Chows and Kids

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

roifosch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows and Kids

Post by roifosch »

My boyfriend gave me a chow about a month ago and now we're engaged and eventually want to have children, are they safe to have around babies/toddlers? I know a lot of it has to do with how you raise a pet but some dogs really don't socialize well with children.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Socialization plays a large role, and what the dog has inherited in terms of temperament/health plays another large role (what kind of breeder, what health tests were done before breeding, how the pup was handled before it came to live with you, what it is fed, etc.)

Another important factor is how you handle yourselves. Do you have the right 'temperament' needed to deal with a dominant and very intelligent dog. One big mistake I often see is people getting Chow pups on impulse, based on their cuteness, and not doing serious research on the breed beforehand.
Codybear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codybear »

I have 3 and 4 year old daughters and a 12 year young male chow. He was 8 years old when we brought our first baby home. No troubles at all. He never really showed too much interest in them. We have several pics of the baby girls with him laying on the couch beside them. Kinda odd for him because he doesnt like to get on the furniture. I think he loves them though. Hes very tolerant of them. I agree with Kiwani though, alot of it has to do with the individual dog. I hope it works out for you. My kids love him.
roifosch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roifosch »

We got him from the SPCA so I don't know about his breeding. He's never growled at me or snapped or anything like that. He barks at skateboarders and people on rollerblades, but never kids or other animals.

I'm not sure what you mean by the right temperament?
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I adopted Bear, a 4 y/o male Chow, in December. I knew very little about him, but after visiting him several times I decided to take him home. I was cautious on our first few walks around the apartment complex, but he set my mind at ease very quickly. The neighbor kids love him. They'll see us out on a walk and yell his name and come running for us. Sometimes I think Bear acts more like a Collie than a Chow. I try to take him to different places with me so he's used to different people and experiences.
I read a lot on here about how some Chows are so aloof, but I don't see that in mine. I have a 7 month old female, Ping, that I also adopted. I'm working with her to get her used to people (and even me sometimes). She was a stray, brought into the Humane Society, adopted and then brought back. So I guess her trust factor is a little leery. She missed out on the hugs and kisses when she was really little, so I try to give her as many as she'll take now.
I think what the "right temperment" means is you'll need to make sure that your Chow knows that you're the "top dog in the pack". Even my happy-go-lucky guy tries to take charge sometimes. He gets a reminder that I'm the boss and everything works out. Ping is still so young that she's always wanting to be near me and please me. I think she teaches Bear some manners sometimes.
I realize that I don't know everything about Chows or dogs in general, but I think you'll know when the time comes if your furry kid will get along with your new baby. Instinct is an amazing thing. Good luck and congrats on your adoption!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

roifosch wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by the right temperament?
A proper chow tempterment is one that is aloof and dignified, they should be neither overly wary/afraid or agressive. Basically they should act as if the world belongs to them. Think cat like, that same sort of "you don't bother me, I'll ignore you unless I want something" attitude. In fact the more of this dignity they see the better they are with kids in my opinion, a dog or chow that is secure in it's feelings is more likely to tolerate what childern do.

There are many websites about how to prepare your dog or chow to bring a new baby home, but for the most part it's common sense.

First, now is the time to socialize your chow, and that means getting him accostomed to being around childern. Let's start with the skateboarders and the rollerbladers, barking at them is something he shouldn't be doing. You should learn some ways to distract him from this behavior. It's mostly caused by fear, he doesn't understand why those humans are moving like that. If you could get some of them to stop and sit and talk to you and let him check them and their skates out it would help.

When most people talk about socialization they mean getting their dog to obey and to get along with other dogs but with Chows it's teaching them not to be afraid of the unknown.

Second this is important, never ever let him get the idea that he is dominant over any human. He doesn't want to anyway, that takes energy and work on his part, so always let him know who the boss is and he'll be happier and more welcoming to a baby.

When decided to have a child let him know what's going on, let him into what will be the babies room, and check it out, he'll soon get bored and go about his business. When you have the baby, have someone bring a blanket or something the baby has worn back to your house and let the chow smell it, just leave it in the cradle, (you don't want him to think it's a plush toy, so don't allow him to do more than smell, no pawing or anything). Next when the baby is home, don't push the chow away from you when you are taking care of the baby, let him lie near you and be a part of the family. (this will offset any jealousy he may feel) Never allow a young child to be with a dog unsupervised.

Another important thing, start teaching the baby right away how a chow or any animal is to be treated. Even little toddlers should understand, that poking fingers in eyes, pulling on ears, biting and hitting are not proper behavior towards and animal, neither is squeezing etc. This isn't just good for the pet, but I'm convinced that childern who learn how to proberly treat animals grow up to be more compassionate humans in all respects.

I would suggest you search through the archives on this site and read what's been said about chows and children and general training. Chows and childern can get along, just like Rotties and childern or Pit Bulls and childern, it's all in how they are raised for the most part and how they are expected to behave.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Before you start getting into all kinds of temperament and breeding issues and things you may have heard from people about Chows just walk your Chow around parks where there are kids if you have friends with children visit them or have them visit you with the kids, In the beginning keep the kids and the Chow a safe distance apart just to get a feeling of what's going on don't rush off to the playground and push him into a bunch of kids Take it slow until you see how he is going to react. Be real careful with children around and watch your Chows reaction If a child wants to pet him or approach him make sure your chow sees them first, as they approach watch your Chow carefully but don't let any child or adult just walk up out of no where and start petting him always watch your Chows reaction to what ever is going on until you get to know him. If it turns out he doesn't like Children that's really no big deal right now and doesn't mean he won't like your children. If it turns out he doesn't like children at all that still doesn't mean he's a bad Chow,don't panic that can be delt with in further post. You should go through all the past post and do some reading about Chows just to get some idea what a Chow is all about.

Some Chows don't like having people stick their hands in its face to sniff like you are taught to do with dogs. My Chow hates it she gets suspicious of people approaching her slowly trying to get her to sniff thier hands so becarefull with that approch, Can't really blame them who knows where those hands have been. .

What ever it is you have heard about Chows with kids, Not true. there are many families on this site with small Children and Chows everyone is still alive and doing fine.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I'm not sure what you mean by the right temperament?"
---

When I wrote, "Do you have the right 'temperament' needed to deal with a dominant and very intelligent dog", I meant being assertive, confident, patient, and understanding how Chows think. They are independent thinkers, and getting them to do things is sometimes like being in a chess game.

:)
roifosch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roifosch »

Do you think if I started rollerblading during walks that he would get used to it? I've walked him by school parks a few times and he doesn't really do anything. But then we've had kids come running up to him and he doesn't seem to like that. It's almost as if he's the only one allowed to say what happens and when.

I'll look at some other posts, thanks for your help :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Rollarblading with a Chow? I've tried that a few times first they walk so slow and have to stop and smell everything you spend most of your time standing in one place but on the other hand if they see a cat or rabbit you better hang on for your life. I have scars all over me from trying to rollarblade or bike with my Chow.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Hi roifosch -

Congratulations both on getting a chow and getting engaged!

I'm glad you're looking ahead to the potential problems you might have. Victory gave you some excellent advice and I'm just going to add to that.

One of the things I'd recommend is for you to look around for a good training class. Some places have classes that include children and that would be a great thing for you. I'd really encourage you to ask a lot of questions about the training methods they use and maybe even observe a class before actually joining in. Some places use pretty harsh methods, so if they recommend a corrective collar and corrections in order to stop your dog from reacting to people I'd say stay far away from them. What you want is a place that works within your dog's temperament and teaches you how to reinforce him for positive actions instead of punishing him for unwanted behaviors.

And some places have a tough time with chows - these are generally instructors who are uneducated and prejudiced. Going to a place like that won't help either. But a good instructor will help you learn how to observe your dog and see when you should reinforce certain behaviors, which will help you tremendously.

In the meantime, there are some things you can do. First of all, I'd try to avoid places where there are skateboarders or rollerblading kids unless you can find some of these kids who will help you work through your dog's reactions. If you could go to a place where you run into these kids, maybe talk to some parents (if there are some there) and see if you can do a sit-down introduction between your dog and the kids that may help. It sounds like he's nervous when they're moving fast, but if they can first meet him when they're sitting down and everyone is relaxed - and then slowly progress to the moving part it may help him understand that it's the same people, just moving differently!

As far as the rollerblading goes, you can certainly try to get him used to it by having the rollerblades around him. You may want to put on one rollerblade and keep on one shoe - and then just kind of glide a few feet and then step with your other foot. This way he gets tiny bits of rollerblading exposure first. As he gets used to it, you might try more. But keep in mind that you lose a certain amount of control over him when you're on rollerblades. Keep yourself safe too!

Another thing you can try is to go to a parking lot outside of a big store, where there's a lot of hustle and bustle. Stay clear out in the parking lot at first and just walk him around. When he glances over at kids and doesn't react, praise and give him treats or petting or whatever it is he likes best. Gradully move in closer but stop before he gets stressed. Do this frequently over a period of weeks until you can walk right near the busy door area and he is relaxed and fine with all the people going by. I do this with my young dogs especially and my 16 month old will actually heel, sit, down, and do all of her tricks while people (adults, kids eating ice cream, people pushing carts) are going by just a few feet away. BUT - we started off out in the parking lot and gradually worked our way in!

If you have kids around that are willing to interact with him and you are confident that he will not react badly, then you can hand them treats for him to get. You may want to work him on sit and maybe a trick or two (shake paws, bark, roll over, whatever) so that he can offer a behavior and then get a treat. This encourages him to interact with the kids and also gives him a purpose - in his mind, he has a job (offering the behavior) and that gives him some focus. This is a good thing - dogs need to have something to focus on.

And when you get to the point where you become pregnant and go through all of the stress of pregnancy and birth and raising a child (and the resultant lack of sleep, etc.) you will need to always make time for your dog. One of the problems people run into is that they become stretched so thin that the dog gets left out and often banished to a kennel or another room. Then the dog is stressed too and usually acts out in inappropriate (but normal dog) ways. So keeping him as an active and happy part of your life throughout it all will help you maintain a good relationship between everyone.

Best of luck to you in this, and again it's good to see that you're thinking ahead!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Do you think if I started rollerblading during walks that he would get used to it?"

---

I would consider desensitizing him to the sound by wearing them in the house for short training sessions, and have him associate the sound with a treat. Since he's only out of the shelter a few weeks, he needs time to mend his frayed nerves too. Whatever got him into the shelter system, his time spent there, and starting a new life with you is already a lot of stress to deal with and absorb.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Hi and welcome!!! I have an 8 1/2 year old Chow named Rogan. I also have an 8 year old rottweiler and a 5 1/2 year old human child. Here's what I can tell you about bringing a child into the house.

Many people here feel that training is not necessary for Chows. I believe that, if you are going to have small children around the chow, you need to have some training on the dog. Rogue was in obedience from 10 weeks until about 3 years old (when he got his CD). When our son was born, it was so nice to be able to have Rogue under control. Excitement didn't really start until the baby began to move. Be prepared to have gates all over your house.

There was about a 2 year window when Rogue, Nina and Kel (the human child) were not in the same place. Kel needed to learn manners and Rogue and Nina needed to learn tolerance. Kel also had to show dominance over the dogs (feeding them, walking them -- two leads -- and giving them commands and treats).

Definitely hook up with a trainer who understands Chows (as you'll see many of them don't) and they will work with you to make sure that your family stays happy.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
roifosch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roifosch »

I found a few trainers in my area that work exclusively with big dogs so I check those out. He's potty trained and he walks on a leash fine so he's not out of control, but I'm sure classes won't hurt.

My 4 year old nephew is coming to visit in a few weeks, how would I introduce them? Should I have my nephew play with Bon, so Bon knows he's not a threat?

Sorry if I sound completely clueless, I've never had a big dog before! :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Take a look at this website it may be of some help, read breed info Your really not dealing with a big dog or a small dog. Myself and some of the others would say your not dealing with a Dog at all.

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/states.htm

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/breeds/chows/
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Classes are good for a number of reasons. Even if you're capable of training on your own, a class allows you to work your dog around other dogs and people. I've shown my dogs to nearly 30 performance titles and yet I still go to classes so that I have that class atmosphere to work in. I can do all the training on my own but the class is invaluable for the interactions and distractions it offers.

These "big dog" trainers may use harsh methods, so please be sure to check and see what their training is truly like. Even ones that say they use positive reinforcement may also use a lot of force, so you have to be careful with that. Chows need a firm yet gentle hand for training.

With your nephew - first thing is that you need to establish some rules for the child. He needs to understand that there are ways to pet and interact and he has to follow those rules or he can't be around your dog at all. Kids can be pretty hard on a dog at times! So he needs to be shown how to properly pet your dog, and maybe how to give a treat when your dog sits for him or does some other trick.

As far as the introduction goes .. if you have any fear that your dog will be uncomfortable or protective you may want to have him on leash, although holding him back on leash can cause some problems too. I would have your nephew sit quietly (if possible) with an adult next to him and let your dog approach them. If he'll take a treat that would be great for them to give him a treat when he approaches. And then once your dog has had an opportunity to greet and check them out, the child may be allowed to pet him nicely. You''ll have to assess the behavior and see how it goes. If your dog appears uncomfortable, nervous or upset then it would be best if the child didn't approach him at all.

I've never had a problem with my chows being a problem around children. While two of the three may not run over to be petted, they are comfortable and relaxed around people. I always encourage them to be relaxed and I reward for those behaviors whenever I can.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Codybear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codybear »

I've never had Cody in formal training, just what we work on together in the house or in the yard. I always encourage everyone to just treat Cody like another human. We have alot of young neices and nephews come over and they are all to the point where they just say hey to him and go about their business. One of my nephews is terrified of dogs but relates to Cody quite well. Cody is aloof and prefers the hugs and kisses come from immediate family but he will tolerate them from others. I keep an eye on them when they are around him, not so much out of fear of what he might do, but moreso to make sure they are being respectful to him. good luck
roifosch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roifosch »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Take a look at this website it may be of some help, read breed info Your really not dealing with a big dog or a small dog. Myself and some of the others would say your not dealing with a Dog at all.

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/states.htm

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/breeds/chows/
Thanks for the links, they were really helpful. I'm going to go through my vet to find classes for Bon. Rather than find just anyone online.

My nephew has 2 dogs at home, both german shepherds, so he's used to "dog manners." I'm sure it'll be fine, I just needed some reassurance