Mabel, we have a standard schnauzer called Hector.

He is gorgeous and totally different in nature to chow chows.

When we were much younger we had Great Danes for many years and they were beautiful - gentle giants and so dignified and loving. I have a huge soft spot for Great Danes.
ImageImage
This picture is of Lizzie, our last Great Dane acting as a stool for our granddaughter when she was a little girl.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I have Sophie who is a chow/tervuren shepard mix and Ty, shih tzu. Both were rescue dogs. If I ever add to the pack, I'll adopt a rescue chow, shepard or a chow-mix. I also like greyhounds. I love Ty, but I don't think I'd adopt another lap dog. For such a little guy he is a lot more work than Sophie.

Sophie would like me to adopt a flat coat retriever--she fell in love with one while we were on vacation. Jake was tall, dark and drooly. He was fast enough to keep up with Sophie, but a little dumb so she could run circles around him if she wanted.
fergie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fergie »

I have a Jack Russell Terrier. Fergie is my first chow but my husband grow up with chows and wanted on for some time. Me growing up I had every kinda dog there was to have. You could have called our farm a retirement place for old dogs. We took in strays and older dogs people did not want to care for anymore. Alot of the older dogs we got were old hunting dogs. I really love animals and every dog is so unique in there own way. I love them all.

Thanks Sweatpea
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.
Tabatha
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Cain terriers are pretty cute & funny dogs. Mainly chows though, they are just so me!
Thank you Elodie!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Besides Molly (chow), we have Dusty, a retriever/ springer spaniel mix. Before them, we had a lab/airedale mix and Bear, our chowmix. I think the Samoyeds, Huskies, and Malemutes are all beautiful and Dusty is a wonderful dog. I guess I'd take one if it needed a home, no matter what the breed, but I'd always like to have at least one chow.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

Currently have:
-Fozzie Bear, my brand new baby Chow pup almost 6 months old
-Breezer and Katie, both Golden Retrievers (have had Goldens since 1978)
-Frasier, Bearded Collie
-Lucy, Anatolian Shepherd

Grew up with, and had till 2002, Old English Sheepdogs. Have had Chows since 1994 with Wally, then Berkley.
Would happily get another Old English, they're such joyful and exuberant dogs, but can't live without a Chow in my life now.
Attachments
My new pup, Fozzie Bear
My new pup, Fozzie Bear
Fozzie Blue Bear Full.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 8145 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
MoMo1224
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MoMo1224 »

Here are some pictures of my lab, Butch. Actually, he's my boyfriend's but we've been living together for 2 years so I think he's part mine also :D

Butchy Bear:

Butch and Me:

Butch and Etta James on Halloween:

Thank you Sweetpea :)
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

DH wants a Rottweiler or a Bulldog, I LOVE Husky's, but I also like Pit Bulls and Boxers...we won't have more than two dogs at a time though.
OH! What is a Sammy?
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

We had considered earlier this year that maybe an Old English Sheepdog would make a great friend for Henry. ( I think I need a chow of each colour before I get another breed though :wink: )
Thank you Sweatpea